‹ Prequel: The New World
Sequel: The New World 3
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 2

Finale

When Sabrina heard that gunshot she told Ana that it was nothing even though she had a bad feeling. She closed her eyes for a second before she felt something. Her eyes snapped open when she felt a cool breeze by her then it was gone.

What the hell was that? Maggie doesn't have any windows open and nobody moved.

She then saw the kitchen curtain move slightly without the window being open.

That's strange.

"I'm done." Sabrina looked down at the bowl and saw that there was no more pudding.

"You ate it all?"

"Yeah. You were daydreaming so I ate your part too."

Sabrina poked Ana in the side playfully before she got up to rinse the bowl. The two of them decided to enter the living room where the others were. Once they entered Daryl and Glenn entered through the front door.

"Rick an' Shane ain't back?" Daryl asked.

"No." Lori answered.

"We heard a shot."

"Maybe they found Randall."

"We found 'im."

"Is he back in the shed?" Maggie asked.

"He's a walker." Daryl said.

"Did you find the walker that bit him?" Hershel asked.

"No, the weird thing is he wasn't bit." Glenn said.

"How is that possible?" Sabrina asked.

"I don't know." Glenn said again.

"His neck was broke."

"So he fought back." Patricia said.

"The thing is, Shane an' Randall's tracks were righ' on top of each other. An' Shane ain't no tracker, so he didn't come up b'hind 'im. They were t'gether."

"Would you please get back out there and find Rick and Shane and find out what on earth is going on?" Lori pleaded going up to Daryl.

"Ya got it."

"Thank you."

Daryl took off back out the door along with Glenn and Andrea. The others sat down and talked while Sabrina stayed silent. T-Dog noticed her being quiet so he went to her. "You ok there Sabrina?"

She snapped out of her thoughts and looked at T-Dog. "Do you ever get that feeling that something bad's going to happen?"

"Sometimes. Why? Are you getting one right now?"

The others stopped talking and looked at her. "Yeah, I'm getting that feeling but I don't know why. The fields and everything secure?"

"Yeah. We checked the fences and everything multiple times." T-Dog said.

Glenn came back in with a worried look on his face.

"What's wrong?" Maggie asked.

"You might want to come out and see this."

Him, Maggie, Beth, Jimmy and Hershel went out onto the porch. A second later Andrea and Beth came in. "Patricia, we need to turn off the lights." Andrea said.

Everyone inside started scrambling to get the lights off. Ana went to her mom and she held her daughter tightly.

"Everything's going to be ok." She said soothingly to Ana as she went upstairs.

Sabrina started packing their clothes back up when Lori came into their room. "Have you two seen Carl?"

"No." Sabrina said.

"The last time I saw him, he was standing by the window in yours and Rick's room."

Lori had fear written all over her face before she sprinted down the stairs.

"Mom? Where do you think Carl went?"

"I don't know baby." She said packing quickly. "My guess he followed Rick when nobody was paying attention."

A few seconds later there were gunshots going off.

"Mom, the barns on fire."

Sabrina went to the window and saw that the barn was indeed on fire. "Rick and Carl might be in there."

"Do you think they got out?"

"I'm sure they did. And it looks like the others are helping out."

Sabrina picked the two bags up and headed down the stairs with Ana close behind.

"Now what are we going to do?" Ana asked panicked.

"We're thinking baby, we're thinking." She said.

Carol came back into the house and told everyone that they had to go now. Sabrina threw the bags over her shoulder and Ana was right in front of her heading out the door.

"Lori." Carol said.

"Hershel!" Lori called over and over. "Hershel, it's time to go!

"Come on! Now!" Carol yelled.

Everyone started running down the porch steps and away from the walkers. Sabrina and Ana heard Patricia screaming in agony.

"Baby, whatever you do don't look back!"

They made it to the old red truck and Ana climbed into the passengers seat. Sabrina started climbing in until something grabbed her clothes and pulled her back. She shut the door quickly before the walkers could get to Ana. Sabrina finally got loose from the walker's grasp and pulled out a pocket knife then stabbed it in it's head. Blood went spewing everywhere, getting on her clothes. She heard Glenn yell for her and Ana to get in the Kia with them. Sabrina motioned for the sobbing Ana to follow and she did. Once they got in the car they sped off. Ana held her mom closely while she sobbed hysterically.

"Shh. It's ok baby. It didn't hurt me. Everything's fine now." She said into Ana's hair while kissing her head and rubbing her back. "Momma's safe. Shh."

