Status: Well... I hope this is what you were all expecting for an good, clean start to kick of the sequel. Let me know!

Viva La Gloria II: 21st Century Breakdown

11. If You Give A Tré a Slurpee

I put the boxed up guitar into the trunk and slammed it loudly. Walking around the car to the drivers side. I climbed in and started the engine. Mike began to complain about how hungry he was, and soon the others joined in. Billie shot me a grin from the passengers seat. Lucky for him he screamed shotgun the second we came out the door. Jason was a pretty close second. Now Billie annoyed Jason by sticking out his tongue just as Jason had over 25 minutes ago.
I pulled into a parking spot in front of Ben's Diner. It's a new burger restaurant in Torrington. Which the building it's in is quite hilarious to watch because it's been under so many different managements and names. There was a Hardys, and Mexican food place. And two other burger joints before this one. But this one seems to be most popular. I just hope that it lasts longer than six months. The others had been out within that time frame.
We walked inside. It was warm from the heat coming from the kitchen in the back. A waitress waited by the counter with short cropped black hair. Chewing a piece of gym loudly.
I led the boys to an ring booth in the back of the restaurant. We all sat down and waited for the waitress.
When she came, it was the same one that had been up front. She looked expectantly at everyone at the table. Her eyes landing appreciatively on Billie. Who was looking down, tracing the patterns in the wood on the table top.
I glared down. I shouldn't care if she was looking at him like he was the hottest man alive.
I stole a quick look at Billie. Shit! He was.
I swallowed back and forced the heat out of my cheeks. I wished I'd taken the spot next to him when I'd had the chance.
“What can I get you boys?” she asked in the sweetest voice she possibly could. I shot a sharp glare up at her. I'm clearly not a boy. But she didn't notice, too busy ogling over Billie.
“Mountain Dew.” Mike piped up.
“Dr. Pepper.” Jason said cooly.
“Chocolate milk!” Tré three his hands up into the air, startling the shit out of the waitress. 
She regained her composer and looked back to Billie “Root beer.” he said without looking up at her. Her jaw flexed as she unwillingly looked down at me.
“Root Beer.” I murmured. Taken back by her hostile glare.
She merely nodded and spun on her heal heading back for the kitchen.
Everyone let out a long gust of air. Relief no doubt. I looked at Billie. He was still being indifferent. But happier as he joked with Mike about something that happened during the Nimrod tour.
I decided to mind my own business and drop my gaze to the wooden table.
“Hey Gloria.”
I looked up to see Tré. Twisting and un twisting a strand of orange hair from his Mohawk.
“Yes?”
“Do you have a boyfriend?” he asked bluntly.
I raised my eyebrows and leaned back in my chair. “Why do you want to know?”
Tré threw a quick glance at Billie then back to me. “Because I just want to! Quit asking so many questions.” he threw his hands up, exasperated.
My eyes narrowed “If I do recall, your the one asking all the weird questions, Tré.” I leaned across the table. Seeking out his flaws in his shell of toughness. He floundered. “Well do you or not?” 
I saw Billie glance up at me for a fraction of a second.
“No.” I said curtly “And if I did, do you think he would just leave me alone to spend a whole week with a bunch of guys staying in my house?” I asked Tré seriously. Though it was directed to Billie. I knew he was the one who put innocent Tré up to asking me.
He shrugged and leaned back. Pressing his fingers together like a psychiatric. He nodded slowly “Too Shay.”
The waitress came back then. Carrying a platter of drinks. She grinned again at Billie before setting them all down. But not leaving until she felt that Billie Joe's drink was perfect enough for him to drink. Yes he is a world famous rock star, and yes he is just as human as the rest of us. Which means that he can put up with having a few less ice cubes than the next guy and with survive without a little paper umbrella in his drink. He leaned back and thanked her as she unwillingly wrenched herself away from our table. Going to wait on an elderly man sitting alone in a ring booth.
I glanced gingerly between each boy. In the last week they had literally become family to me. And it will probably kill me when he leaves for California again to begin work on 21st Century Breakdown.
