‹ Prequel: Getting Back Up
Status: Being delayed...having a hard time accepting Scott's trade to CBJ. :-(

Standing Tall

Month Two, Part Two

The next morning the news of Rebecca and Tyler’s accident had become a breaking story in the Philadelphia region. Pictures of the two mangled vehicles, quotes from witnesses, and a picture of Scott, Rebecca and Tyler from the wedding flashed repeatedly on every television station. Every time the story ran, more details regarding the other motorist were revealed…he had been drinking and well above the legal limit; he had previous citations for DUI and had just received his license back from suspension; the only injuries he received were bruises from the airbag and seatbelt.

Specific information regarding Rebecca and Tyler’s injuries were not disclosed, but the sentiment was clear…it didn’t look good, especially for the teenager. Reporters had been camped out at the hospital for hours, attempting to get sound bites from anyone that looked like they may have more information.

Brayden stood at the window in Rebecca’s room looking down at the scene below. “Fans have started to gather now,” he said quietly to no one in particular. The sun was starting to set and Brayden could see quite a few fans holding candles that flickered in the light breeze.

Scott had been on his phone when Brayden had entered the room, having a very in-depth conversation with whomever was on the other end. When Brayden finally spoke, Scott walked over to the window.

Zack Hill, the Philadelphia Flyers Director of Communications, had called Scott to put together a statement regarding the accident. Zack felt it was in his best interests to at least issue some sort of statement, even if it didn’t give much information.

“Yeah Zack…that’s fine. Whatever you think sounds best,” Scott said as he turned to go back to the chair he had been in for the past few hours next to Rebecca.

“Alright. I’ll email you the final copy. Then I’ll come down and talk to the media.” Zack paused. “Scott, I’m really sorry about this.”

“Thanks Zack,” Scott said and hung up the phone. He slid the phone into his jeans pocket and took the seat next to Rebecca’s bed. He held her hand and stroked his thumb over the back of it. She hadn’t woken up yet, despite the doctor’s reassurances that she would be fine. As the hours passed, Scott grew more worried that they wouldn’t be able to do anything for Tyler. Lindsey tried her best to keep him positive and calm, but even she had doubts.

Lindsey stepped cautiously into Rebecca’s room and stood next to her bed opposite Scott. “Jean called. She wanted to know if you want her to bring Gia over so you can see her before she has to put her to bed.” Scott’s eyes stayed fixated on Rebecca’s bruised face.

“No, I don’t want the media to bombard them. And I don’t want her to see Rebecca like this,” Scott said softly.

“Then why don’t you go home for an hour? See Gia and grab a shower. It’ll relax you,” Lindsey responded.

“I can’t leave. I have to be here when she wakes up.”

“Scott, she won’t be upset if you’re here fifteen minutes after she wakes up. Bray and I will be here,” Lindsey offered.

“Thanks Linds, but I’d rather stay. When she wakes up and we get everything situated with Ty…when I know they’ll be alright, then I’ll go home,” Scott said.

Brayden stood behind Scott shaking his head at Lindsey as if to tell her that it was useless to try and convince him to leave. He knew Scott well enough to know that once he made up his mind, nothing could change it. “I’m getting hungry. Can I bring you something?” Brayden asked Scott as he made his way around Rebecca’s bed, standing next to Lindsey with his arm around her shoulder to comfort her.

“No,” Scott said curtly.

“Scott, you at least need to eat something. You haven’t eaten anything all day,” Lindsey pleaded. Scott could hear the pain in her voice and turned to look at her.

“I’m sorry. Yeah Schenner, grab me a sandwich or something,” Scott said apologetically.

Brayden slid his arm down and grasped Lindsey's hand in his and led her out of the room.

************

An hour later, Lindsey and Brayden watched the television as Zack Hill delivered Scott's statement to the masses outside of the hospital's main entrance. Throngs of microphones were shoved in his face, each trying to capture every word.

First, Scott would like to thank all of his friends, family and fans for the outpouring of love and support he has received today. However, he asks that everyone respects their privacy while they are recovering. At this time a timetable for their release has not been determined due to the extent of their injuries.

Second, the Flyers organization has received flowers and gifts from fans to be passed on to Scott and his family, however he asks that in lieu of these things, anyone wishing to can make a donation to the Philadelphia chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Scott and the Philadelphia Flyers will match all donations made to M.A.D.D. in the Hartnells' name.

Lastly, Scott would like everyone that is a stepparent of a minor to know that they have no rights to make decisions in the care of a minor in a medical emergency. He urges you all to have the proper documentation created by the natural parents authorizing you to make decisions if both parents are incapable. The past twenty-four hours has presented Scott with a scenario he was not prepared for. He does not want others like him to go through what he is currently struggling to deal with.

Again, Scott thanks you for your love and support and asks that everyone respects his family's privacy during this time. I will not be answering any questions at this time.


Regardless of the final sentence Zack uttered, reporters were shouting over each other trying to get more information. Zack turned away from the crowd and walked into the hospital and up to meet Scott.

Lindsey looked away from the television and stared at Brayden in shock. Brayden was confused by the look on her face. "What?"

"Did he just do what I think he did?" she asked in amazement.

"What did he do?" Brayden had no idea what she was getting at.

"He basically just invited Brad here. He told him there's a problem." Lindsey had stood up and began pacing the floor at the end of Tyler’s bed.

"I don't think so Linds. He wouldn't..."

"He would. He's desperate. We don't know when Becks is going to wake up. If she doesn't wake up in time...." her thought trailed off as she glanced at Tyler laying in the bed, tubes and bandages covering his body. She wasn't able to stop the tears as they formed in her eyes and streamed down her face.

