Status: Yep, this is back.

The Day I Met You

006

‘Just breath, Reylyn. Inhale, exhale.’ I repeated to myself as I watch his wife help him over to the bar. He took a seat on the empty barstool next to Jamie. His eyes were dark, and his face held pain. His wife stood beside him because there were no more stools open.

“Um, hey,” Jamie smiled brightly as she tried to break the ice. However, the ice seemed to run thicker through my veins.

“Hey. You had a sick run at Winter X,” he said to her, but his eyes never left mine.

“Thanks,” she nodded. I wiped two beer mugs down.

I guessed it was my turn to speak, although I really didn’t want to. I put on the best smile I could muster which looked more like a grimace than a smile. I refused to acknowledge him. I kept eye contact with the woman as I asked, “Can I get you guys anything?”

“Um, I don’t think I want anything right this second…” she started.

“Two shots of Jack,” he cut in. I finally brought myself to look at him. His eyes were brown with green flecks, but they still held that same intensity I saw at the Games.

“Two shots of Jack it is.” Bottle and glassware flipping came naturally to me, so when I pulled out the shot glasses it seemed like the glasses had a life of their own. The woman was smiling brightly when I finished. Her hands tapped together without making much noise. Kyle downed his shot before looking at the woman. She shook her head and he took the other.

“Can I just get a bottle of water,” she asked. He looked at her as if she was insane.

“The boss man won’t let me carry water, or else I’d give you a bottle,” I explained. “Club soda okay?” She nodded, and I filled a glass.

“Don’t I know you,” he finally asked. I looked at Jamie as panic almost took control of my brain. I took a deep breath as I looked back to his face for a moment.

“I don’t know. Did Deegan introduce us at X Games,” I asked with an innocent tone. He examined my face as he circled the bottom of the shot glass with his pointer finger. I wanted to turn my face away, but I didn’t.

“There’s my new girl!” Deegan yelled as he clapped his hands over Kyle’s shoulders. Kyle must have shifted on his feet the wrong way because suddenly his face grew extremely pale and agony seemed to take over his already pain filled facial features. “Why didn’t you tell me you’re a wicked bartender?”

I smiled an almost real smile as I said, “You never asked, dear.”

“What can you make,” he asked.

“Whatever you want.”

“I want…” Deegan trailed off as he looked around at the bottles behind me.

I smiled as my thought tumbled out of my mouth, “I know exactly what you want. Fair warning thought, you’re going to hate me in the morning.”

His cocky grin showed off his dimples as he slammed his hand on the bar while saying, “I could never hate you.”

I pulled out a curvy cocktail glass. I grabbed my trustee black shaker and added the white, golden, and dark rums, the apricot brandy, pineapple and papaya juices, and a dash of grenadine. I threw in a little ice and shook the ingredients well. The pinkish orange liquid was poured into the pretty glass and topped with 151 proof rum. I studied Deegan’s curious face for a moment before I decided against the normal topper of a cherry and tiny umbrella. I grabbed my box of matches from my pocket, struck one, and lit the substance. A blue flame filled the rim of the glass. I pushed the glass toward Deegan, who looked at me expectantly.

“You should blow that out,” I instructed him as I went back to wiping glasses.

“You blow it out for me,” he said with an eyebrow raised. I looked over his shoulder to the woman he showed up with. She was rolling her eyes but laughing nevertheless.

“Does the date approve,” I questioned as I looked at her. She nodded. I leaned over, making sure to keep eye contact with Deegan, and blew out the flame slowly.

“Damn…” he trailed off as he took the glass.

“You’re limited to two of those before I have to cut you off from all alcohol.”

Deegan took a sip and laughed. “This is so fruity. It’s gay!” I smiled widely at Jamie as she realized what I’d done. Deegan decided against sipping the drink, instead he gulped it down.

“You’re going to regret that in the morning,” Jamie laughed.

“Why,” he questioned.

“That was a Zombie, and you will definitely feel like one tomorrow.”

“Can you make a decent Jack Rose,” Kyle questioned. I pulled my attention away from Deegan.

“Yeah, but I’m out of applejack and lime juice,” I answered as I shifted my attention back to Jamie.

“Did Jessie come back in?”

She shook her head, “I don’t think so.”

“I hate this music he’s got playing. If I hear another Weezy song! Why couldn’t he have just let the classics keep going,” I whined.

“You want me to go check on him,” she turned to get off the stool. I was just about to answer when the bar doors were flung open. Jessie was outside for what seemed like forever, but I guessed his time limit was about half an hour since Buster was standing in the middle of the door way.

Buster was in his early fifties. His bleach blond hair was white against his too tanned skin. He never wore a decent shirt, if he decided to wear a shirt at all, and he always had on some oddly decorated swim trunks. When he decided to wear shoes they were undoubtedly going to be flip-flops. At the particular moment, Buster was bare chested and footed holding his arms out wide while yelling my name. Jessie followed in behind him in a subtle way.

Every one turned to look at Buster. He walked into the bar as if he was already high, but he didn’t do drugs. He looked at a few people in his famous ‘sup dude’ way. “Thanks for telling me about the party, Rey,” he laughed as he finally reached me. “What’s with all the jerseys on these dudes?”

“Boss man, meet the MotoX crowd that preformed at the Games today,” I laughed. Jessie shrugged at me from across the bar.

“No, man, really,” Buster questioned.

“Can you give me a break real quick, Bust. I need some air.”

“Sure thing babe.”

I walked from behind the counter, grabbed Jamie’s hand and walked outside. I pulled the fresh air into my lungs breath by breath. I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes. All the while she kept repeating, “Are you alright.”

“He’s married,” was the only thing I had to say. He was so intense earlier. He was a little intense in the bar. How could he possibly be married?

“Hey, no it’s no big deal. Deegan knows pretty much everyone. I promise we’ll find someone better,” she tried to cheer me up.

“What do you think about Jessie,” I blurted out.

A sly grin spread across her face as she laughed, “I think he has a thing for you.”

“Me too,” I laughed. I pulled out my matches and a cigarette.

“Don’t you know those will kill you,” Jamie half hissed.

“Yeah, but it’s a lot slower than drowning,” I retorted as I lit the cig.

She shook her head at me. I could tell she didn’t know what to say to me. No one knew what to say to me anymore. I was finally beginning to resemble a whole person again after six years. I just didn’t know who that person was.

Jamie snatched the cig from my lips and stomped it out. “Let’s go back inside.” I glared at her for a moment before sighing and nodding. “We’re going to start training tomorrow,” Jamie stated nonchalantly as she swung open the doors.

I wanted to scream, but if I did people would want to know why. People would find out I wasn’t as brave or as tough as I appeared. I would break into a million pieces. So, I didn’t argue with Jamie. We would train tomorrow.