I grimaced. Then had to remind myself how lucky I'd been about the whole thing. And that I was being unreasonably stubborn.
“Hey Tré, have you ever been roller skating?” I grinned at him. Still leaning across the table.
He shrugged “I'm more of a skate boarder type. But sure, do you want to go?” 
I sighed “We cannot go tonight, maybe on the first of September. The day after tomorrow. I'll take you to Skate City. When I was thirteen, that was among the Main things Torrington had to offer for fun.”
He laughed “What's left now? Twelve years later.”
“Nothing but that and the river and trouble making. Why go home and be in at curfew when you could be out spray painting black teeth on the billboard outside of Torrington for State Farm.”
Mike chuckled as he had a vision.
I leaned back again.
The waitress returned again to take our orders. Once again, more willing to Billie than the rest of us.
When she left, Mike filled in Billie on the scoop. He hadn't looked up at the waitress once. Therefor being un suspicious of if she had a crush on him or not. 
“Dude, did you see that?” Mike asked Billie casually. Leaning over the table. Billie glanced up for a second “What?”
“You mean that you didn't see that waitress totally checking you out?” he laughed.
Billie raised his eyebrows. “What?” he chuckled. Repeating his same sentence as before.
“That waitress...” Mike pointed to the kitchen door where she had disappeared. “Was totally checking you out Beej.” he leaned back, resting his case.
Billie stared at Mike for a long moment then shook his head chuckling “That's impossible.”
Mike cocked an eyebrow “Why is what I'm telling you impossible?”
“Because...” Billie stopped to laugh “Because why would she be checking me out... When I'm so..  So damn ugly!” he broke out laughing hysterically.
He pounded his fist on the table and everyone leaned away from him. 
“Talk about mass hysteria.” muttered Mike.
I nodded in agreement with Mike. “Does he always do this?” I whispered to Mike.
He shrugged “Only when someone brings up a situation where he can call himself ugly with reason. Rather than just blurting out ‘I'm ugly!’ we do not have a stinky breathed Spongebob on our hands, we have one that simply enjoys being unattractive.” he sighed and took a long drink of Mountain Dew.
I nodded solemnly and looked up at Billie to see he was just finishing up his laughing fit. He was still chuckling. Tears of joy streamed from his eyes and his face red. Then he noticed our looks and straightened up. Regaining his composure.
“Sorry... About... That...”
The waitress came back juggling three plates. She sat them down and went to get the rest. When she returned, she glanced up at Billie out of habit. Then gasped. “My god! Sir, are you alright?”
Billie glanced at her and chuckled again. She had been the source of the whole joke “ I'm fine, just sharing some laughs with my dudes and dudet.” he stole a quick glance at me before looking up at the waitress again with a smart ass smile on his face. Waiting for her to start checking him out. Little did he know she was doing it this very second.
She nodded slowly and set down the last two plates and turned and left.
That left us alone for most of our meal.
“Man, I don't even know what to get your brother.” Billie said after a bit.
I glanced up at him, surprised that he had brought it up again. “What? You know that you don't have to do that right?”
He shrugged and looked down. “I want too. After all, I am apart of his favorite band.” he winked.
I sighed heavily and shook my head “I just don't know about you sometimes. But if thats what you want...” I shrugged.
He took an deep breath “Actually, I have an fabulous idea for a gift!”
“What?” I asked him without looking up.
“We, Green Day, as a band. Are going to blueify that guitar you bought for him. It'll be the greatest gift ever. And plus we will preform a setlist of his choice at his party tomorrow. Anyways, who is gonna be there?” he asked casually. Trying to change the subject.
“First of all, my aunt, grandparents, my other two aunts and uncles. And all five of my cousins. It will be a big birthday party. Second of all, Billie Joe Armstrong. You cannot just go blueify that guitar I bought for him just because you want an quick fix for a gift to a kid you hardly know.”
Mike's eyebrows raised and he whistled “Hoo hoo, dude. She burned you pretty good.”
