‹ Prequel: Getting Back Up
Status: Being delayed...having a hard time accepting Scott's trade to CBJ. :-(

Standing Tall

Eleven

“I never properly thanked you for helping me with him,” Scott said as he checked his watch for the time. Although it was late June, it wasn’t as hot as the local stations forecasted it would be. Scott was thankful for the gentle breeze and the sun shining. The only thing that was out of his control to make this day perfect was the weather.

“How can you say that? Gia is all the thanks I need. I’m so honored that you wanted to name her after me, let alone making me her Godfather,” Claude said as he put his hand on Scott’s shoulder, “I’m just surprised Rebecca went along with it.”

“Well, Rebecca wanted to give her a name that sounded Italian because of her heritage, knowing that Gia would probably not look Italian at all,” Scott laughed, “and I wanted her to be your namesake, so it was a great compromise.”

“That it was. And thank goodness she doesn’t look as much like you as we all thought she would,” Claude chided his friend.

“Don’t I know it. She’s going to be a knockout like her mother,” Scott puts his hand up to his heart, “I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it when she starts dating.”

“If she’s anything like her father, it sure will be interesting,” Joy Hartnell said as she made her way out onto the deck. “Claude, can I have a moment with my son?”

“Sure Mrs. H. I’ll go check on the guys,” Claude said as he shook Scott’s hand and then walked back into the house.

“What’s up mom?” Scott asked as he kissed her cheek.

“Just wanted to check on you…see how you’re doing,” she said as she ran her hands along his shoulders and down his arms as if she were wiping dust off of his tuxedo jacket.

“I’m good…impatient, but good,” he smiled. “How are you doing?”

“I’ll be alright. Your father doesn’t think I was this bad at your first wedding,” she joked.

“Yeah well, this one will be the last.” He checked his watch again. His father joined them on the deck and said, “The guys are almost ready. Limo will be here in about a half hour.”

“Thanks dear,” Joy said to her husband, “Tell your son to be patient and enjoy the day.”

“Be patient…enjoy the day,” Bill mimicked his wife until she jabbed his side with her elbow. “But seriously, just breathe. Everything will be perfect. It’s not like you have to wonder if she’s not going to show up.”

“I know, I just want to see her…and the kids. I can’t wait for it to be official,” Scott said.

“To be honest, when you first told us about Rebecca and that you were expecting and planned on getting married…all within three or four months of being together…I was concerned to say the least,” Bill admitted. “But then when we met Rebecca and saw how you two were together…we knew she was the one. We had all thought that Lisa was the one, but in all the years you were with her, you were never as happy as you are now. Even in the beginning…you never looked at Lisa like you look at Rebecca.”

“Looking back, I know I loved Lisa…but she never made me feel the way I feel when I’m with Rebecca. Even now, I still get that butterfly feeling in my stomach when I know I’m going to see her. Like when I come home from road trips…I don’t want to do anything but come home to her. To her, Tyler and Gia,” Scott smiled.

“When we found out about Tyler, we were concerned if you would be able to handle him. It’s not easy for a teenager to accept a new man in his mother’s life, especially when there haven’t been any throughout the years,” Joy said.

“I didn’t have to handle him…he handled me. He’s a great kid. I could tell that the first night I met him, even though he was a little shocked to have me in their house,” Scott laughed. “But after spending time with him, and the two of them together, I could tell that he loved his mother and wanted her to be happy. Since we both wanted the same thing, it was easy for him to welcome me into their family.”

“And it will be even easier to welcome them into our family,” his mother said.

*****************************

Rebecca and her bridal party had returned to the house earlier than scheduled which allowed them to take their time getting into their dresses. It was almost noon and Rebecca needed to get Gia to take a nap before they had to leave for the ceremony. She was amazed at how easily she fell asleep. After putting Gia down, Rebecca knocked on Tyler’s door to make sure that he was at least awake and starting to get ready. “Tyler? Are you up?”

“Yeah ma. You can come in.” Rebecca opened the door to find Tyler pacing the floor in his room.

“What are you doing Ty?” she asked.

“Practicing my walk,” he said as he took slow, deliberate steps.

