‹ Prequel: Getting Back Up
Status: Being delayed...having a hard time accepting Scott's trade to CBJ. :-(

Standing Tall

One

One by one the guests started arriving at the club. Scott and his parents welcomed everyone as Brayden, Luke and Wayne ushered them to their seats. Everyone from the Flyers organization was in attaendance, and even some players that were no longer Flyers,, like Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, and James vanReimsdyk.

The location of the services was far enough removed from the clubhouse that Rebecca did not have to worry about Scott seeing her when her limo arrived at the clubhouse. The wedding planner ushered her and the girls to the bridal room so that they could wait until it was time to start the ceremony.

"We have about twenty minutes. Do you need anything?" Erin asked.

"No, but do we have enough time for Scott to see the kids real quick? I know he'd feel better if he could see them," Rebecca asked.

"I don't see why not. I'll take them to him," Erin said with a smile.

Rebecca handed Gia to Tyler and said, "take your sister to Scott. Come back when Erin tells you it's time."

"Got it," Tyler said as he followed Erin out the back of the clubhouse to where Scott and his parents were standing. Joy Hartnell could feel the tears forming in her eyes as she watched Tyler walk towards them with Gia on his hip. He looked handsome in his tuxedo and Gia looked like an angel in her white lace dress with a dark navy blue sash.

"Look at you guys...you look great," Scott said as he took Gia from Tyler, placing sweet kisses on her cheeks. Gia wrapped her arms around her father's neck and sqeezed as tight as she could.

"You think we look good? You should see mom," Tyler said as Scott gave him a one-armed hug.

"I can only imagine," Scott said with a smile. "You ready for your big moment in the spotlight Ty?" he asked.

"Yep. We practiced this morning," Tyler responded.

"Alright good. You'll do fine," Scott said as he continued to hug Gia, rubbing his hand up and down her back. Bill and Joy Hartnell shared a look with each other, admiring how their son interacted with Tyler. The moment was short-lived though because Erin was back, ushering them back to the clubhouse. As Scott watched them walk away, he recalled the day he was blessed with that little girl...

Rebecca had woken up in the middle of the night in the middle of August from a sharp pain in her abdomen. Her due date had passed fifteen days earlier, her doctor assured her everything was fine, that most women are late. She jumped at the pain and grabbed Scott's arm, waking him from a dead sleep.

"What's wrong," Scott asked as he turned on the light on the nightstand.

"I just had a contraction," she said as she attempted to get out of bed. Scott flung the covers off of himself and ran to the other side of the bed to help Rebecca.

"Are you okay? Is it bad?" Scott asked with a panic in his voice.

"Fine so far...but it'll get worse," she said as she grabbed her phone off the nightstand to call the doctor. "Go get Tyler and I'll head downstairs."

Since they had expected the baby two weeks ago, her overnight bag was already in Scott's SUV. Scott ran into Tyler's room and jostled the sleeping teenager until he sat up in his bed. "The baby's coming! Get dressed, let's go!" Scott shouted as he left the room. Tyler threw on his jeans and sneakers and ran downstairs to join them at the waiting car.

"Doctor Hoffman is on her way to the hospital. Tyler, can you call Mommom and tell her we're on our way to the hospital? I'll call your parents, okay babe?" she asked Scott as he concentrated on the road ahead. In her head she thanked God that it was two in the morning and there weren't many cars on the roads because Scott was waiting for no man.

"Yeah okay. Can you call Claude too?" Scott said as they came to a red light. "I should just run it. There's no one out here."

"Sure. And don't you dare...the contractions aren't that close yet. We've got time," Rebecca said as she breathed through another contraction, reaching for his hand on the gear shift.

They finished making their respective phone calls just as they arrived at the emergency room entrance. Scott exited the car and ran through the sliding doors, returning quickly with an orderly pushing a wheelchair following him. Scott helped Rebecca out of the car and into the wheelchair. Tyler grabbed the bag out of the back of the SUV and followed them into the hospital.