"Are you sure it didn't get you?" Glenn asked.

"Yeah. I'm sure."

Ana finally calmed down and fell asleep with her head in Sabrina's lap.

I almost lost my life. I would've left Ana all alone in this cruel world. She thought while looking out the window with tears streaming down her face.

She started panicking when the car stopped. "What happened?"

"Nothing. Everything's fine Sabrina, I'm gonna drive." Glenn said trying to calm her down.

Glenn and Maggie switched sides quickly then started comforting Maggie before he turned the car around to head to the highway.

I wonder if the others made it out. I pray that they did.

The rest of the ride to the highway was quiet. About forty-five minutes later Ana started waking up and they stopped on the highway where they left some supplies for Sophia. Sabrina and Ana got out of the car. When the two of them was Daryl and his bike they ran to him. Daryl barely had time to get off of his bike before they hugged him tightly. Sabrina's arms were around his middle and Ana's were around his leg. He put one arm around Sabrina, pulling her closer and put his other behind Ana's head bringing her closer.

"I'm so glad your safe." She sobbed into Daryl's dirty, sweaty neck.

"Glad the two of ya are safe." He said back sincerely.

After the group got done hugging each other and making sure one another were alright Rick wanted to know how everyone found each other.

"Well, this guys' tail lights zigzaggin' all over the road-figured he had ta be Asian, drivin' like tha'." Daryl said jokingly while he held Sabrina and Ana close.

"Good one." Glenn said.

"Wait, you were behind us the whole time?"

"Sorta. Where's the rest of us?"

It finally dawned on Sabrina that Shane, Jimmy, Patricia and Andrea weren't with the group.

"We're the only ones who made it so far."

"Shane?" Lori asked.

Rick shook his head silently. Sabrina felt like there was a huge walnut in her throat. She was relieved but sad.

"Andrea?" Glenn asked.

"She saved me, then I lost her." Carol said.

"We saw her go down." T-Dog said.

"Patricia?"

"They got her, too. Took her right from me. I was-I was holdin' onto her, Daddy. She just-" Beth said to Hershel before breaking down. "What about Jimmy? Did you see Jimmy?"

"He was in the RV. It got overrun." Rick said.

"You definitely saw Andrea?"

"There were walkers everywhere."

"Did you see her?"

"I'ma go back."

"Daryl-" Sabrina started when he let her and Ana go.

"No." Rick said.

"We can't jus' leave 'er."

"We don't even know if she's there." Lori said.

"She isn't there. She isn't. She's somewhere else or she's dead. There's no way to find her."

"So we're not even going to look for her?" Glenn asked.

"We gotta keep moving. There have been walkers crawling all over here."

"I say we head East." T-Dog said still hanging off the blue truck door.

"Mom." Ana said worriedly when she saw the approaching walker.

"Stay off the main roads. The bigger the road, the more walkers, more assholes like this one. I got 'im." Daryl said then shot his crossbow.

Rick started instructing everyone to load into the red truck, and the green Kia. Sabrina made Ana go into the red truck while she rode on the back of Daryl's motorcycle. She was nervous to get on it because she's never been on one before.

"Ya never been on one have ya?" He asked watching her with amusement clearly written on his face.

"What gave you that idea?" She asked sarcastically as she got on.

"Hold on tight."

She wrapped her arms securely around his waist and then they took off. Daryl led the group off the highway and down some roads. They had been driving about an hour before Daryl had to stop when someone honked the horn. He shut the bike off and the others got out to see what was going on. She got off the bike and picked Ana up.

"Ya out?"

"Running on fumes." Rick replied to Daryl.

"We can't stay here." Maggie stated.

"We can't all fit in one car." Glenn said.

"We'll have to make a run for some gas in the morning."

"Spend the night here?" Carol asked.

"I'm freezing." Carl said.

It was almost winter after all.

"We'll build a fire, yeah?" Lori asked.

"Ya go out lookin' fer firewood, stay close. Only got so many arrows. How ya doin' on ammo?"

"Not enough." Rick answered.

"We can't just sit here with our asses hanging out." Maggie said.

"Watch your mouth." Hershel scolded harshly. "Everyone stop panicking and listen to Rick."

"Alright, we'll set up a perimeter. In the morning, we'll find gas and some supplies. We'll keep pushing on."

"Glenn and I can go make a run now, try and scrounge up some gas."

