Status: Get ready for one wild summer

Atonement Retreat

Isabelle Hayes

Izzie felt drained. Hiking had been a disaster; Tyler proved to be more of a hassle than she’d ever imagined. He was so perpetually angry at everything, including her, that the campers were becoming well aware of his less-than-pleasant demeanor. She felt a glimpse of hope when they had shared a laugh at Rian and Dylan’s expense, but he easily squashed that hope the moment she awoke this morning.

She rolled her eyes at him as he sat on the cot in his usual stony silence. She let her wet hair down from it’s ponytail, snatching her phone from the bed before she walked out of the room. She was too upset with Tyler and his attitude the day before to even consider acknowledging him in a pleasant way.

Izzie herded the campers across to the cafeteria as she did the morning previous, this time not caring whether or not Tyler had the common sense to get out of bed to join them. She skillfully dodged their questions, but when she entered the cafeteria she was unable to dodge her boss.

“Izzie! Just the girl I was looking for!” Nicole announced, flashing her a smile that suggested the upcoming conversation wouldn’t be pleasant. The campers around her instantly scattered for the food line, leaving her defenseless in front of the wild-haired woman. She cringed, but instantly recovered with a pleasant smile to save face.

“Nicole! Yeah!” She answered awkwardly, reaching up and subconsciously running a hand through her wet hair. Due to the heat, her thick hair was already drying quickly.

“Where’s Tyler at?”

Izzie made a scene of scanning the cafeteria before she looked at Nicole, feigning shock. “I don’t know! He was just behind me with some of the kids. Maybe he got lost, or had to use the bathroom.”

“Isabelle, you’re a terrible actor. You should thank the Lord every day that you aren’t majoring in drama.” Nicole rounded on Izzie like a hawk surveying its prey. “I’ve been hearing a lot about you and Tyler from the other campers. Why were the two of you arguing on the trails yesterday?”

Izzie huffed as she considered her words carefully. “Look, I’m trying. I really am. But Tyler... he’s not nice. He won’t even attempt to meet me halfway. He acts like everything is some huge burden and-”

“Isabelle Hayes! You are the one that gathered him and Dylan as sponsors to keep this thing going! I don’t want to hear about you fighting with him or dogging him, because he’s doing a huge thing for us. This is very important, and I need you to make Tyler feel welcome and comfortable.” Nicole explained.

“I’m trying that!” She exclaimed, knowing very well that she was delivering her case to someone who had already made up their mind. “I’m thankful, believe me I am... I just-”

“Tyler was grateful for this opportunity. He had a lot going on, he needs a break. Don’t make this stressful for him, Isabelle.” Nicole said. Izzie sighed deeply, feeling much like a loser as she accepted her defeat. “Play nice.”

“Welcome to Nicole’s shit list.” Rian muttered, eyeing the woman as she retreated to the other side of the cafeteria. “No offense, Izzie, but these guys weren’t a good idea.”

Izzie groaned. “I had no options, literally none! This was the only way-”

“No, no!” Rian held up her hands defensively. “I’m not attacking you, Iz. Relax. I just think these dudes are a pain in the ass, and I refuse to let them ruin this.”

She felt the frustration welling up in her, deep beneath her chest as she thought about Tyler’s attitude and Nicole’s delusional speech. She glanced over at her campers, the feelings intensifying. Izzie spent many summers with some of these kids, easing their pains and trying to shape their lives into something that would leave a mark on this world.

Nicole would come to find that Isabelle Hayes had a very different perspective on the term “playing nice”.

***


Nicole was orchestrating the canoeing festivities, more than likely as a silent threat to prevent the events that had transpired the day before. Tyler chuckled a bit as he remembered his wet friend, who seemed to always be seconds away from being murdered by his fellow counselor. He still wished that they could switch; he’d much rather be stuck with the angry one versus chatty Kathy.

Nicole ushered him toward the canoes, and to his horror he saw that he she was pairing him with Izzie. “Uh, I can go-”

“Tyler, you can ride with Izzie.” Nicole told him warmly, grabbing his arm and pulling him towards the dreaded boat. He tried to protest, but she cut him off. “No horse-playing, Tyler.”

He didn’t plan on horse-playing. If anything, he planned on ripping off part of his shirt and using it to gag the blonde so that she wouldn’t chatter the entire time. He watched as she crossed over the throng of campers toward him, eyeing him only briefly before she nodded at Nicole and threw her hair up into a ponytail.

