Status: Ongoing, but an irregular schedule

State of Play

Game 2: Spirit Chess (Part One)

"Am I... am I dead...?" Renton thought as he existed in a world of all black. No sight, no sound, just black. Nothingness, nil.
"No, I can't be, I can still think... Unless... that's a part of being dead." His confusion began to rise to anxiety.
"Is there a Heaven, a Hell? Limbo? Purgatory? Anything?!" He tried to scream, but in the silence he never found out if sound was created.
Now Renton was in full on panic.
"What's going on?! Where am I?! Am I dead, or not?!"
In the midst of his confusion, suddenly a light began to shine, a flicker, then suddenly a full bloom luminescence covered his gaze, or lack thereof.

Renton awoke in what appeared to be a castle courtyard. There were plants, moss and other flora about while there was a fountain by a small waterfall.

"What now?" he thought. "Wait a minute," he began aloud. "I can see! I can hear!! I'm alive!"

"Not yet, you aren't." A voice began. Renton turned around to see a boy about his age, maybe a little younger standing before him. He was dressed in all black, with short, black hair and a red mark on his forehead. "Renton Tsuyugen."

"What do you mean?" Renton asked "Are you the Grim Reaper?"

"Nonsense," the boy began "My name is Soren, and this is the border between your world and the next."

"My world and the next?"

"Yes. You can only return to life if you pass a trial."

"What kind of trial?" Renton asked, his voice somehow brimming with confidence.

"We're going to play a simple game of chess. That will be your trial."

"Chess? Why chess?" Though Renton was happy it was a game and not some quest where he would have had to slay a dragon!

"Why do you ask so many questions?" Soren asked, annoyed. "We're going to play a game of chess, that's all. Now follow me."

Renton and Soren walked through the garden until they reached a small chess table with a board and chairs. They each took a seat and Renton noticed the board was empty.

"Where are the pieces?" Renton asked

"Just wait a minute, impatient one!" Soren closed his eyes, moved his hands over the board and both sides were full with chess pieces. Renton's made of diamond, while Soren's were onyx.

"Now..." Soren began. "It's time to play."