Status: I don't how this will turn out. but it sounded fun to write. Updates as much as I can.

Hearts in Hand

Chapter One

As dusk came I felt as though it was time to stop walking, considering we had been going strong for more than five hours or so. Tyler's small, grubby hands were latched onto my neck, I could feel his warm breath as he let out yet another yawn. I don't know why he was so tired since he hasn't even walked at all. I don't blame him, he was only three years-old. I looked over to the familiar long blonde haired girl prancing beside me. Veronica was so energetic, I really loved that about her. She was a lot like her mother that way.

The snow was still falling steadily, and it was in fact quite cold. I don't know what state we were in now, not that it really mattered anyway. I lost all connection to all other people. The only things left put here were 'people' yes, or the used to be, at least. I'm not so fond on making cannibalistic friends.

"Daddy, where are we going to stay. I'm cold," Veronica spoke up, interrupting my thoughts. It seemed that I zoned out often, I always have, even as a child. I simply replied telling her that I didn't know. Jeez, did I know anything anymore? I don't know...

Ok I'm just gonna stop.

Luckily for us we haven't encountered any 'zombies' in awhile. It's hard enough being a single dad, try keeping you and two others away from people constantly trying to eat you. Yeah, not fun. Just over the hills of white, fluffy snow, I saw what I think to be a little cottage. Yes, perfect.

"Look dad, a cabin!" Veronica screeched.

"Veronica! Quiet down, you know they're attracted to sound," I whisper-shouted at her. Even though I didn't see any zombies, I didn't want to risk having a swarm coming toward us. We neared the little house and it appeared to be empty. I put Tyler down and reach for the door knob and turn it slowly.

As expected nobody comes rushing in to tell us to not trespass. A sigh of relief escapes my mouth, coming out in a cloud that reminded me of steam. Tyler always says that it makes us look like a dragon, breathing fire. I smile at the thought and shake my head. I loved that little guy. I just pray I can manage to keep them safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah yes, the first chapter. I hope you all enjoy my story I am planning on drawing the cover soon (not really draw I have this weird tablet thingy to draw on the computer) because as much as I like writing I'm not that good and I prefer art. Anyway, I'm just rambling on, so yeah, feel free to comment how good/bad you think it is so far. Also every chapter will be in Austin's point of view unless it says otherwise. Until the next chapter!