‹ Prequel: The New World
Sequel: The New World 3
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 2

Ch.7

A few days have passed and nothing very eventful has happened. Everyone was eating breakfast in silence. Sabrina was sitting across from Daryl not making any eye contact with him. She honestly didn't know what to do, it was obvious that she loved Daryl but he didn't love her back. How could she be so stupid to think that the badass Daryl Dixon would love her back?

"Um, guys. So...the barns full of walkers." Glenn said nervously.

Everybody just froze. There were a variety of looks that Glenn got, some were scared, some were 'Are you kidding me?' and some were mixed.

"Let's go check it out?" Shane said first then started walking to the barn.

Rick and the others followed except for Sabrina and Ana.

"Why would Mr. Greene be keeping those things in the barn?"

"I don't know baby. I'm sure he has some reason."

Pretty soon she heard Daryl's angrily yell. "Stay right here and eat, I'll be right back."

"Ok mom."

Sabrina took off running to the barn to stop whatever was going on.

Why do I have a feeling it's Shane's fault?

She finally made it to see Rick push Daryl back. "Shut your mouth!" Daryl yelled at Shane.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! Y'all better calm the hell down before Hershel comes out here to find out on what's going on!" Sabrina yelled getting in between the two arguing guys.

The two of them went around her and started going after each other. Sabrina along with Andrea got in front of Daryl and pushed him back while Glenn, Rick, and Lori detained Shane.

"I'll kick your ass man! What are you doing? Don't come at me!" Shane yelled at Daryl.

Daryl stopped trying to go after Shane.

"Back off!" Rick yelled at Shane and Shane finally stopped.

"Keep your hands off me." Shane said to Lori while passing her.

"Now just let me talk to Hershel. Let me figure it out."

"What are you gonna figure out?!" Shane yelled going after Rick this time.

Sabrina went over to Shane and helped Lori push him back.

"Enough!" Lori said to Shane.

"If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land."

"Hershel sees those things in there as people- sick people-his wife, his stepson." Dale interfered.

"You knew?"

"Yesterday I talked to Hershel."

"And you waited a night?"

"Shane come on knock it the hell off." Sabrina growled.

"I thought we could survive one more night. We did. I was waiting till this morning to say something. But Glenn wanted to be the one."

"This man is crazy Rick, if Hershel thinks those things are alive or not!"

Then the barn doors started rattling. "Look what you did now jackass!" Sabrina yelled at Shane.

"Me!?"

"Yeah. If it wasn't for your yelling those things wouldn't be doing that."

"Let's go back to camp and figure this out." Rick said.

Sabrina and Shane had a glaring match going on until someone grabbed her elbow.

"C'mon shorty." Blinking a few times Sabrina looked at Daryl. That was the first time in four days that he's spoken to her.

"Run along now with your red-"

"Screw you Shane." Sabrina said walking away giving him the bird.

Once they arrived back at camp Ana hugged her mom's waist. "What's wrong baby?"

"Are there really walkers in there?"

"Unfortunately."

"Someone's going to fix it right?"

"Rick's working on it. Why don't we go into the RV and play a board game or something."

"Ok."

Sabrina leaned down and kissed Ana's head before Ana took off to the RV. Sabrina started walking to the RV until she heard someone call out.

"Shorty."

She stopped dead in her tracks. She couldn't face him right now, matter of fact she didn't want to face him. Daryl came up behind her and stood silently for a second.

"We need ta t-"

"I can't right now. I've got to help Ana with something." She said never turning to look at him.

"Fine. But once I come back we're talkin'. There ain't a way of gettin' out of it." He said then walked away.

Sabrina sighed and went into the RV. She saw Ana shuffling cards. "What are we playing?"

"21."

"Alright." She said and sat down across from Ana.

They played 21 for a little bit before they decided to call it quits. Carl came into the RV and asked if Ana could go to the horse stable with him and Sabrina said yes. Once they were gone Sabrina left the RV and headed slowly towards the field. She went through the gate and up to the barb wire fence and rested her arms on the wooden post. She sighed in content when the warm wind blew lightly, taking her hair with it. It wouldn't be long until winter came. She heard footsteps coming to her and she could tell they were Daryl's.