Brayden walked to her and wrapped both arms around her, pulling her close so there was no space between them. Lindsey buried her face in his chest as he stroked her hair. "They don't deserve this," she sobbed, "they've been through so much already."

"I know, babe. But I know they'll pull through this," Brayden quietly said, squeezing her with one arm and stroking her hair with the other. He pressed his lips to the top of her head. "It'll be okay. I promise."

**************

Zack gently knocked on the door to Rebecca's room before stepping in. Scott lifted his head from his hands to see who was there. He had the look of a man that was in the midst of losing everything. He stood and extended his hand to Zack. Zack shook his hand and said, "It's done."

Zack placed his briefcase on the tray at the end of Rebecca's bed. He opened it and pulled out a manila folder with papers inside. He handed the folder to Scott who immediately opened it and flipped through the pages.

"Legal really pulled this together quick. There are three sets. You'll need signatures on all of them, and I'll have them file a set for you," Zack said.

"Okay. Thanks for your help Zack. I appreciate it," Scott said as he shook his hand again.

"When you have the signatures, give me a call and I'll come back for the paperwork so we can get it filed as soon as possible." With that, Zack turned and exited the room.

Scott opened the folder completely and read through the top sheet. As with most contracts, the words all looked like a foreign language but the theme was clear. Now all he had to do was wait.

************

The waiting ended two hours later.

Scott was standing at the window staring out into the night with his arms folded across his chest. A nurse knocked on Rebecca's door.

"Mr. Hartnell, you have a visitor," she said as he turned to look at her. He nodded an approval to show the visitor in. She turned and left and another body stood in the doorway.

"I'm not going to say I'm glad you're here, but thank you for coming," Scott said as he walked to the center of the room.

"I figured you must be desperate. Especially with that message being so cryptic."

"Well, I don't have much choice. My hands are tied and you're the only one that can do anything about it," Scott said with a stern tone.

"What do you want from me?" Brad asked.

"Two things. First, sign this. It's the consent form for the doctors to operate on Tyler."

"What's wrong with him?"

"They call it Traumatic Brain Injury. There's a blood clot that they need to remove. They think he may have bruising on his brain as well, but won't know until they get in there," Scott responded.

Brad's eyes shifted to Rebecca. "And..."

"She just has a couple broken bones. But she got knocked out in the crash and hasn't woken up yet. That's why you need to sign the consent forms. They won't operate without a parent's signature," Scott said, offering Brad a pen and motioning to the form on top of the manila folder.

Brad looked at Scott, then at Rebecca, and back at Scott. "Can I see Tyler?"

Scott's eyes narrowed. "Sign the paper. After we're done here."

Brad took the pen from Scott and scribbled his name on the consent form. He held the pen out to give back to Scott.

"There's one more thing," Scott said as he folded the consent form in half and tucked it under his arm. He opened the manila folder and arranged the stacks of paperinto three piles. "Sign these."

Brad glared at Scott. "What is this now?"

"This will relinquish your rights to Tyler and give them to me. It will also serve as the consent for me to adopt Tyler."

"What makes you think I would ever do that?" Brad almost shouted.

"Because if you don't, I will have my teammates take you back down to the rink and remind you of what happens when you go against me," Scott snarled at Brad. "Sign...the papers. There is nothing more they want from you than this."

Brad weighed his options in his head. He knew Scott was right. Despite his attempt to get Rebecca and Tyler back, she had moved on. She didn't want him. Tyler certainly didn't want him. He knew that if he didn't give Scott what he was asking for, Scott may very well kill him. If not him, his teammates definitely.

Brad sighed heavily and proceeded to sign all three sets of paperwork. When he was finished he handed the pen back to Scott.

"Thank you," Scott said quietly.

"Only because I know it's best for Tyler. He's still my son," Brad responded.

"Only biologically. You're no more his father than I am," Scott said. "At least now he'll have two parents with his best interests at heart."

"Are we done now?" Brad asked, sensing he was losing the battle.

"Yes. We're done. Have a nice life," Scott responded and motioned to the door. Once Scott saw Brad enter the elevator down the hall, he proceeded to the nurses station. He handed the nurse on duty the consent form Brad had signed.

The nurse thanked him and paged the doctor to inform him that the consent had been given. She told Scott they would most likely get Tyler into the operating as soon as possible. He nodded and thanked her.

Before heading back to Rebecca’s room, he stopped at Tyler's. He walked into the room quietly to not wake Lindsey. She was sitting across Brayden's lap with her head resting against his shoulder, arms draped around his waist. He had leaned his head against hers, but straightened up when Scott walked in.

Scott walked to Tyler's beside and brushed his hand over Tyler's hair. "Brad signed away his rights to Tyler. But he signed the consent form first," Scott whispered to Brayden.

"Lindsey was right. You had Zack say those things to draw him here, didn't you?" Brayden whispered back.

Scott turned to look at Brayden. A familiar smirk was on his face.

"Sneaky bastard," Brayden chuckled.

"They'll probably be taking Ty into surgery in a couple hours. You guys should go home and get some sleep. I'll call you if anything else happens," Scott said as he moved towards Brayden and a sleeping Lindsey. Brayden reached out his hand and Scott shook it.

"I'm glad all of this is working out for you. Even if it took all of this for it to finally happen," Brayden responded with a shrug of his shoulders. The sudden movement jostled Lindsey awake. She blinked the sleep out of her eyes and asked if everything was alright.

"Everything will be fine. Schenner will fill you in. Go home. I'll call you later," Scott said before bending down and kissing Lindsey on the cheek and heading back to Rebecca's room.