Before she knew it, Rebecca had been rushed through being admitted and was getting settled in the labor and delivery room. Nurses worked to get her changed and hooked up to the various monitors. Doctor Hoffman had appeared just as Rebecca was getting comfotable in the bed. She asked how she was feeling and looked at the readings of her contractions and said that everything looked good. The sound of heartbeats filled the room.

One by one, family members started arriving at the hospital, but could only be granted access to see Rebecca in shifts. Scott ushered in a parade of visitors, mostly Rebecca’s family along with Lindsey and the girls. Scott's parents thankfully had come to Philly a week earlier, as if they knew it was only a matter of days before the newest member of the Hartnell clan arrived. Claude arrived with Kimmo and Johanna, who had the presence of mind to bring coffee and bagels for everyone.

Four hours later, Doctor Hoffman announced to Rebecca and Scott that the baby was ready to make its debut. Scott walked Tyler out of the room and to wait with his grandmother. When he returned to Rebecca’s room, he walked to the bed, lifted her hand and kissed it and then kissed her forehead. She didn't have any makeup on and her hair was pulled back into a ponytail, but he didn't think she could look any more beautiful.

He hated watching her in pain, but it had subsided since the epidural that was given an hour ago. Rebecca squeezed his hand as Doctor Hoffman instructed her to push. Little by little, baby Hartnell inched its way into the world. "It's a girl!" Doctor Hoffman announced.

Scott couldn't control his emotions as he heard the screams coming from his daughter. He wiped tears from his cheek as Doctor Hoffman asked if he would like to cut the umbilical cord. He smiled at Rebecca after cutting the cord and watched the nurses wrap their daughter in a pink blanket. She smiled back and said, "It's a girl Mr. Hartnell."

"It's a girl soon-to-be Mrs. Hartnell," he said as he leaned down and kissed her lips. He wiped a few stray strands of hair off of her face when one of the nurses returned with their brand new baby. She placed the baby in Rebecca's arms to give the family a moment together. "How is she?" Scott asked the nurse.

"She's perfect. Seven and a half pounds, nineteen inches long. Give us a few minutes to get everything situated and we'll move you to your room," she responded.

Rebecca thanked her and Doctor Hoffman and turned her attention to her daughter. Scott stood next to her, admiring them both. "I'm going to let everyone know. You'll be alright until I get back?" He asked with a soft voice.

"We'll be fine," she answered. Scott made his way to the waiting room, and when he arrived everyone stood waiting for the news. He told them it was a girl, which prompted cheers from the crowd. Hugs and handshakes were exchanged. He told them that they were waiting to be moved into the room they'd be staying in and that the baby would be moved to the nursery shortly after that. He'd come back to let them know when they could see Rebecca and the baby.

He walked back to the room he had left Rebecca in, running his hands through his hair and letting out a deep sigh. His father had told him what to expect, but what he was feeling was a thousand times greater than that. He was a father....he was her father. He would be her protector and her shoulder to cry on. He couldn't wait to hold his future in his arms.

Rebecca was still staring at their daughter when he walked back into the room. The baby had fallen asleep, and Rebecca was running her index finger along her cheek. Scott had to steady himself at the sight of the most beautiful thing he had ever witnessed. "How are you feeling babe?" he said with a hushed voice.

"Rebecca looked up and smiled. "I'm wonderful. Isn't she the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?" she motioned for him to come to her.

"The only thing more beautiful is her mother," he said as he crossed the room.

"Gia Marie Hartnell...meet your daddy," Rebecca smiled as she handed the bundle to Scott. He took her in his arms and let out another deep sigh. Rebecca could see tears in his eyes. She placed her hand on his arm as if to comfort him.

"I love you so much Rebecca. Thank you for her," he said, trying to compose himself.

"Thank you...I love you too."

"Scott? Are you alright?" Erin asked, staring at Scott who was lost in thought.

"What? Yes. I'm fine," he said, snapping back to present day.

"Okay...well, it's time." She said as she motioned for him to take his place at the end of the aisle.

"Finally..." he smiled.