"You know...if there weren't walkers locked in the barn, this place would be so peaceful." She said once he was standing next to her.

"Nothin's ever peaceful, even when the world didn't turn ta shit." He said then looked at her. "'Bout the other day-"

"There's nothing to it Daryl. It was a mistake." She sighed looking out into the field.

"That's bull shorty. Ya know ya felt somethin'."

Her eyes widened as she blinked a few times.

He felt it too?

"I don't know what your talking about."

"I think ya do know what I'm talkin' 'bout." He said turning her towards him.

Sabrina and Daryl locked eyes with each other for a moment before they slowly leaned in to each other. Daryl's hands left her arms and went to cup her face and her hands went to his. Their lips finally met and when they met, sparks flew. They stood there like that for a few seconds savoring the moment. And when Daryl pulled back he saw Sabrina's eyes shut and a smile on her face.

"Still gonna deny wha' ya felt?"

"No. But Daryl, I don't know if me and you is a good idea."

He let her face go and stared hard at Sabrina. "Wha' do ya mean?"

"I mean look, the world is so different now. There's not really any time to have relationships when you don't know if you're going to make it to see the next day." She said looking into his eyes. "And all the relationships I've been in turned to shit. As you can recall when I told you about my last one." Sabrina said looking at the dry, dusty dirt ground.

"We'll make it work." He said determined. "Now c'mon shorty." He said walking away.

Sabrina caught up to him and put her arm around his waist, making sure not to touch his wound. "If we're going to make this work, you've gotta stop calling me shorty."

"It's not my fault that you're short."

Daryl grunted and glared when Sabrina poked his wounded side. "Bitch."

"That's not nice to say to your girl now is it?"

"I wouldn't a said it if ya didn't hit my side."

"I didn't hit your side, I poked it. There's a difference."

They finally made it to the camp and Ana came to them smiling. "Mom?"

"What baby?"

"Where were you?"

"I was by the fence with Daryl. What's up?" She asked putting a hand on Ana's head.

"Can I ride one of the horses?"

Daryl crossed his arms with a scoff. "Those things are dangerous." He said gruffly. "One of 'em almost got me killed."

"That's because you took the wrong one." Sabrina said looking at Daryl.

"Wha'ever." He mumbled. "I gotta go show Carol where I found those Cherokee roses. I'll be back."

"Be careful...honey bunch." She said smirking.

Daryl growled and glared at her. "Ya best not call me that again."

Sabrina watched him walk to Carol then she looked at Ana. "How about I push you on the swing?"

"Alright." Ana said smiling brightly.

They went to the swing and she started pushing Ana. "So, which horse do you like?"

"The dark tan one with a small white diamond in between it's eyes and three of the legs has white on it."

"I like the pinto horse."

"The pinto horse?"

"The one that's white with brown spots."

"Oh. I like that one too."

"So what happened? You've got it written all over your face."

"Nothing."

"Carl kissed you didn't he?"

Sabrina saw Ana blush. "I knew something happened."

"Mom please." Ana begged.

"I'll let it go for now."

Part of the group was at the porch of the house talking and Sabrina stopped swinging Ana. "You want to go get something to drink?"

"Sure." Ana said getting off the swing.

The two of them walked to the house. "Mom?"

"What baby?"

"I don't think I like Shane anymore."

"Why's that?"

"He's different now and I don't like it."

"Me neither."

"Do you know where Rick and Hershel went?" Andrea asked Sabrina once she and Ana got to the house.

"No. I've been in the field most of the day. Why? What's going on?"

Ana went up the steps and sat down by Patricia.

"I don't know. We were supposed to leave a couple of hours ago."

"Yeah, yer were. Wha' the hell?" Daryl asked coming to the group with Carol behind him.

"Rick told us he was going out." Carol said.

"Dammit. Isn't an'body takin' this seriously? We got us a damn trail. Oh, here we go."

