‹ Prequel: Getting Back Up
Status: Being delayed...having a hard time accepting Scott's trade to CBJ. :-(

Standing Tall

Twelve

Scott smiled when he looked at his phone and saw that the text message was from Rebecca.

Everything going okay?

Rebecca: Yep. Perfect actually. Gia is napping, Tyler’s getting dressed, and in a few minutes I'm going to be putting on my dress.

Scott: I can't wait to see you. I miss you.

Rebecca: I miss you too. But it's only a couple more hours.

Scott: I know. Photographer is here now. Gotta go and be GQ. ;)

Rebecca: Oh lord. Don't let the guys get carried away. See you soon. <3

Scott: Love you.

Rebecca: Love you too


Scott, his parents, and the groomsmen smiled easily for the photographer. The Timonens house had a magnificent brick fireplace that was used for the backdrop for pictures of Scott and his parents. The photographer took pictures of Scott by himself, with his mother, with his father, and with the both of them.

The pictures of his groomsmen were mostly taken on the back deck, where you could see the city's skyline in the distance. It was difficult keeping all of them in line, but Joy Hartnell was up for the challenge. Good thing everything is digital now, she didn't have to worry about the photographer running out of film.

After they had taken almost one-hundred pictures, most of them will not be able to be used, it was time for them to head to the club. Scott ran through the checklist again and when he was sure they hadn't forgotten anything, they made their way to the white strech Navigator that was waiting outside.

The ride to Edgmont Country Club took thirty minutes, giving Claude plenty of time to to study the speech he had written for this day. Claude wasn't typically nervous at speaking in front of people, but today he was nervous because he didn't want to mess up or forget something.

The limo arrived at the club and the six of them exited the vehicle. Scott stood in front of the entrance to the clubhouse and took a deep breath. Kimmo walked up behind him and put his hand on his shoulder. "You're almost there. Just an hour until the ceremony. And then it's party time...," he smiled.

"Yeah buddy," Scott laughed.

They followed the other guys into the clubhouse and made their way into the room the wedding planner designated as theirs for the day. The photographer took candid pictures of Scott and his groomsmen as they joked and laughed with each other.

After a few minutes Scott decided he wanted to take a walk around to make sure everything was being set up properly. Kimmo said that he'd go with him. They walked through the clubhouse out to the path that would lead them to where the ceremony was being held. Erin, the wedding planner, assured him that everything was on schedule, the weather was supposed to hold, and the guests would start arriving in forty-five minutes.

Scott thanked her for all of her hard work, praising her for how beautiful everything looked. Scott and Kimmo continued walking through the grounds talking about the years that they've known each other. Kimmo told Scott that he was glad he was able to move on from Lisa and took a chance on Rebecca.

"I'm the luckiest guy on the planet. That I was able to break through and get her to go out with me still amazes me to this day," Scott said.

"And that you both were able to handle the whole thing with her ex is a testament to how you belong together," Kimmo responded.

"Well Gia had a lot to do with that. When Rebecca told me she was pregnant...I wont lie, I was scared. We had just started dating, and sure I was an idiot for not using protection, but the fear faded when I saw how well she was handling it. She didn't freak out...she just said we'd be alright."

"And she was right. You became a new man my friend. You've never been happier...even the day you moved out of your apartment was a happy day...and you loved that place. We all thought that you would move Rebecca and Tyler in with you, but you surprised us all when you started house hunting," Kimmo said as he recalled the day that Scott showed him the house...

"This is the one," Scott said as they pulled up to a two-story house, white with blue shutters and a raised porch that was the length of the house.

"Nice. Does Rebecca like it?" Kimmo asked.

"She doesn't know. I'm going to surprise her with it," Scott said as they exited the car.

"You're what?" Kimmo asked in disbelief. They walked up the stairs of the porch.

"You heard me. It's a gift...for Mother's Day," Scott said as he unlocked the door and stepped inside. The house was empty except for a few pieces that Scott had already moved from his apartment. "I figure we'll keep her furniture and fill in the gaps with stuff that I have. And if we're missing something, we'll buy it."

