‹ Prequel: Getting Back Up
Status: Being delayed...having a hard time accepting Scott's trade to CBJ. :-(

Standing Tall

Day Five

After their conversation the other day, Scott and Rebecca agreed to take some time to think about how they were going to handle the whole name-changing situation. It wasn't like they were in a rush, they were a family for all intents and purposes, they just felt that making this change would make them complete.

Scott had treated Tyler like a son since he and Rebecca had started dating. Tyler loved having Scott around, more than just because he was a Flyer and famous. He knew that Scott would do anything for Rebecca, including accepting her teenage kid. He felt comfortable around Scott, enough to talk to him about things he didn't want to talk to his mother about.

The first time Tyler went to Scott with a question about girls, they agreed that their conversations would stay between the two of them, unless something serious happened and Scott felt that Rebecca should know. Tyler appreciated Scott's loyalty to both of them and promised that if he got into any trouble, Scott would be the first person he'd call.

If they weren't able to get Tyler's name changed without Brad, they could just let Tyler change his own name when he turned eighteen in two years...if he still wanted. Scott had mentioned this option to Rebecca, but she responded that the sooner they remove any traces of Brad the better.

Scott wanted to find a way to get Tyler's name changed without having to involve Brad, so he brought up the subject while he was at lunch with his teammates.

"You're kidding right? This is a joke...it has to be," Claude looked around the table, not believing what Scott had just said.

"No, it's no joke. We need Brad to sign papers that he consents to the name change. Even if I were to adopt Tyler, we'd still need his signature," Scott said.

"We should have just killed him. You wouldn't be having this problem," Brayden responded.

"I know, I've already thought of that," Scott chuckled.

"So what are you going to do?" Kimmo asked.

"I honestly don't know. There's no way I'm going to let Rebecca contact him, that will probably open up that can of worms again. And I can't exactly tell her what we've done, I'm not quite sure how she'd react," Scott wondered.

"Yeah, you were quite fortunate that he never resurfaced. There's no telling what he'd do if given another chance," Kimmo said.

"Exactly, that threat only works once. I may have to actually kill him if it got out of control," Scott joked.

"Wait, didn't you say that only one of the parents needed to show identification?" Claude asked.

"Yeah, so?" Scott responded.

"So...why not have someone pose as Brad and just sign the papers. Have Rebecca be the one to show her I.D.," Claude suggested.

"That's an idea," Brayden agreed.

"I don't know if Rebecca would go along with that," Kimmo responded.

"Well, now let's think about this. I could tell Rebecca that I'll get in contact with Brad so that she doesn't have to talk to him. After a few days, I'll tell her that I couldn't find him and offer this plan as a solution. If she doesn't go for it, fine. But if she does, then we're home free," Scott plotted.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Kimmo said as he shook his head at his friends.

"It'll be fine Kimmo. What's the worst that could happen?" Scott asked.

"Rebecca could find out the truth and hurt you for lying to her," Kimmo laughed.

"Well yeah there's that," Scott grinned.

***********

"Becks, you can't call him. You've finally gotten what you've wanted all along. You found the love of your life and have a family with him. You just had the most beautiful wedding ever. Why on Earth would you want to bring that snake back into your lives?" Lindsey asked.

"Linds, I know. My life is perfect now. But there will always be a reminder of Brad. Tyler looks more like his father every day. I can deal with that. But I would much rather have Tyler's name be a reflection of our family, not the guy that basically donated his sperm to create him. Scott has accepted Tyler and loves him like his own flesh and blood. I need to do what I can to make us a complete family," Rebecca responded.

"Yeah but I don't think Scott cares what Ty's name is, you're all a family. Everyone knows it. Why go through the aggravation if you don't have to?" Lindsey asked trying to convince her best friend to leave well enough alone. "I mean, after the annulment Brad disappeared just as quickly as he came back. That was a glorious blessing. Why give him an opportunity to come back and ruin everything you've worked so hard to get?"

"I'm still surprised he left without a fight. Maybe he actually realized that there was no way that I was leaving Scott and Tyler would never have a relationship with him," Rebecca sighed. "I just don't know. I want to erase Brad as much as I can, but I'm not sure how he'll react. I really don't want him going after Scott for this. And you know that's what he'd do. I really thought it would have been easier. I never should have suggested it," Rebecca said as a worried look crept onto her face.

