‹ Prequel: The New World
Sequel: The New World 3
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 2

Ch.6

Sabrina woke up to someone cursing in the tent next to hers, she got up to check on Daryl.

I thought he was supposed to be in the house resting?

"Daryl." She said quietly and cautiously.

"What?" He grumbled.

"You ok?"

"I'm fine." He said stubbornly.

"Well, if you need anything just let me know." She said walking away from the tents to start breakfast up.

The sun started to rise a little more and Lori along with Carl came out of the tents. "Morning Sabrina."

"Morning Lori. Morning Carl."

"Morning." He yawned.

"What are you two doing up so early?"

"We were going to help Patricia feed the chickens." Carl said.

"I just saw her go to the chicken coop with a few buckets."

"Come on mom." Carl said dragging Lori.

Sabrina giggled a little and went back to getting the dishes set out. She stopped what she was doing when she heard thumping noises. When she looked up she saw the horse that Daryl took out running in the field.

She came back. Sabrina thought in relief as she began the task again.

After breakfast the group started their chores. Carol was doing the laundry, Dale and T-Dog were setting up the shader for the RV, Andrea came out of the RV and to Daryl's tent, Rick and Shane were talking about a plan, Glenn was handing everybody peaches then going to Rick and Shane, and Carl and Ana were playing on the swing. Sabrina and Lori were done cleaning the breakfast dishes when Shane came up to Lori.

"Lori, we've got a problem." He said holding a gun. "Carl had this tucked in his waistband."

Lori took the gun looking furious and went to get Rick. Sabrina looked over at Ana and she had a guilty look on her face.

"Ana, did you know he had that?"

"Yes. He showed it to me when we were playing on the swing. I'm sorry I didn't tell anyone."

Soon Rick, Carl and Dale came back into the shaded area. "Sit down Carl." Lori said angrily. "How did you get this?"

"It was in the RV."

Lori put the gun in her waistband and went over to the small group.

"It was my fault. I let him into the RV. He said he wanted a walkie, that you sent him for one." Dale said to Rick.

"So on top of everything else, he lied. What's he thinking?"

"He wants to learn how to shoot. He asked me to teach him. Now it's non of my business, but I'm happy to do it. It's your call."

"Well, I'm not comfortable with it."

It was silent.

"Oh, don't make me out to be the unreasonable one here. Rick?"

"I know. I know but I have my concerns to--"

"There's no but. He was just shot. He's just back on his feet and he wants a gun?"

"Better than being afraid of 'em. There are guns in camp for a reason. He should learn how to handle them safely."

"I don't want my kid walking around with a gun."

"Lori, he's got to learn sometime. He won't be having someone protecting him all the time." Sabrina said trying to help Carl out.

"I see what you guys are saying. It makes perfect sense. It feels wrong. I mean, I didn't feel good about him following you out into the woods. And I wish I'd said something. I should've gone with my gut."

"He's growing up, thank God. We've got to start treating him more like an adult."

"Then he needs to act like one. He's not mature enough to handle a gun."

"I'm not going to play with it, mom. It's not a toy. I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I want to look for Sophia. I want to defend our camp. I can't do that without a gun." Carl said getting up and heading to Lori.

"Shane's the best instructor I know. I've seen him teach kids younger than Carl."

It got silent again and Lori went to Carl. "You will take this seriously and you will behave responsibly. And if I hear from anyone in this camp that you are not living up to our expectations--" She said holding Carl's chin.

"He won't let you down." Rick said.

"Ana today's the day you learn how to shoot." Sabrina said looking down at her.

"Thank you mom." Ana said hugging her mother.

"Get some tennis shoes on and I'll be waiting in the station wagon."

Ana sprinted to the tent and Sabrina climbed into the station wagon. Once Ana was in they left to the makeshift gun range. Shane started going over gun safety, loading the gun, and finally shooting the gun. The gunfire started.

"You wanna try?" Shane asked Sabrina.

"No. I'm good. Just here to see Ana do it."

Shane shrugged and checked on everybody else. Once the gunfire stopped Shane gave Andrea a heavier gun and she shot the can.

"I'd say she's got the hang of it." Shane said.

"I'd say she's ready for the advanced classes. It might be worth your while after the rest of us head back to camp."

Sabrina tuned out the conversation when Ana came to her. "You did great baby." She said smiling at Ana.

"Do you think I'm ready for the advanced class too?"

"Not just yet baby. Maybe a few more basic lessons first."