Billie glared at him.
“Why not?” he pouted.
“Because I can't have you butting in on my gift!”
“Why not?” he whined again. This time making a face.
“Because it comes from the heart. Not what will make someone like you beyond infinity.”
He snorted and looked away. Staying very silent until the waitress returned with our bill. Sensing the tension, she didn't even look at Billie this time as she wished us a good evening. I looked out the windows. The sun had crept across the sky to the horizon while we sat here. I checked my phone for the time. 4:25.
“Gloria.” Billie began quietly “We've been at each others throats all day. And it all seems to be my fault. I'm very sorry for my poor behavior today. And I will be on my best tomorrow.”
I peeked at him grudgingly. Then sighed and leaned across the table for a brief half hug.
“I'm sorry.” I muttered.
“No, I'm sorry Gloria.”
I looked into his eyes and became Absolutely unaware of the other three around us. Or the ring booths full of people gawking. Or the waitress dishing out to the cashier girl about the situation between me and Billie anxiously.
I took a deep breath and leaned away from him. His hands still twined around my wrists.
Ha, what was this world coming too?
I got up after a few minutes and stretched. I walked up front to pay the bill with Billie tagging along. Nagging me about him paying instead the whole way. Yes, I know the agreement I made with him the other day at McDonalds, and yes I know that I'm violating it by paying again. But it doesn't bother me.
He pouted as he watched me write out a check and hand it over. As we walked silently out the doors Billie finally spoke his annoyance.
“You didn't have to do that... Again.” he muttered. Smiling slightly.
I shrugged “It don't bother me to buy dinner for my favorite band.”
He paused, then caught up with us as we walked to the car. The early evening becoming cool.
“We're still your favorite band?”
“Of course. There could be no other.”
“But...” he stammered “Even after the little shit head I've been to you all day, you still love me?— er... I mean Green... Uh, Green Day.” he blushed and looked away. His hair danced like midnight waves. The light warm breeze tossed his hair slightly.
“Yes, I could.” I grinned, then turned and sprinted to the car. He raced me until we both stood on the same side of the car— the passengers side.
“Shotgun.” I grinned. I knew that Billie was absolutely sick of that word today.
He rolled his eyes “Who's gonna drive?”
I rolled my own and jabbed him in the chest with my finger “You are.”
Leaving him dumb founded, I dropped my heavily key-chained car keys into his hand and leapt over the door into the shotgun seat.
He stalked around the car and climbed in the drivers seat. Staring at the dashboard like it was the control panel of a space ship.
“Uh...” he stuttered.
“Turn the key.” I mocked him.
He received a bunch of low chuckles from the backseat.
He tossed an evil glare back at them and turned back to the wheel. Reaching hesitantly for the key.
“Haven't you ever driven one of these?” I asked him, breaking his concentration. I rolled my eyes and smiled while he prepared to drive it. Remembering now the last time I'd seen him drive anything was crashing his tour bus in the Los Angeles police department parking lot.
“I have.” he snapped “It's been a while... Little foggy, y'know? Uh, just give me a second to... Remember.”
“Whatever.” I said.
“What?” Billie looked at me.
“It's Whatsername, dumb ass. It's your song.” I joked with him laughing. But he took it very seriously.
“Lighten up dammit.” Mike snickered. Leaning over Billie's shoulder.
Billie sighed heavily “Yeah, whatever.”
“Your such a grizzle grump today.” I laughed. Poking him with enthusiasm.
“Oh well.” he turned the key and began to back out.
“I thought you said that you couldn't remember.” I giggled while he waited to turn into a lane.
He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Turning it into a rumpled mess.
“Some things you never forget... Others are always with you. Just need some refreshing.”
I nodded in agreement as I caught gist of what he was saying.
“Hey, wait.” I said as he approached the turn for my street. 
“What?” he asked not looking away from the road.
“I need to go to the grocery store. I hate to admit it but... You guys eat me out of a house at home.”
