Running Barefoot

1.

Georgina

They were at the wrong place at the wrong time. That’s what everyone told me. If only she hadn’t gone back for her purse. If only he had met her at the car and didn’t stay. If only. If only the state had granted remodeling funds. If only the foundation didn’t have a crack. If only.

Just keep running, sand between the toes, water splashing the face, running.

If only they didn’t make me go into dance. If only they didn’t care about me. If only I had gone to New York.

Don’t stop running, push through the pain.

If only isn’t going to bring them back. If only isn’t going to change the past. Wrong place, wrong time, isn’t going to determine my future. It’s not going to help me forget.

Nothing can catch you if you just keep running.

A loud bark brings me out of my trance and before I knew it I was flat on my back, the waves now crashing against my cold skin. Without giving it a second thought I jump back up to my feet. Falling is something I’m used to, and landing in water isn’t comparable to hard wood. I ring out my shirt and shorts before preparing to start running again. Might as well call it a day and head home.

“Hey wait!” Someone calls behind me and I slow down to a stop. Running up the beach towards me was a young man, with the dog that tripped me in tail. “Are you okay?” He asks once he reaches a few feet from me.

“I tripped over a dog, nothing to worry about.”

“It’s just—It looked like quite a fall. Plus my dog, my fault.” He flashes a sideways grin that I’m sure makes most women fall for him. Me? Not so much.

“I’ve had worst. Trust me, I’m fine.” I turn to leave again, not wanting to continue this interaction.

“Well at least let me buy you a new pair of shoes. It seems as if they got lost in the ocean.”

I stop for the second time and turn to face him, “Look mister-”

“Herring. Nathaniel Herring.”

“Mr. Herring, I didn’t lose my shoes. I run barefoot. And I am okay; it was just a trip in the sand. So if you don’t mind I’m going to head home now and get out of these soaking wet clothes before getting sick.” I start to run again, ignoring his calls after me. But I didn’t get very far because his dog decided it wanted to jump in front of me again. This time I just lay in the sand, letting the water crash against me.

A shadow covers my body and I open my eyes to find none other than the Nathaniel Herring staring back at me. “Do you need help this time?”

“You could help me by putting that dumb dog on a leash.” I sit up and Nathaniel steps back a few. He sheepishly sticks his hands in his pockets, never taking his eyes off of me.

“I lied. He’s not my dog. I’m watching him for a friend.”

“Well then tell your friend to buy a leash.”

I stand up and brush the wet sand away from my body. Useless, I scold myself. The sand isn’t going anywhere. “And who should I tell him the request is from?”

I glance up from my failing attempt of getting clean. Dammit, why hadn’t he left yet? “A concerned citizen.” I reply. Running was pointless now. My body was soaked and weighted down by both water and sand. I start to walk and notice the man wasn’t leaving me alone. Maybe the silence treatment would be best for this interaction.

“I’ll walk back with you. Got to get this guy home.” I raise my eyebrows at him for a moment and then turn away. I wasn’t about to start talking to him again. “So I didn’t catch your name.” Holding back a smile, I speed up my pace. Could this Nathaniel guy not take a hint? “Okay, the silent treatment. I get it.” A gust of wind hits us and makes me shiver. It wasn’t exactly a warm day out and the fact I landed twice into the ocean didn’t help the situation.

I didn’t notice that Nathaniel had stopped until he was jogging beside me, jacket in hand offering the piece of clothing to me. I shake my head and ignore the offer. I wasn’t about to take something from this guy, especially his jacket. Without warning a warm sensation hits my shoulders and I look down. He had put the jacket on me. Nathaniel Herring, whoever he is, just set his jacket on my shoulder without permission. Who does that? “Sorry but my ma would have a heart attack if she saw me walking next to a woman who is soaked and not wearing my jacket.” He smirks and I once again ignore him. We were almost to the house anyways and I’d be able to get rid of him then.

I slow down a bit as we approach the old mansion. It was a piece of shit honestly. The siding was falling down, windows were broken, and it had useless wiring. The fact that it hasn’t caught on fire yet is shocking. But the land was gorgeous and the view was even better. It was the perfect place for me to get away. Plus I got to try something new: Construction.

Nathaniel started talking again but I wasn’t really paying attention. He was giving a history lesson about the house, something I knew too much about. “Everyone in town said some rich bitch bought the place. Guess we’ll see how that turns out.” I almost laugh. Almost. I’d been called worse than a bitch and the fact that this town so easily came to that conclusion was hilarious. I could just imagine the women I’d seen on the beach gossiping about the new rich person in town.

I stop at my gate and shrug off Nathaniel’s jacket, handing it to him. He takes it and gives me a weary look, “The ranch is a bit further down the road.” I didn’t know what he was talking about but took out my keys anyways. It wasn’t like I was seriously going to walk to some random ranch with this guy, especially when my house was right here.

He watched carefully as I turned around to my broken walkway and went up to the house. Sadly enough, the key was only for show, the door never actually locked properly. But I didn’t need him or anyone else in this town knowing that. I hear him mumble a few curse words as he walked away and watch as he slowly disappears down the road. I step into my house and let out a deep breath. There was no way I could control the smile that appeared onto my face. It may not have been the nicest interaction between two individuals but it was a hell of a lot better than I had been getting around here.

Letting out another breath, I look at the big project in front of me. What the hell did I get myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you all think! I'm kind of in love with my ideas right now so hopefully that equals greatness.

Comment.Befriend.Subscribe.Recommend.Promote.
Listen to your heart.
Please.

<3 Justrealizelife