‹ Prequel: The New World
Sequel: The New World 3
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 2

Ch.5

Sabrina and Ana were cleaning up the breakfast dishes when Lori came out of her tent. "Morning Lori."

"Morning Sabrina. I can't believe I slept in." She said walking over to Carol to help hang the clean clothes.

"You must've needed it. Feeling alright?"

"Next time wake me, alright? Especially on laundry day."

"I can manage. I had an idea I wanted to run by the two of you."

"What's that? Lori asked.

"That big kitchen of theirs got me thinking. I wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. Maybe we all pitch in and cook dinner for Hershel and his family tonight. I'm kind of looking for things to keep my mind occupied."

"I think that's a good idea Carol." Sabrina said.

"After everything they've done for us, seems like the least we could do."

"You mind extending the invitation?"

"I'll go do it. Ana's got to ask Hershel something anyway."

"Thank you Sabrina."

"Ana head on up to the house while I check up on T-Dog real quick."

"Ok."

Sabrina folded the hand towel and put it on the red cooler then went to T-Dog. "How's your arm doing?"

"It's doing a lot better."

"Can I see?"

T-Dog held out his arm and she took the gauze bandage off to examine it. The stitches on his arm looked like a professional had done it.

"The stitches are perfect. Who done it?"

"Um...Patricia I think her name was."

"She done a great job." She said as she wrapped a new gauze bandage around his now closed wound.

"Thanks Sabrina."

"No problem. If it starts getting irritated ask Patricia for some antibiotics."

T-Dog thanked her again and she headed to the house. She let out a gasp when someone caught her by the elbow. The person turned her around and she came face to face with Daryl. "Daryl, don't do that."

"Scared?" He asked smirking.

"No." He raised his eyebrow with a 'Yeah right' look.

"Did you need something? I've got to go talk to Hershel."

"Um..." He said letting go of her elbow and rubbing his neck nervously. "I uh...thanks for breakfast. Better than squirrel all the time."

"You're welcome Daryl."

He started walking away when Sabrina called his name. He stopped and looked at her over his shoulder. "Wha'?"

"Just be careful. We don't need anyone else getting hurt or dying in the group. Ok?"

"I'll be fine...Shorty." He said smirking.

"The next time you call me that-"

"Yer gonna wha'?"

"I'm going to attack you with something."

He gave her another look that said 'Challenge accepted' and walked away. Sabrina went up the porch steps and knocked on the door. "Come in."

Sabrina opened the door and ushered Ana inside. "What can I do for you two?" Hershel asked from the dining room table.

"My daughter wanted to ask you something." She said smiling while putting her hands on her daughter's shoulder. "Go on sweetie."

"Mr. Greene, I was uh...wondering if we could put some kind of swing up." Ana said while nervously picking at her index finger.

"I don't see why not." He said smiling at her. "There's a ladder, old tires, and some wood in the back of the house." He instructed Sabrina.

"Thank you." Ana said then left the house.

"Hershel?"

"Yes?"

"Us girls were talking outside and we would like to cook for you and your family. The group wants to give you a thank you dinner for helping us out and saving Carl's life. And don't take this the wrong way but I'm not taking no for an answer."

Hershel sighed and then finally agreed to one night. Sabrina thanked him and left the house to go back to Lori and Carol.

"We get to cook dinner in the kitchen for one night."

"Thank you Sabrina." Carol said hugging her.

It finally turned to late afternoon, early evening when the groups came back, well all except for Daryl. Carol went into the RV upset because they didn't find Sophia, Sabrina felt bad for her.

"Shane, Rick, could you do me and Ana a favor?"

"Sure."

"Do you think you two can put up a swing so Ana and Carl have something to do?" Ana asked. "Hershel and he said yes."

"Sure." Rick said.

"Where do ya want it Ana-Banana?"

"Right there." She said pointing to a thick tree branch.

"Good choice. Nice and sturdy." Shane said to her.

Rick and Shane started putting up a wooden swing. Once they were done Ana thanked them and started swinging. Sabrina was in the kitchen helping Lori and Carol cook dinner.

"It's nice to be cooking in a real kitchen again." Lori said.

"Oh, yeah? I never thought I'd be so happy to see a potato peeler."

"I never thought I'd see a cheese grater again." Sabrina said.

"I'm just glad we're not roasting squirrels over a fire in the woods."