Scott gave Kimmo the grand tour, showing him all of highlights of the house, including the basement that had been finished and even had it's own bar and bathroom. "The realtor said the previous owners had a pool table down here too, but they took it with them. Good thing I have one of my own," Scott laughed.

"This is awesome Scott. Congratulations. Rebecca’s going to love it."

"Thanks man. I hope you're right," Scott said as he played with the keys in his hand.

"I'm so proud...you're growing up so fast," Kimmo joked.

********************************

Rebecca stood in their bedroom taking in the moment before she was to put on her wedding dress. She never considered herself to be a princess on her wedding day, but this dress made her feel like one anyway. It was soft, white organza with a ruched bodice, sweetheart neckline and accented with Swarovski crystals.

She loved this dress the minute she put it on in the boutique. Her mother and Lindsey had tears in their eyes when she walked out of the fitting room. Lindsey had said she wished she would look that fabulous in her wedding dress.

There was a knock at the door, and Rebecca could hear numerous voices in the hallway. "Becky sweetie, are you decent?" Her mother asked.

"Yeah mom," Rebecca answered. Her mother opened the door and entered, followed by Lindsey, Erica and Tiffany who were already in their bridesmaids gowns. Rebecca admired how good they looked in their dark navy a-line dresses, knee-length and strapless, with an orange sash for a pop of color. Although the dresses were all about the girls, she wanted there to be something to represent Scott, and what better than Flyers orange.

"You're going to need help," her mother said.

"Can't have you messing up your hair or getting makeup on the dress," Lindsey said as walked over to the dress hanging on the closet door.

"Let's do this," Rebecca said with a smirk.

The girls all held the dress open so that Rebecca could maneuver her way into it. Once they fluffed and straightened out the dress so that it sit just right, Lindsey pulled up the zipper and took a step back. "Still amazing. Ready to see?"

Rebecca nodded and turned around to look at her reflection in the full-length mirror. Tears started to line her eyes, until she heard the clicking of the photographer's camera. She glanced over her shoulder to see her mother holding a tissue up to her face. Lindsey and the girls were smiling from ear to ear but she could tell they too were trying not to cry.

"Mom, stop. Or I'm going to lose it," Rebecca turned to face her mother and leaned in for a hug. Lindsey noticed that they needed a moment, and took the other two girls downstairs to join Tyler, Johanna and Rebecca’s sisters.

"I'm just...I'm sorry I can't help it. I've been imagining your wedding day since you were born. But I never imagined your father wouldn't be here to see it," Jean said as she wiped tears from her eyes with the tissue.

"I know mom. I miss him too. I wish he were here to walk me down the aisle, but I know that he's watching and he'll be helping Tyler get me there," Rebecca sais as she tried to console her mother. Although it had been five years since her father passed, her mother still had a hard time dealing with the loss.

"I know he is. He loved you so much. He was devastated when Brad left you and Tyler, he wanted to hunt him down and kill him. He would have done anything to make the pain go away. I wish he could have met Scott. I think he would have liked having him as a son-in-law. I know he'd enjoy getting to go to Flyers games," she chuckled.

"That's definitely right," Rebecca laughed. "I remember Dad talking about watching them win the Cup...although back then I had no idea what he was talking about. I used to think he wished I was a boy so that he'd be able to talk sports with, and actually have an intelligent conversation. Whenever he started to ramble about sports, I'd tune him out. I wish I could go back and change that."

"No baby, you're father loved you regardless of your lack of sports knowledge. Don't tell your sisters, but you were his favorite. He thought you were perfect," Jean said as she repositioned Rebecca’s hair.

"Thanks mom."

Lindsey gently knocked on the door and said, "The photographer is ready for us and the limo should be here in a half an hour."

"I'm ready for my closeup," Rebecca smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
And I'm crying again. Ugh I'm such a sap.

For those of you that would like a visual of the girls' dresses:
This is Rebecca http://www.allurebridals.com/products/2453

This is the bridesmaids http://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line-Princess-Strapless-Knee-Length-Taffeta-Bridesmaid-Dress-With-Sash-007004106-g4106