He surprised me by laughing, “Ok then, I suppose that's pretty true. This one?” he asked pointing at Main Street Market. The supermarket next to the street that led to my house.
I nodded “No, I need to go to the one by the river. Down that way.” I pointed down the highway that led out of town toward Colorado. Beside the bridge and the Platte River was Kelly's Super.
I knew that both stores had the same stuff, but I wanted to go to that one because id have more time with him that way. And that seems very very selfish.
He shrugged and gunned my car up to the legal 55 miles an hour and headed to the store. The radio was turned down so low you could hardly hear it. The roof was down on my convertible Camero so you could see the stunning sunset clearly. It was five now and the sky was turning orange. I have to enjoy these things every night cause you rarely see them for the six months of winter and spring.
I would miss the warmth and the sun.
He parked the car and climbed out onto the sidewalk. Waited for me, Tré, Mike and Jason.
We went inside. I had no grocery list or much idea of what to get so I looked around the store first. The store always smelled sweetly of grease and seasonings that floated through the air from the deli. Making your stomach churn hungrily if it were empty. 
Tré inhaled deeply then sighed with relief “That smells good... I'm hungry.”
I threw my hands up in exasperation “You just ate!”
“But I'm suddenly still hungry.”
“Did you not hear what I just said?”
“Yeah... But still.” he grumbled.
I chuckled and went to the milk isle while Billie shoved the cart. Mike and Jason were joking about something.
“Your just a little bundle of joy aren't you?” Billie laughed.
I rolled my eyes and chuckled “The dude eats like an horse.”
He nodded “That is true...”
“So are you excited?” I asked him while I examined a jug of milk.
“For what?” he asked caught of guard.
“Your show this week.” I stated.
“Oh, yeah.” he said slowly “It will be very different from stadium shows and bar shows. Cause we will be playing for a ton of minors. But the minors have the most money and tend to be the biggest Green Day fans. There forth luring more people the the talent festival.”
I understood him well. “Yes, I suppose that it would be a bit different.” I laughed. Setting the milk into the cart and turning my back on him again to look at cheese. The last I saw of the stuff I'd had in my fridge, I saw Tré slink off with it to his room a few days ago. So I tossed some more into the cart and carried on the the next isle. Then the next and next until I regretted asking Tré to choose a box of cereal that he'd like. Then everyone's response to what he'd choose would be like “Gross, not that! It tastes like cardboard.” or “No, dammit Tré! None of that fucking healthy crap.” that one came from Billie. By the time Tré had selected something no one had backslapped him on, it was a box of cornflakes. Tré slid up to the cart and dropped it in. No more humor in his face.
I was caught up in feeling sorry for Tré when I heard my name called out behind me 
“Gloria!”
I turned to see my parents and brother. “What are you doing in town? I thought you said you wouldn't be in again this morning.”
My mom shrugged “We forgot some things shopping last week. So we are back in town for more ingredients.”
Garrett looked up at his idols for an long chunk of time. Trying to understand that they were really there. I find myself doing that sometimes too.
My mom looked back at me “So what are you doing out? You sounded too busy this morning to go pick up the package for me.” she laughed.
Billie stole a quick wave from my dad.
“Well I did.” I said shaking my head. Saying it with heavy annoyance.
“Yeah, well. Do you mind if I drop by your house and pick it up? I want to wrap it up all special.” she ruffled my brothers hair.
He hastily scrubbed it back into place.
I sighed and looked at the others and my nearly bare cart. “Sure, just let me finish up shopping here and we can head over.”
She nodded in agreement and went back to shopping down another isle. My dad followed her, so did Billie and Mike. My dad liked Mike, I could see it on his face because his parents own a farm. I'm not sure why he likes Billie. My poorest guess is because his father was a Safe Way driver and drivers haul food, and food comes from farms. In a roundabout way.
Jason and Tré meekly walked beside my mom. Tré talking animatedly about the soap he had purchased from her a few days ago. And chatting about tomorrow. Lucky me, he didn't spill the beans about the noisy, expensive present I'd bought.