“I’ll sit in the front,” She told him coldly, grabbing one of the oars and situating the boat. He rolled his eyes, contemplating shoving the canoe into the water without getting in behind her. Instead, he waited for her to clamber in. Once she was situated, he grabbed his own oar before pushing them off into the water. When he jumped in, the canoe teetered dangerously for a moment.

“Everybody, push off carefully into the water!” Izzie shouted over her shoulder. “Wait for Nicole’s assistance if you’re unsteady!”

Tyler contemplated accidentally taking her out with the oar as he began to maneuver the piece. “You’re supposed to have your oar on the opposite side of mine!”

“Then put yours on the other side of the damn boat!” Tyler fired back. Izzie let out an animalistic growl.

“I’m in front, I’ll put my oar on whatever side I want!”

It was Tyler’s turn to growl as he angrily thrust the oar onto the other side of the boat. With the spat out of the way, the rest of the canoeing adventure between the two of them was silent. However, Izzie made sure to keep in constant communication with the youngsters. She purposely slowed down her paddling as to let the kids pass them, cheering them on as they got excited about passing their superiors. Tyler had to admit she was good with the children, but her enthusiastic tones were like fingernails on a chalkboard.

By the time the activities were over, Tyler’s skin was warmly bronzed from the sun and his patience was exhausted. His socks and shoes were disgustingly soaked and his feet were pruned, thanks to Izzie refusing to get out of the canoe to pull them ashore. He glared at her as she stepped out of the boat, dry and smiling as she greeted some of the campers.

They began to systematically pull the rest of the campers in, the majority of the kids managing to get them soaked head-to-toe. When the last canoe came in, Izzie began to wade in the water toward it. It was only a mere five feet away when the canoe tipped, sending two screaming kids into the water. Tyler made a move to go for them but Izzie was already there, grabbing for both of the kids and holding them above water by their collars.

“Stop standing there like you’re stupid!” She barked, struggling to keep the two kids afloat with her tiny frame. Tyler, feeling embarrassed for being scolded in front of a bunch of children, pushed through the water to grab one of the young boys to safety. When everyone was out of the water, Izzie immediately began to fuss and assess the two to be sure we’re okay.

“I’m sorry,” The smaller boy sputtered. “I was just excited to get out of the water!”

“I know, I know.” She murmured, patting his shoulder. “Are you sure you’re okay? Do you need me to take you to the nurse?”

After arguing back and forth with the kids for several minutes as to their health status, Izzie was finally reassured that the kids were by no means dying. She allowed them to go over by the other campers, who were diligently putting away the equipment.

Tyler prepared himself as Izzie rounded on him, her eyes narrow. “When there are two children in the water, you don’t just stand there. We are responsible for these kids. Life jackets or not, they can still get hurt.”

“Jesus Christ, they’re fine. I’m sorry, okay? I’m not used to this. Just shut the hell up.” Tyler groaned. Izzie crossed her arms over her chest, letting out a little gasp.

“Excuse me? Don’t tell me to shut up, I didn’t do absolutely-”

“Don’t start giving me that victim bullshit, okay? You’ve been riding my ass since I got here! Seriously, can’t you just leave me alone? Haven’t I made that clear enough? Stop talking to me! You’re not cute, you’re not funny, you’re just annoying so shut the hell up!” Tyler shouted. Some of the nearer kids were staring at him with widened eyes, but he couldn’t control himself at this point. The angry dam within him had broken, and he wanted to rid himself of Izzie. “Not everyone wants to be your damn friend. So stop singing and for god’s sakes, stop talking!”

He waited for her to scream back at him, because he needed it. He needed someone to be as angry as him, he wanted someone to feel the swelling emotions that flooded through every fiber of his being every second of the day. Instead she held in a breath, clasping her hand over her mouth as she looked at him. For a moment he could’ve sworn he saw a tear in her eye, which was typical. He rolled his eyes as she turned on her heel and walked toward the campers.

“C’mon guys, let’s go get a snack!” She shouted over her shoulder, her voice cracking in the slightest.

Some part of Tyler would’ve felt guilty as he watched her bowed her head, but instead, he felt nothing at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tyler finally snapped. Aye, aye, aye.

Sorry it took so long to update, guys. I've been working my booty off so it's left me a little emotionally drained. I can't wait to read more Rian and Dylan, though!
xx
Haley

Image
Moody, moody Tyler...