Status: One and Done

It Goes Like This

One/One

He had never seen her before. Which really wasn't saying much but they came here all the time and they knew the girls who served drinks in the roped off VIP area on the second floor. He was pretty sure one or two of the other guys had slept with three or four of the pretty women.

She had to be new though. Gabe had never seen her upstairs before, nor could he recall ever seeing her in the club at all. Okay, sure, it was dimly lit with flashing, strobing lights but he would have remembered her.

He would have remembered that body and the curves poured into dark, skin tight pants, a loose, low cut gauzy top hanging off one shoulder. He would have remembered the delicate features of her face, the apple cheeks, bright blue eyes, the cute little upturned nose, and mahogany colored hair that fell in tousled waves that screamed 'touch me, Gabe!' to him. He definitely would have remembered the smile.

The smile is where it all started.

They had been there maybe ten minutes when she appeared at their table. "What'll it be, boys?" She asked, interrupting the conversations around the table as the eyes of six hockey players swung to her. Every one of them gave her the once over, some more discreetly than others.

"You," Patrick Bordeleau had smirked. The others had giggled like schoolgirls as Patrick puffed out his chest.

"Sorry but I like my men a little less rough and tumble than you, Bordeleau," she replied. "But beer I can help you with. Maybe tequila for your sorrows once I walk away and your buddies give you shit?"

Ryan O'Reilly laughed. "I think I'm in love. What's your name?"

She smiled and Gabe felt his pulse race at the sight of it. Her eyes landed on his and the corner of her mouth lifted just a hint more. "My name is Ali. And I'll be your drink bitch this evening."

The guys laughed at that. "Are you new? I haven't seen you before," Ryan continued.

"First night. Try not to complain about me to my manager, okay, O'Reilly?"

"I won't but I can't make any promises for the rest of these idiots."

"I'm sure your captain can corral them as needed." She smiled again in Gabe's direction and this time his mouth went dry. Beside him, Jamie McGinn nudged him.

"Say something," he hissed. Gabe glared at him. Say something? He couldn't even form complete sentences in his head. No way he was going to try talking.

"So how about a round of beers for you, boys? First ones on me for that pretty overtime win tonight."

Ryan thanked her and handed her a credit card to start a tab. She smiled and walked towards the bar; Gabe's eyes never left her backside. He watched her lean into the bar and speak to the bartender who nodded in response. She turned and surveyed the room slowly and from across the room, their eyes connected again. She lifted her hand and wiggled her fingers at him.

Gabe ducked his head and blushed and when he dared look up again, she was still watching him. He smiled sheepishly before she turned, gathering a tray of beers and beginning to maneuver her way back towards them.

"Maybe you want to try actually speaking this time," Ryan said to him.

"Or not," Erik Johnson spoke up. "She's hot and I wouldn't mind taking her home tonight." His grin lit up as Ali reached their table.

"Five beers and one bottle of water, for the rookie," she smiled at Nathan MacKinnon. "Sorry, Nate. Next time you're in Canada though, drink double to make up for tonight."

"I gotta drive these lushes home anyway," he replied.

"Tell you what then; since you are being a nice guy and all, and for that nifty little game tying goal, I owe you a dance on my break. Deal?"

"Deal."

"What about game winning goals?" Jamie spoke up. "Surely the captain earned something for that."

"Guess I'll have to think up a little reward for him then. I'll be back to check on you guys!" She called over her shoulder as she sauntered away.

As the night wore on, Ali kept up a steady stream of banter with the boys as she kept the beer flowing at their table. As promised, she pulled Nate out to the dance floor with her during her break. Gabe watched them, the way she moved against him, where Nate placed his hands lightly at her waist. She laughed at something he said and leaned in close to say to him. Gabe felt a white hot rage course through him as he abruptly rose from the booth and shoved his way out.

"Drinking alone?" Ali's voice came from behind him five minutes later. He had taken up residence at one end of the bar and was nursing a scotch from his bar stool, watching sports highlights play on the TVs above the bar.

"Yeah," he muttered.

Ali frowned at his short response. “Can I get you anything?”