“Hi Gloria.” my brother smiled somberly.
“You think I can't tell?” I accused him. Smiling.
His smile dripped “What?”
“I can tell.”
“Tell what?!”
“That you are excited for tomorrow, dope.”
He rolled his eyes “Maybe just a little.”
“Aha! I suspected as much.”
“I don't get you.” he said shaking his head sadly.
“No one ever does. Why else do you think Billie is about to rip his hair out with me today? I am utterly un-understandable.” I threw my hands up in explanation.
He just shrugged “Smart guy.”
“What?!” I accused him.
“Nothing.”
“You said he was a smart guy. That must classify me as a dumbass.” I crossed my eyes and enjoyed his expression as he cringed away.
“At least you get to spend forever with your idol.”
“First of all, I don't get to spend forever with him. Or as long as I'd like too. Second of all, who's your idol and why do you care if I'm with mine?” I laughed. Watching him as he looked away “I don't know.”
“Tell me! I promise I won't tell anyone.”
“Maybe your idol.” he said cuttingly. Especially for an ten year old, eleven tomorrow.
“Billie is you idol?” I asked picking up a bottle of peroxide from the medicine rack.
He shrugged and kicked at an bundled up thermal blanket on the bottom shelf.
“Dude, don't get boiled about it. You can see him whenever you'd like. Just call me and we will be out in a heartbeat.” I could feel the fakeness to that promise. Yet was determined to keep it.
He looked up at me finally “Really?” he asked skeptically.
I shrugged the  Nodded “I mean not like on the dot but like in a time frame of an hour to two.” I applied the rules but he didn't seem affected by it.
“Will they come tomorrow?” he asked.
“Of course. They are family to you and me right? And I think that they are growing on mom and dad.” I snickered, pointing to where my mom and dad had given up on shopping and just stood around talking.
He laughed “Good point.”
“Right?”
He nodded and we began to make our way over to where they were talking.
“Oh Gloria!” he called before they were in hearing range.
“Yeah?”
“Thanks.”
 I nodded and looked back at mom telling Tré stories about how her soap business came to be.
We smiled and talked while they did. It felt empty though, between us there had never been any tension or anything. And now I really didn't know what to say to him besides comment on his birthday.
He looked very somber and well above his age in wiseness. He knew me very well, but not well enough because he wasn't even of creation the thirteen years ago when I first started obsessing over Green Day's music, and later it's singer.
When he was a baby and onforth, whenever I was in charge of babysitting him, id turn on my music. So as he grew, it was naturally an normal thing to listen to them. We are probably the ultimate Green Day fangirls, ha, or fanboy. Even though neither of us had been to an official concert. I had to break into those venues in Austen and New York and Denver. My bother just hasn't been all together. 
Yes, I went to their performance at the August.
No, it doesn't count as an authentic Green Day performance because they weren't scheduled until moments prior to.
When my dad, Mike and Billie wrapped up their conversation. And my mom and Tré and Jason had too, we all headed to the checkout. Tossing my stuff onto the counter, I realized I'd picked up more than I'd thought. But this time Billie made it in time to intervene and put one twenty and a ten onto the counter. He grinned like a smartass, glad he had out smarter me.
We carried the bags into the house and set them on the living room floor. Walking back to my bedroom to obtain the big cardboard box.
My mom followed behind after a few seconds.
She was very easy going but didn't like the fact that I'd never painted this room of the house when I'd moved in. I just never felt like there was a color it would look better in than dirty white. And I guess I just needed the reminder of how tough things were when I'd moved out. A reminder of the real world. A world when Green Day hadn't been such a top priority. Survival was my goal and I think I succeeded pretty well.
She sighed heavily behind me, here it comes...
“Gloria. I know how much you love your room and it's... Color. But don't you think that it is time for a repainting? To add some pizazz and sparkle to the works.”
I shrugged and pointed behind my mom to the bit of wall by the door.
“Is that painting enough?”