"Alright everybody, let's go back to the farm." Rick stated.

The group minus Shane and Andrea got into the vehicles and went back to the farm. Once the group got back they settled down and talked about the shooting lesson. While Ana was talking to Glenn and Dale about it Sabrina went to the house to take a quick warm shower. The warm water cascading down Sabrina's back felt so good. And feeling the dirt and grim washing away made her feel even more good. She could defiantly say she missed warm showers. When she got out she put her clothes on and brushed her hair. When Sabrina was done she started examining her face. You could tell due to the apocalypse that she hasn't been eating the minimum to stay alive. She could see her cheek bones faintly and her clothes were starting to get a little baggy on her. Sabrina finally made it out of the house and into the yard. She started running to Daryl when she saw him carrying something. When she got closer she saw Ana passed out in his arms.

"Oh my God what happened!? Hershel!" Sabrina yelled.

She and Daryl went to the house quickly and Hershel instructed Daryl to put her on the bed. Daryl sat in a chair in the corner holding his side while Sabrina was at her daughter's bedside.

"What's wrong with her?" She asked panicked with tears in her eyes.

"We need to cool her down. Patricia! We need an IV and cold rags now!" Hershel yelled. "She's on her way to a heat stroke."

Patricia came in with an IV, a bowl of water and rags. She and Hershel began putting cold rags on Ana. They then put the IV in Ana's arm.

"She's going to need fluids." Hershel explained. "I'll be back in a few minutes." He said then left the room.

"What happened?" Sabrina asked just above a whisper.

"Yer girl was chasin' a damn butterfly in the field. Couple minutes later she jus' fell."

"Daryl--"

"An'way, I'm goin' back to my tent." He said getting up and walking out.

Hershel came back to check on Ana. "She'll be fine Sabrina. She just needs to eat and have plenty of fluids."

"Thank you Hershel."

He nodded with a smile and left the two alone. After a while Sabrina kissed Ana's head and headed back to the campsite. She went to Daryl's tent because she knew that he was back in there.

"Daryl, can I come in?" She asked softly.

He gave a grunt and she entered. "Wha' ya want shorty?"

"I just wanted to say thank you."

"I didn't do nothin'."

"But you did. You saved Ana from dying. So thank you."

"It was nothin'."

Before it registered to Sabrina on what she was doing she leaned and kissed Daryl on the lips softly. When she pulled back she had a shocked look on her face that matched Daryl's.

"I--I'm sorry." She said and quickly left his tent and ran back to the house, passing Lori as she went.

What the hell was I thinking!?

She layed down on the bed next to Ana. "Mom?" Ana grumbled sleepily.

"I'm right here baby. How are you feeling?"

"Better. How'd I get in here?"

Sabrina was silent for a moment before answering. "Daryl found you and brought you here."

"Do you like him?"

"Who?"

"Daryl. Do you like him?"

"I don't know baby. Why don't relax a little more while I--"

There was a knock on the door and Beth came in. "I brought her some food for dinner."

"I was just about to get her some dinner. Thank you Beth." Sabrina said smiling.

Beth smiled and left the room. Sabrina got up and got the tray. "Let's see what you're having? Looks like Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes with brown gravy, and some orange juice."

Sabrina fed Ana dinner and when she was done Hershel came back in. "How are you feeling young lady?" He asked smiling.

"I'm better. Thank you."

"Is she able to go back to the tent or should she stay here for the night?"

"She can go back to the tent but if she wants she can stay in the bed for tonight."

"I'll stay here."

"Thank you Hershel." Sabrina said.

He smiled with a nod and left the room. Sabrina left a short time later to eat with the others quickly.

"I heard what happened to Ana. Is she ok?" Carol asked concerned.

"She'll be fine." She said cleaning her dish.

"Rick's going to try and talk Hershel into letting us stay longer. Lori's pregnant."

So I was right.

"She's having a baby in this upside down world?"

"Yeah." Carol said sadly.

Sabrina put her plate up and hugged Carol and said goodnight. Daryl was sitting by the campfire watching her the whole time. She walked right passed Daryl without a word and went to the house. Once she got inside she gave Ana a quick bath then they laid there in bed. It didn't take Ana very long to snuggle into her mother and fall asleep. But Sabrina's mind was keeping her awake, did she actually love Daryl or was it just because he saved Ana's life? She sighed in frustration and turned to the window and saw Daryl go into his tent. She turned around to Ana and held her close. Her eyes finally grew heavy and she fell asleep.