“I’m good,” he replied, holding up his drink. Ali shrugged and turned away from him, walking to the back.

“Who is the Ken doll?” Sherry asked, nudging Ali with her hip and a glancing in Gabe’s direction.

“Who?”

“That perfect looking blond guy who has been watching you all night. He’s hot and he kind of looks like a real life Ken doll. Less plasticy of course.”

“He’s not watching me.”

“Oh girl, but he is. Every time you walk away from that table his eyes trail you. And when you danced with his friend? I’m pretty sure I saw steam come out his ears. That was when he took up residence at the bar with the strong stuff.”

“You think he likes me?”

“I think he definitely has a crush. Now who is he?”

“He plays hockey, for the Avalanche. All of those guys play for them.”

“You should give him your number. That’s all I’m saying.”

Ali pondered Sherry’s words as she walked away before turning and heading back in Gabe’s direction. “Are you mad I danced with Nate?” she demanded to know when she came up behind him.

Gabe turned and found Ali, her eyes fiery and her hands on her hips as she waited on an answer. “Yeah, I’m a little mad.”

“Why?”

“Because I don't want any of them to touch you.”

“Excuse me?”

Gabe pushed a frustrated hand through his hair and stood abruptly. Glancing around, he spotted a door leading outside and he grabbed Ali by the wrist and pulled her outside with him. She shivered against the blast of cold air and Gabe pulled his suit jacket off, settling it around her shoulders before talking again.

“I know this is stupid but I don’t want any of them to touch you. Only me. I’m jealous.”

Ali’s smile softened. “You don’t know me.”

“I want to.”

“Why didn’t you say something?”

“Say what exactly? You’re not my girlfriend. I just met you, if you can even call it that.”

“My name’s Ali and I’ll be twenty two in three weeks. I’m an English major at the University of Denver and I want to be a high school English teacher. I’ve lived in Denver all my life and the furthest I have ever traveled was to Cheyanne, Wyoming. I work here for the extra money and I started tonight. My friend Sherry got me this job. I’ve been an Avs fan for as long as I can remember and I was ten when we won the cup in 2001. I have a twin sister who hates hockey and I still go to every home game with my dad. Roy was my favorite player growing up and I was ecstatic when he was named coach. Don’t tell him, but Jamie’s my current favorite. I have his jersey at home.”

Gabe smiled and held his hand out to her and she wrapped her hand around his and shook it. “My name’s Gabe and I play forward for the Avalanche. I’m from Sweden but I left when I was sixteen to play hockey in Canada. I’ve lived here since 2011. I also have a twin sister, as well as an older brother back home. In a few weeks I’m going to Russia to represent my country in the Olympics. I’m freaking out that I’m going to suck and that they’ll bench me and regret taking me. I am never going to tell Jamie you have his jersey. Tomorrow I’m going to get you one of mine so you can burn his.”

Ali giggled. “I'm not burning my jersey. And you aren't going to suck at Sochi. You’re going to be great, probably even a hero.”

“Can I kiss you?” Gabe asked quietly. Ali nodded and he drew her into his arms. Their lips met, tentative but then sure of themselves as Ali melted into him. Gabe held her tight and took his time to kiss her, long and slow. When they broke apart, Ali had a smile on her face that matched his own.

“Maybe tomorrow I can take you out?” Gabe asked.

“I have to work at seven but I have some time after my last class and before I have to be here I can make for you.”

He nodded. “I’ll give you my number and you can tell me where to pick you up.”

“That sounds good. I should probably get back to work though.”

“You could sneak away with me the rest of the night.”

“Sorry, Gabe the babe, but even your good looks won't save my job if I did that. And I kind of need this job.”

He pulled her in close and kissed her again. She let out a little sigh as their lips met and Gabe felt his stomach flutter. He pulled back from her and took her hand in his and led her back inside. Ali slipped his jacket off and handed it back to him.

“Tomorrow?” she confirmed.

“Tomorrow,” he nodded. “I can’t wait for it.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I've had Gabe on the brain for way too long and finally I wrote a little something. I could honestly fill this space with so many pictures and gifs but I will leave you with this one instead.