"No, we stay together. God forbid something happens and people get stranded without a car."

"Rick, we're stranded now."

"I know it looks bad, we've all been through hell and worse, but at least we found each other. I wasn't sure-I really wasn't-but we did. We're together. We keep it that way. We'll find shelter somewhere. There's gotta be a place."

Sabrina felt Daryl's arm go around her waist while the others were trying to talk some sense into Rick. Sure he had good points but hello, they were vulnerable.

"We'll make camp tonight over there, get on the road at the break of day." He said pointing to some stone walls.

"Does this feel right to you?" Carol asked going up to Sabrina and Daryl.

"What if walkers come through, or another group like Randall's?" Beth asked Rick.

"Ya know I found Randall, righ'? He had turned, bu' he wa'n't bit."

"How's that possible?" Beth and Sabrina said in unison.

"Rick, what the hell happened?" Lori asked the silent Rick.

"Shane killed Randall. Jus' like he always wan'ed ta."

"Then the herd got him?" Sabrina asked Rick.

Rick was silent.

"Rick, what the hell is going on?" She asked getting upset.

"We're all infected." Rick finally said.

"What?" Sabrina asked not believing what she just heard.

"At the CDC, Jenner told me. Whatever it is, we all carry it." Rick explained.

Why would he keep that from us?!

"And you never said anything?" Carol asked as if reading Sabrina's mind.

"Would it have made a difference?"

"You knew this whole time?" Glenn asked.

"How could I have known for sure? You saw how crazy that mo-"

"That is not your call. Ok, when I found out about the walkers in the barn, I told, for the good of everyone." Glenn said cutting Rick off.

"Well, I thought it best that people didn't know."

Everyone was silent and Rick walked off with Lori right on his tail. Daryl pulled Sabrina closer before releasing her and messing with his crossbow. Daryl went a little was into the woods to gather some wood for the fire while the others still stood there silently. A few hours later nightfall hit and everyone was starting to huddle at the fire for warmth. Ana fell asleep in between Sabrina's legs, using her left leg for a pillow. And she was sitting by Carol just staring into the fire.

"We're not safe with him keeping something like that from us. Why do you need him? He's just gonna pull you down." Sabrina heard Carol say.

She looked over to see who Carol was talking to.

"Na. Rick's done alright by me."

"You're his henchman and I'm a burden, so is Sabrina. We deserve better."

"Carol if I were you I wouldn't be putting me in something that has nothing to do with me." She warned.

"An' shorty ain't a burden. Wha' do ya wan'?" Daryl asked Carol.

"A man of honor." Carol answered.

"Rick has honor."

The others started talking quietly until they heard a noise. "What was that?" Beth asked a little scared.

"Could be an'thing. Could be a raccoon, could be a possum."

"A walker." Glenn stated.

"We need to leave. I mean, what are we waiting for?" Carol asked panicked.

"Which way?" Glenn asked.

"It came from over there." Maggie said.

"Back from where we came." Beth said.

"Yeah."

Sabrina picked a sleeping Ana up and got closer to Daryl.

"The last thing we need is for everyone to be running off in the dark. We don't have the vehicles. No one's traveling on foot." Rick said.

"Don't panic." Hershel said in a hushed voice.

"I'm not-I'm not sitting here, waiting for another herd to blow through. We need to move, now." Maggie said.

"No one is going anywhere."

"Do something." Carol spat out.

"I am doing something!" He shot back. "I'm keeping this group together, alive. I've been doing that all along, no matter what. I didn't ask for this. I killed my best friend for you people for Christ's sake!"

Sabrina's heart stopped when those five words came out of Rick's mouth. She couldn't believe that Rick, the easy-going, nicest person, killed his best friend Shane. Everyone fell silent after his rant.

"You saw what he was like, how he pushed me, how he compromised us, how he threatened us. He staged the whole Randall thing, led me out to put a bullet in my back. He gave me no choice. He was my friend, but he came after me."

Carl started crying into Lori's chest and Sabrina moved even closer to Daryl.

Rick is losing his mind like Shane!

"My hands are clean."

Silence.

"Maybe you people are better off without me. Go ahead. I say there's a place for us, but maybe-maybe it's just another pipe dream. Maybe-maybe I'm fooling myself again. Why don't you-why don't you go and find out yourself? Send me a postcard. Go on, there's the door. You can do better? Let's see how far you get."

Still silence.

"No takers? Fine. But get one thing straight-you're staying this isn't a democracy anymore."