"Look, I can't tell you what to do. But don't do anything without talking to Scott first. You need to decide how to proceed as the family you are. Please promise me you'll at least do that," Lindsey pleaded.

"I won't. I promise. I'll talk to you later, Linds. I've still got to pack for our trip to New York," Rebecca said.

"Oh yeah...have fun! Make another baby!" Lindsey laughed.

"I don't think so Linds. We haven't even talked about more kids. Gia was a surprise, I'm glad we have her, but I'm exhausted. I forgot what it was like," Rebecca chuckled, "I'm too old for any more babies."

"You are not. Plenty of women older than you have had babies. Gia is the most beautiful child I've ever seen. You two should do nothing but make babies," Lindsey joked.

"We'll see. I know Scott would have no problem with that. Especially the trying to get pregnant part," Rebecca laughed, "But Gia isn't even a year old yet. I don't think I could handle two babies under two years old."

"Yeah...that does sound a bit...."

"Hectic?" Rebecca finished Lindsey's thought.

"Yeah," Lindsey laughed.

"Just remember that when you're planning to have kids," Rebecca said.

"Thanks, I'll try," Lindsey smiled, "Alright. Go pack. I'll talk to you when you get back."

"Okay. Be good," Rebecca said and hung up the phone.

*********

"Honey! I'm home!" Scott yelled as he walked through the front door.

"Upstairs!" Rebecca shouted from their bedroom.

Scott made his way upstairs to find Rebecca rummaging through their closet searching for something. Two large suitcases were open on their bed, completely empty.

"Whatcha doing babe?" Scott asked as he approached her and kissed the top of her head.

"Packing for New York. I don't know what to bring. It's only a couple days but I don't know what to wear to a broadway show. Do people still get all dressed up? Or is it more casual?" Rebecca asked.

"I'm not sure. Just bring both types...we can ask someone at the hotel when we get there. Don't stress babe," Scott said, noticing the crinkle in Rebecca's forehead.

"I still can't believe Mr. Snider did this. He really didn't have to," Rebecca said.

"I know, and I've told him that. But he felt bad for not making it to the wedding and wanted to do something nice. Just go with it."

Rebecca smiled, "I'll try."

***********

The next day Scott and Rebecca said goodbye to Tyler, Gia and Jean and made their way to the black stretch limousine sitting outside of their house. Once inside, they made themselves comfortable for the three hour ride to New York City. There was a bottle of champagne with a note attached. Scott removed the note and handed it to Rebecca so that he could open the champagne and pour them a glass.

Rebecca opened the note and read it aloud.

Rebecca and Scott,

I am very happy that the two of you were able to find each other and hope that you have nothing but happiness for the rest of your years.

Please enjoy yourselves in New York City, everything has been taken care of for you. Just enjoy your time alone, you both deserve it. And don't worry about Tyler and Gia, they will be well looked after. I have made arrangements with Kimmo and Johanna to keep them occupied for the weekend with Jean.

Have fun,

Ed Snider


"Did Kimmo say anything to you about this?" Rebecca asked.

"No, I just saw him yesterday. The punk. I'll kill him when we get back," Scott joked.

"We need to do something really nice for Mr. Snider as a thank you when we get back," Rebecca commented.

"Like what?" Scott asked as he handed Rebecca a glass of champagne.

"I have no idea. What do you do for a man that has everything and wants for nothing?" Rebecca responded.

"No clue. But we'll figure something out. Later. Let's just enjoy the gift," Scott smiled as he raised his glass. "Here's to you Mrs. Hartnell. I love you with all of my heart."

Rebecca smiled and clinked her glass against Scott’s. "I love you too Mr. Hartnell. With my whole heart."

They each took a sip of champagne and closed the gap between them and shared a kiss. Scott began gently kissing Rebecca’s neck, moving up towards her ear. When Rebecca ran her hand up his thigh, he whispered, "I think we should christen the limo. Ed would want us to."

Rebecca scoffed, "I don't think so babe. I don't think that's exactly the type of fun Ed was referring to."

"Should we call him and ask?" Scott smirked as he searched for his phone.

"Don't even think about it Hartnell," Rebecca laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, it's a short chapter and mostly just filler...I promise it'll pick back up soon.