Rebecca chuckled, “Would you like to practice with me?” She walked over and wrapped her arm with his. “Don’t be nervous. No one will be looking at you, they’ll all be looking at me.”

“I’m just worried I’m going to trip or something,” Tyler laughed as they walked back and forth across the room.

“You better not…you’ll ruin my dress and my flowers,” she said.

“That’s nice…no concern for your son’s well being and self-esteem?” he smirked.

“You’ll get over it,” she jabbed an elbow into his side.

Rebecca and her son practiced the way they would walk down the aisle in a few short hours. Rebecca had a very important question to ask Tyler, but she had promised Scott that they would ask him together, after the weekend. In this moment, she was debating breaking her promise to her future husband. Tyler was becoming an adult, apparent by the inches he had grown over the year making him taller than her. But he was still her little boy.

“Mom?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m glad you’re marrying Scott,” Tyler said as he stopped walking.

“Well, I hope so…cause it’s a little late now for me to change my mind,” she joked.

“Yeah…but I mean it. He’s great…for all of us. I mean, yeah, obviously I like him because he’s a Flyer…but even without that…he’s great. He loves you so much. I knew that from that first time he stayed over and made you breakfast the next morning. It felt right to have him there…that day and all the ones after.”

It took everything in her not to start crying at what Tyler was saying. “I know Ty. I feel the same way. I didn’t right away, but soon after…I knew I wanted to be with him forever. And he loves you too. He considers you his family too you know…”

“I know. He told me that before he proposed to you.” Tyler recounted the conversation he had with Scott over a year ago…

It was April, and the Flyers had a few days off before they started round one of the playoffs. The Phillies season had just started and Scott had asked Rebecca if he could take Tyler to a game so that they could spend time together, just the guys. Rebecca, six months pregnant, welcomed the chance to have a quiet house and told them to enjoy themselves. Some of Scott’s teammates were also going to the game, so Tyler jumped at the chance to hang out with them.

Scott treated Tyler to whatever food or drinks he wanted, and even bought him a Chase Utley jersey since all he had were regular tee shirts. Scott wasn’t trying to buy Tyler’s approval, he knew he already had it when Tyler refused to let Scott pay for a new iPhone when he dropped his, shattering the screen, a few weeks earlier. Scott just wanted Tyler to enjoy himself. They didn’t have tickets in a suite; they sat with the general public because as Scott said, it’s the best way to watch a game.

After singing along to “Take Me Out To the Ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch, Scott told Tyler he had something important to ask him, that he wanted an honest answer and that he wouldn’t be upset or disappointed if Tyler said no. Tyler waited for the question as Scott turned to face him in his seat.

“Tyler, I love your mother. I will love her until I’m no longer breathing. And I would like nothing more than to marry her and make us a family. But…I can’t do that…without knowing that you approve,” Scott searched Tyler’s face for acknowledgment. “I’m asking you for permission to ask your mother to marry me Tyler.”

“You don’t need my permission. I know you love her and I know she loves you. I’ve always wanted her to find someone that made her happy, that could deal with her being a mom, and although she had to wait a really long time, I’m glad she found you,” Tyler responded.

“So am I. But I want to make sure you’re alright with this…because it affects you too. I know that I’m not your father, but I hope you can feel like you can talk to me like I am. If you don’t think you can, that’s fine. It doesn’t mean I won’t love your mother any less,” Scott said.

“Scott, I would like nothing more than for you to marry my mom.” Tyler and Scott shook hands, both with grins stretching from ear to ear, and returned to watching the game….

Tyler looked at his mother as she tried to wipe away tears from her face and not smear her makeup. “Are you okay?”

“Yes sweetie. I’ll be fine. Start getting ready…I’m going to go check on your sister,” Rebecca said as she turned to leave. She took her phone out of her pocket once she got in the hallway and sent a text.

Rebecca: I love you Mr. Hartnell

It only took a minute for a response to come through.

Scott: I love you, soon-to-be Mrs. Hartnell
♠ ♠ ♠
Is it bad that I started crying while writing this??

I'm such a sap...I hope Hartsy is as sweet in real life as I've made him in these stories. lol