"Thank you, Patricia, so much for letting us into your house." Carol said.

"You're welcome honey. Sabrina, where's you're little girl?"

"She's outside playing with Carl on the swing."

"She looks just like you."

"Thank-"

"Momma! Momma!" Ana said running into the house.

"What baby?" She asked worriedly.

"Walker."

"Stay here in the house with them." She said running out of the house.

Sabrina ran into the field where Rick, T-Dog, Glenn and Shane were. She got closer to the guys then gasped. "Daryl."

"Rina, can you look him over real quick?" Rick asked.

"Sure."

She looked him over and found a wound on his left side and a bullet scrapping on the left side of his head. "He's not bit if that's why you guys are worrying. He's got a stab wound and of course a bullet scrapping. He's going to need stitches on his side. Who's the dumbass that shot him?"

"Alright. Let's get him to the house."

"Probably Andrea. She was on the RV keeping watch." T-Dog said.

"He's wearing ears." Glenn said frantically.

Rick ripped the makeshift ear necklace off of Daryl's neck and shoved it into his shirt. "Let's keep that to ourselves." He instructed.

"Guys, isn't this Sophia's?" T-Dog asked.

"It is."

"We'll find out more once Daryl's fixed up." Rick said and the group kept walking.

Once they got to the house Hershel and Patricia started patching Daryl up. Sabrina was sitting at the dining room table shaking slightly.

"You ok?" Maggie said coming into the room.

"She'll be fine. She's just a little shaken up." Lori said for Sabrina as she rubbed her back.

"Alright, if you guys need anything let me know." She said then went upstairs.

"Didn't someone tell you not to shoot?" Sabrina asked Andrea coldly.

She looked to the ground. "So they did tell you and you didn't listen? Should I be surprised at this?"

"Rina, c'mon now. It was a mistake." Shane reasoned.

"A mistake? You call not listening to orders a mistake!?"

Then Hershel came out of the bedroom and Rick went to him. "How is he?"

"He'll be fine. Sewed up his side and bandaged up his head. He'll make a full recovery." He said then walked away with Patricia close behind.

Sabrina got up from her chair and entered the room with Rick and Shane.

"Where'd you find Sophia's doll?" Shane asked getting to the point.

"I found it washed up on the creek bed right there." He pointed on the map that Rick had rolled out on the bed. "She musta dropped it crossin' there somewhere."

"Cuts the grid almost in half." Rick stated looking at Shane.

"Yeah, yer welcome." He said picking at the bandage on his head.

"Stop picking at it." Sabrina hissed.

"It itches like hell, shorty." He said glaring at her then smirked.

"You're lucky you're injured." She growled out. "I'm going to finish making dinner. How about you two come along too and leave Mr. Princess alone for awhile." She said smirking at him and Daryl glared daggers into her.

They exited the room and Rick told Lori that Daryl was fine. Sabrina went to the kitchen to help Carol finish dinner. There were three tables set up. Jimmy, Glenn and Maggie sat at one. Hershel, Patricia, Dale, T-Dog, Andrea, Lori, Rick, Carol and Shane sat at the big table. Sabrina, Ana, and Beth sat at the other table. The dinner was very uncomfortable and silent, it was making Sabrina want to eat faster and get out of there.

"Does anyone know how to play guitar?" Glenn asked finally breaking the silence.

All clanking of silverware to plates stopped. "Dale found a cool 's got to know how to play." Glenn continued.

"Otis did." Patricia said.

"Yes, and he was very good, too."

Sabrina looked at Glenn sympathetically when she saw his face sadden. The silence resumed again with more tension, if that was even possible. Once dinner was done Carol got up and took a plate to Daryl. Sabrina and Ana helped clean up the kitchen then she and Ana went outside. She put Ana to bed and as soon as she was asleep she walked out of the tent and headed back to the house and saw Maggie running to the barn.

Ok?

She went inside and to Daryl's room. "Wha' now?" Daryl grumbled.

"I was just coming to get your plate and to see if you needed anything."

"I'm good." He said with his back still to her.

"Alright...well, goodnight." She said picking up the tray and headed out of the room.

Before she shut the door she heard him faintly say goodnight. She had a smile on her face as she washed his plate and glass. Sabrina finally made it back to the tent and laid down on her cot. She turned to the tent wall and fell asleep.