Status: active

Clandestine

chapter two

I walked to my classroom and saw that a lecture has already begun. I hoped that I would silently sit in my regular seat but I realized otherwise. My teacher in Statistics had an obvious unpleasant morning and gave a different lecture in front of the whole class about tardiness when I sat down. Her tone about the subject was sarcastic. “When you know you have classes for the day, you know you are obliged to wake up early. Is that right, Cassie?”

Answering back was not in my nature because I knew this was not my fault. It was Quinn’s. It was his high-tempered personality and huge ego that had led me to this situation. There was nothing for me to do but leave this at that and deal with this problem later in the afternoon or night.

My teacher in Statistics, Mrs. Bernham continued with the previous discussion about probability. I enjoyed the topic despite her horrible high-pitched voice discussing it. However, the thought of Quinn had rested above my conscience and I could not stop but go back to what had happened before we went to school.

It has been so long since we had been siblings. The first half of our time together was spent on isolation and hostility towards each other. The second half grew into developing whatever kind of attraction we had. My memory could go back as far as we were eleven or twelve about seeing him for the first time.

As I look back and compare his physical appearance to today, I could pinpoint several differences. His warm sea-green eyes matured to deep moss green. His hair was of the same color –brown hair with blonde highlights but had only grown longer and thicker. His body was still lean and tall but had given him the appearance of an indifferent teenage boy which was true. I didn’t know what I liked about him, I didn’t think there was anything to like about him. But clearly there was something that made me attracted to him which goes far beyond his looks.

Classes were attended, homeworks were submitted and I was on my way to the car when someone pushed me.

“Holy shit, my bad love. Are you okay?” A guy with platinum blonde hair was looking straight at me with his right hand outstretched. I had eagerly grabbed his hand and with all my strength, pulled him down with me and his books fell down on him as well.

“Yes, I think I’m all better now.” I laughed and stood up on my own. Although I looked like a person who needed assistance all the time, I was determined not to let people underestimate my independence.

He laughed at my attempt to get back at him and stood up as well. As much as I enjoyed our little encounter, I made my way to the exit so as to not keep Quinn waiting. But as I was walking, the guy who had bumped into me called an exaggerated “Hey!”

I turned around and was once again face-to-face with this guy. “Is there something I can help you with?”

“No, I just wanted to apologize for what happened earlier.”

“Uh huh,” I said unconvinced. “I thought you already did.”

“I did?” He said dumbly. I had a feeling he was doing that to make me laugh but it didn’t, not when I knew that Quinn was impatiently waiting for me outside.

“Nice meeting you then. See you soon.”

“Okay, okay! Wait. I called for you again to know what your name was and possible if I can have your nu-“

“Cassie,” a different but familiar voice called from behind me.

I sighed and closed my eyes hoping that this wasn’t going to be an uncomfortable situation.

Quinn stopped by my side and looked at the person who I was talking to. His eyes were indifferent when he saw that it was someone of the opposite sex but I knew that it his feelings were closely related to irritation when he had wrapped a protective arm around my shoulder.

“Who you talking to, sis?” His voice was kind but beneath I knew each word was dripping with sarcasm.

“I don’t know, bro,” I replied with the same tone. I knew that he would always call me his sister when he got mad or drunk.

“Name’s Nick. I had the pleasure of meeting this wonderful lady here in the most weird way and I was just about to ask for her name.”

“Well, she’s taken.” He said as he pressed my body closer to his.

Nick looked at the both of us and tried to clarify. “Excuse me, but did you say you were siblings?”

“Yes, I did.” Quinn answered indirectly.

“Okay, Quinn and I have somewhere else we’re supposed to be. I’ll see you again tomorrow, Nick.”

I pulled Quinn away from Nick before he would say words that he would regret soon.

“I never got to get your name!” Nick called back as I was about to open the exit.

“It’s Cassie!”

We were already near the car when I turned to a different direction. I was not about to stay in the car with my sibling who had almost blown the secret we were having. Not only that but I was still annoyed at him for what had happened earlier morning. Being in the same place with him in an enclosed area would only cause a catastrophe.

“Where the hell are you going, Cassie?”

“Away from you, asshole.”

I ran away from him before he could pull me in the car. I ran as far as I could in the sea of students hoping he would not be able to recognize him. I knew I had to deal with him later at home but as of right now, I needed some space.

Because after all, I knew that I would be deprived of that when I would return in my room with him waiting for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
why hello dear readers, tell us what you think of the story so far