"Daryl, don't." Sabrina said warningly when she saw him head over to Shane.

"Wha's all this?" Daryl asked as Shane came up to the group with the guns.

"You with me, man?" Shane asked Daryl while handing him a rifle. "Time to grow up. Ya already got yours?" He asked Andrea.

"Yeah. Where's Dale?" Andrea asked.

"He's on his way."

"Thought we couldn't carry." T-Dog stated as he took a gun.

"We can and we have to. Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't. How about you, man? You gonna protect yours?" Shane asked Glenn.

Glenn took the gun without hesitation.

"That's it."

"Shane you're getting ridiculous. You're starting to scare Ana. What the hell is the matter with you?!"

"Can you shoot?" He asked Maggie, completely ignoring Sabrina.

"Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight."

"We have to stay, Shane." Carl said going down the porch steps.

"What is this?" Lori said coming over.

"We ain't going anywhere, ok? Now look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Ok? He-well, he's gonna have to. Now we need to find Sophia. Am I right?" He said going to Carl and kneeling down. "Huh? Now I want you to take this. You take it, Carl, and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes. You know how. Go on, take the gun and do it."

Lori interfered and pushed Carl back away from Shane and Sabrina put her hands on Carl's shoulders. "Rick said no guns. This is not your call. This is not your decision to make." Lori growled out.

"Oh, shit." T-Dog said making everyone look to where he was looking.

What Sabrina saw was horrifying. Hershel, Jimmy and Rick were leading walkers on animal control poles. Shane took off running with Daryl and the others not to far behind.

"Daryl! No!" She yelled. "Ana I want you to stay here at the house."

"But I want to come."

"Anabelle, no."

But she didn't listen she took off following the others. Once they made it to the walkers Shane yelled at Rick and Rick yelled back.

"Why do your people have guns?" Hershel yelled at Rick.

"Are you kiddin' me? You see? You see what they're holdin' onto?" Shane yelled in his drill sergeant voice while circling the walkers.

"I see who I'm holding onto."

"No, man, you don't."

"Shane, just let us do this and then we can talk." Rick tried reasoning.

"What you want to talk about, Rick? These things ain't sick. They're not people. They're dead. Ain't got to feel nothing for them 'cause all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us--"

"Shane shut up!" Rick yelled.

"Hey, Hershel, man, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person could they walk away from this?"

Shane don't!" Sabrina yelled.

Shane didn't listen he shot a few bullets into a female walker's chest. The thing didn't go down.

"Mom." Ana said scared.

"Get behind me baby." She said pushing Ana behind her. "Shane! You need to stop!"

"That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why's it still coming?" He shot two more times. "That's it's heart, it's lungs. Why is it still coming?" He asked again and shot it some more.

"Shane enough!" Rick yelled.

"Yeah, you're right, man. That is enough." He said going to the walker and shooting it in the head.

The walker fell to the ground and the Greene family were shocked at what they just witnessed.

"Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us. Enough. Rick, it ain't like it was before! Now if y'all wanna live, if you wanna survive, you gotta fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now."

"Shane no!" Sabrina yelled again as he went to the barn.

"Ya better get back." Daryl said to Sabrina.

"You can't be serious Daryl?! You're really going to go with Shane on this?!"

"It's gotta be done."

Shane got the locks broken off and the massacre began. Most of everybody was shooting the walkers down. Sabrina kneeled down to Ana and putting Ana's head into her neck so she couldn't see what was going on. About two minutes later the gunshots settled down. She and Ana looked at all the walkers laying on the ground.

What that?

Sabrina and the others heard growling coming from the barn. And the walker emerged.

No! It can't be!

"Oh, God. Sophia? Sophia!" Carol cried running to her.

Daryl caught her in time and sunk them to the ground.

"Mom? Is that-" Ana choked out.

"Yes baby." She said quietly with tears in her eyes pulling Ana even closer.

Everybody was frozen, nobody could kill her. All this time that hey were looking for her and she was right there in the barn as a walker. Rick finally walked up to her standing a few feet away from her with his gun drawn and he shot her.