‹ Prequel: The New World
Sequel: The New World 3
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 2

Ch.3

When nightfall hit Dale was on top of the RV while Sabrina, Carol, Andrea and Daryl were all inside of the RV. Carol was is the back crying herself to sleep while Andrea was putting her gun together and Daryl was laying on the floor. Sabrina came out of the bathroom to see Daryl getting up from the floor looking determined and agitated.

"I need my clip now." He said to Andrea as he put his crossbow over his shoulder.

Andrea handed it to him and then he said. "I'm gonna walk the road. Look for the liddle girl."

"I'll come to." She said giving Andrea a stern stare.

"Got yer weapons?"

"Right here." Sabrina said patting her knife holster and her ninja throwing knife pouch around her thigh.

The two exited the RV with their flashlights on and Daryl informed Dale that the two were going to go in the woods to look for Sophia again. Once they got into the woods Sabrina pulled out her knife just in case something happened.

"Do you think we'll find Sophia?"

"Are ya doubting that will find her?"

"No. Trust me, I have as much faith as you do in this matter...."

"But?"

"But there's this little part in me that knows something happened to her."

"Shorty, yer female intuition stuff is wrong."

"Anyway..." I said getting ready to change the subject. "How do you know the woods so well?"

"Why are you askin' me?"

"I'm just trying to have some kind of conversation. How about you tell me and I'll tell you anything that you wanna know. Deal?"

"Deal." He said as we shook hands then started walking again.

"I was younger than the liddle girl when I got lost in the woods. Nine days in the woods eating berries, wiping my ass with poison oak."

"Didn't your parents worry?"

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle was doing another stint in juvie. Didn't even know I was gone. I made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear. Except my ass itched somethin' awful. Only difference is Sophia's got people lookin' for her. I call that an advantage."

"What about your mom?"

"She was a drunk. One night she was smoking an' fell passed out an' burnt the house down, killin' herself."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Soon there was a noise that put the two in high alert, with their weapons drawn they followed the noise. They came to a clearing and found a miniature campsite and a walker hanging from a tree.

"What the..."

Daryl went up to the tree to examine the walker and read the note. "Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit. Dumbass didn't know enough ta shoot himself in the head. Turned himself into a big swingin' piece a bait. And a mess."

"Daryl please." Sabrina ground out.

"What?" He asked turning around. "You alright?"

"I think I'm gonna hurl."

"Go ahead if ya gotta."

"Can we just change the subject please. How'd you learn to use that?"

"Ya gotta eat. That's one thing these walkers and us have in common. I guess it's the closest he's been ta food since he turned. Look at 'im, hangin' up there like a big pinata. The other geeks came an' ate all the flesh off his legs."

"Oh God." Sabrina turned around and hurled up the beans she had for dinner with Ana.

Once she was through she wiped her mouth and turned around. "You couldn't stop could you?"

"Call it payback for gettin' inta my home front. Which reminds me ya still have ta tell me yers."

"I will as soon as you kill the thing." She said pointing to the walker.

"He's not hurtin' nobody. Ain't gonna waste an arrow either. He made his choice. Opted out. Let 'im hang."

"Alright, I understand that but if you want to know something about me, put a damn arrow through it's head before it calls more of his kind."

He grunted and shot the thing. "Waste of an arrow. Now ya gotta tell me 'bout yer home front an' yer relation to Shane."

"I guess that's fair." She said as they started back to the RV.

"Let's see... how detailed do you want?"

"As detailed as ya wanna be."

"Well let's start off with Shane first. He's a friend, that's it. I was living in an apartment complex and these teens decided to throw a little party. One of them dropped a joint or something and caught the whole building on fire."

"That sucks."

"Tell me about it. I was working as a dispatcher and I asked Shane if me and Ana could stay at his house until I find my own. And he agreed. Nothing went any further than that. Are you sure you want to know about--"

"I told ya mine, tell me yers."

"Fine. Well me and my parents didn't really get along--"

"Nobody gets along with their parents."

"Ok fine. My parents didn't like me at all. They would abuse me verbally, physically and mentally. My mom said that I was too ugly for this world my dad he would always yell at me for the stupidest things like how to open a can of soda. I was pretty much a maid to them when I was four, going to get them beer out of the fridge, trying to cook, you name it. And because I was four years old I didn't know how to cook, so every time I'd burn the food they'd pretty much stick my hands in the hot food to teach me a lesson."

"Damn. How come ya never ran away?"

"I did, when I was five. I went to a church and when they found me, they locked me in the shed for two days without any food or water."

"Child services never came?"

"My neighbors called them over and over again but my parents always got out of it because my mom was screwing the chief of police to get out of it. And my dad was screwing a judge at the time. But once they let me out of the shed, later that night I ran off again to my grandma's. She knew what was going on and she tried to help me but again my mom and dad were screwing the higher ups to get out of an investigation."

"So ya started living with yer grandmom?"

"Yeah until I was fifteen because she was murdered. I finally got a boyfriend and I was spending a little time with him and when I went back to my grandma's police were there and it was taped off. My mom and dad had this look in their eyes telling me that they done it. So I had to start living with them again. But things got even worse."

"How?"

"Well... my parents were in the kitchen doing something and me and my boyfriend were in the living room watching TV. He suddenly pins me to the couch, slapping me because I was trying to get him to stop trying to get my clothes off and I screamed for help. My parents came in slowly and just stood there. They stood there and watched me get raped. When he was finally done my mom and dad paid him and he left. When he left they laughed at me and walked away."

"You've got ta be kiddin' me."

"No, I'm not Daryl." She said looking at him with tears in my eyes. "They poisoned themselves by drinking too much and they died. Nine months later I had Ana."

"So you don't know where this piece a shit guy is?"

"No clue, hopefully he died and got eaten by the walkers."

Sabrina didn't notice until she regained her composure that Daryl's hand was on her back to comfort her. When they made it to the tree line he took his hand away as they went over the guard rail again. Once they made it to the RV Dale was standing by it with hopeful eyes. Daryl had a disappointed look on his face and went inside. Sabrina shook her head sadly and went inside too. When they entered Andrea was gone and Carol had in the back crying harder now.

"Wonder where Andrea went?"

"Who knows and who cares." Daryl said flopping in his previous spot with his his behind his head.

Sabrina stepped over Daryl to go into the bathroom and brush the vomit taste out of her mouth. Once she was done she came back out to see Andrea sitting at the table with a satisfied smile.

"What?" She asked sitting across from Andrea.

"Dale finally gave me my gun back."

"So that means you're going to quit acting like a stuck up bitch now?"

Daryl chuckled a little with a smirk playing across his lips as his eyes were still closed. Andrea glared at Sabrina and got up.

"I'm taking watch." Andrea said then left.

"Why'd ya go an' hurt the princess' feelins'?"

"She's been giving me these looks for the past two days and I'm tired of it. Now zip it so I can get some sleep." Sabrina said laying down in the long seat.

She was dosing off when Dale came in and sat in the drivers seat. "Everything ok Dale?"

"Yeah, everything's fine Sabrina, you just go on to sleep."

Sabrina closed her eyes again and finally fell asleep. She didn't even feel someone put a blanket on her so she could stay warm.