Status: Yep, this is back.

The Day I Met You

003

“Bruce Cook, Thomas Page, Mark Monea, Clinton Moore, Taka Higashino, Cam Sinclair, Kyle Loza, and Jackson Strong.”

“That’s a sick line up considering the way these guys have been riding,” Deegan approved.

“Are you sure you want to stay for this,” Jamie asked.

“I guess so. What’s the worst,” I asked as the first engine revved. My heart began to race as Bruce went down the hillside ramp. It seemed to get wilder as he sped toward the other ramp. I saw him yank the handle bars. It was almost like time stopped as he flew through the air.

“Bruce Cook is going for a… Oh! That’s a nasty fall.”

A pang shot straight through my heart. “Oh my god!” I stated as I stared at the crumpled man. I felt like my heart was breaking for him. They talked about how hard he’d been working to get here. Now, he was defeated. He’d landed really hard. It was like a train wreck that I just couldn’t look away from.

“He’s good,” Deegan said with a stern face, “Good job Cook! You’ll land it next time!”

Men in blue shirts gathered in a circle around him. They pushed everyone away while saying something that sounded like ‘give him some air.’ One of the men made Bruce turn his head to the left, turn his head to the right, wiggle all of his fingers, and then let him get off of the ground with some assistance.

Bruce waved a little to the crowd to signal he was alright. He limped pretty badly as they half carried him off of the dirt. Another engine revved, “Thomas Page is up next!”

Image


Two crashes and four very amazing tricks later, it was finally Kyle’s turn. “Loza is finally back in the game. After two years of being out due to injuries. He tried to bring this trick to X Games last year, but had an accident with it during practice that landed him in the ER,” someone to my left was explaining to a camera crew.

I couldn’t take my eyes away from that black and white uniform. I wanted to know what was going through his head at this very moment. I wanted to know why he grabbed my arm earlier. Most importantly, something in me wanted to get out of here. I planted my feet and continued staring.

Jamie grabbed my arm as if we were watching the murder scene in a horror movie. Deegan was holding his breath. “He has been working on this trick for at least two years now,” the announcer said slowly. The engine revved. Someone gave him the okay signal.

His bike went slowly at first down the hill side ramp. The moment his front tire hit the dirt he pulled the throttle. The bike raced towards the next ramp. Suddenly, Kyle was in the air. He was flying. He was trying to launch himself over the handle bars of the motorbike, but didn’t get the rotation he needed to flip the bike. His foot kicked out causing the bike to fly away from him. He hit the ground hard.

I didn’t realize I was crying until a sob escaped my throat. Deegan patted me on the back as Jamie rubbed my arm. “I told you this wasn’t a pretty event,” she half whispered.

“Kyle’s fine. I’ve seen him take falls a lot harder than that. Besides look,” Deegan tried to console me as he pointed towards the spot Kyle fell. Kyle Loza was gathering his bike while semi-waving at the audience. “He’s going to take a second shot at it.”

I looked over at Jamie horrified. My emotions must have been evident upon my facial features because she reached across me to grab Deegan’s arm. “I’m going to get her out of here,” Jamie nodded as she spoke.

“She’s scared or something,” Deegan asked with a smirk spreading across his features.

“No, I’ve got to go to work,” I answered half in truth. I did have to work, but I didn’t have to be there for another four and a half hours.

Before Deegan had any time to ask another question, Jamie was dragging me out of the building. I took slow deep breaths to calm my racing heart. Jamie turned to look at me. For a moment I was sure she was going to ask a question, and I was pretty sure I knew what that question might be. However, she turned back to find her car. “I’ll drive you home.”

“Alright,” I agreed. I knew I didn’t want to be alone. I couldn’t figure out why a little crash was affecting me so harshly. I knew it had something to do with the look in those green eyes of his, and I wanted to know more about the mysterious Kyle Loza.