She turned and looked. Silent for an minute she stared up at it much like Billie had. Taking in every little detail. Though she had never seen the album art so it's hard to make a resemblance without her jumping to conclusions.
“Huh, you really love this guy don't you?” she looked up for a while longer. This is what I meant by jumping to conclusions.
I sighed “It's not Billie mom.”
“Then who is he?”
“Why does it matter who he is? That's not even me. Its Christian and Gloria.”
She looked at me skeptically. “Yeah, Gloria. I'm really that stupid. Her name is Gloria, your name is Gloria. And honestly, that looks more like that boy in the other room than any Christian you could resemble him too.”
I held up my finger to tell her one minute. Then ran to the living room and got my laptop. Right where Billie had left it; on the coffee table.
I opened a new tab and got onto the same website as yesterday. I scrolled down until I found the picture I was looking for, the album artwork.
She looked at it for a few seconds then nodded.
“Eh, pretty close I guess.”
I rolled my eyes and grinned “You just want it to be him.”
She shook her head looking at the floor “I want you to be aware of how happy I am and proud of you that you followed your dreams. I just never imagined... This one. Oddly enough I am still very happy you seemed to pull out happiness in the whole situation. You... Are a very strong young woman. You have an advantage to see the world differently than others. Don't waste the gift and make the most of it.”
She rested her palms on my shoulders staring at me severely with her motherly glare. She wanted what was best for me. Even if what I chose was best in my opinion... My not be the same in hers.
She nodded one more time before Tré burst into the room, holding a chocolate bar high in the air screaming “CHOCOLATE! CHOCOLATE! I FUCKING LOVE CHOCOLATE!” he smashed it into his mouth. Chewing loudly, he had an river of chocolate dripping from his chin. Me and my mom exchanged startled looks. Mine was for wondering what she was thinking, hers was because she hasn't spent her whole life studying Tré and his behavior. Or spent the last week with him, so she hadn't been excepting this at all.
But by any rate, she should become used to Tré's constant ranting.
“Shit!” grunted Mike. Coming in quickly after Tré. Holding is hands behind his back trying to drag him out of the room. 
“Sorry.” he grinned. Closing the door behind him. “You know Gloria, this could have been prevented” he said. Peeking back in again.
“How?”
“Does the word Slurpee mean anything to you? Perhaps my warning should have been heeded earlier. ‘Don't give Tré Slurpees. He gets really hyper.’” he said, impersonating himself with a nagging tone from earlier. 
I rolled my eyes “Get out.” 
He rolled his too and ducked out of the doorway. Suddenly, the sound of hell breaking loose broke out outside the door.
Mike peeked in one more time “In an totally unrelated question... You wouldn't happen to have a roll of duck tape, rope and a burlap sack, just laying around somewhere? Would you?” he shrugged.
I sighed heavily and walked over to the doorway. I pointed across the living room into the next corridor of their rooms.
“Try the office.”
“Thanks.” he nodded before sprinting down the hall. My last glimpse of Tr'e was seeing him hog tied on the floor by Jason with an apple shoved in his mouth. Squealing bloody murder.
My dad and Billie chuckled, standing off hand. Talking about lord knows what.
“Holy she...” I began. Staring at the mayhem that had broken out in my living room as I opened the bedroom door again. I shook my head sadly and turned to my mother “I'm sorry you had to see that.”
“I'm sorry you have to live with them.” she grinned with an impressed expression on her face. I returned the grin “I'm not.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok a few things to be stated about this chapter.
Number one, chapter eleven is finally up!
Number two, I changed the title to this one because you know those 'if you give a moose a muffin' and so on books? Yeah that's where my inspiration came from.
I love the diner part hehe.
Also, go read Wild One by searching Billie Joe! It is the most awesome fanfic ever and it's final chapter was just posted.
And common! I haven't gotten a single comment on this one yet, you could be the first *HINT HINT* love you all and thank you for keeping up with these long chapters. Hopefully they aren't too boring... Hehe
Love you all! Xoxo