Status: Discontinued

There's No Such Thing as Too Young

Accidents Happen

*
It has been almost a month since Vic and Kellin met. During their reading sessions, they would be cuddled up in Kellin’s special corner on the beanbag chair. Kellin has fallen asleep on Vic a few times and, as his mom had said, his grip was hard to remove. Today was just another day that Ms. Wilson’s class would go to Mr. Oli’s class and read to the little kids. Both boys were excited because they liked being around each other; Kellin has yet to talk but he pinky promised Vic that today he’d try and no one can break a pinky promise.

“Hey Kells.” He heard Vic say as he sat next to him, blushing a bit at the nickname he had gotten after a week of being read to. “Guess what? My brother Mikey and his best friend Tony are in the class next to yours. They’re also in pre-k. Maybe you guys can be friends, do you have any friends?” Kellin looked around and pointed to Alan. “Austin’s reading buddy is your friend?” Kellin nodded, conforming Vic’s question. “Do you have a best friend?” Vic asked, hoping that he didn’t, the younger boy looked down and shook his head no very slowly. “’Do you wanna best friend?” Kellin nodded yes. “I’ll be your best friend,” Kellin looked up at Vic and smiled, hope filling his eyes. “If you say Vic. Say my name and I’ll be your best friend.” Kellin’s smile soon turned into a pout and looked at Vic. “Please Kells? Just one time and that’s it. It’ll make me very happy.” Vic said hopefully.

Kellin stretched his tiny neck and cupped his tiny hands around Vic’s ear. “Vic.” He whispered. When he pulled back, he looked at Vic, who had a big smile on his face, and smiled back.

“Now we’re best friends.” Kellin’s smile turned bigger and he hugged Vic around the neck. It was common for them to hug, sometimes Kellin even sat on his laps or in between his legs. Neither teacher mind, as they thought it was the cutest thing they ever witnessed. “Wanna sit on my laps?” Vic asked. Kellin hesitated but nodded anyways, loving how Vic let him get comfortable and also loving how his hair smelled like the strawberry shampoo he has at home. Once they were both comfortable, Vic began reading like always and Kellin sucking his left thumb and twirling a piece of hair with his right hand.

As Vic read to Kellin, the sound of rain against the window began. Kellin liked the rain, so he stood up and walked to the window; he was not tall enough to see so he got on his tippy-toes and his blue eyes were barely above the windowsill. He looked up at the darkening sky and saw the tears fall from the heavens. “You like the rain?” He heard Vic ask from behind him. He did not want to look away so he nodded in response. “Why do you like it? That means no recess.” Kellin knew exactly why he loved the rain; his parents would let him play out in it and sometimes both of them took him for walks to the park near his house where there was a pond and he would look at the water droplets hit the pond and be amazed as multiple ripples formed. He saw the sky light up and next thing he knew, there was a loud crash.

Kellin backed up from the window as his little body shook in fright. “What’s wrong Kells?” Kellin turned around and Vic saw the tears running down his face. “It’s ok Kells, it was only thunder.” However, that was not the problem, the younger boy looked down at his soiled pants and Vic followed his gaze. “Oh.” He said in realization. “You had an accident.” Kellin felt so ashamed of himself, he feared Vic was going to laugh at him for being a baby but Vic does the complete opposite. “It’s ok Kells. Accidents happen. Ima call Mr. Oli so he can help you ok?” all Kellin could do was nod as his head hung low and the tears came out silently. A few minutes later, Mr. Oli and Vic return towards Kellin.

“Kellin.” Mr. Oli says softly. “Vic said you had an accident?” he nodded slowly and cried a little more. “It’s ok. Come on and I’ll see if Ms. Wilson can take you to the clinic ok?” He held his hand out for Kellin and he took it hesitantly. “Vic you can sit here for a bit.” Vic did just that as he watched Mr. Oil ask Ms. Wilson if she could take Kellin and she gladly accepted. Then Vic got wondering why Mr. Oli talked quieter to Kellin then the rest of the class. Well there is only one way of knowing.

“Mr. Oli, why do you talk quieter to Kells then the rest of the class?” the teacher smiled at the cute nickname and the concern the seven year old displayed.

“Kellin has very sensitive ears, so any loud noise makes them upset.”

“What does sentitive mean?” Vic asked.

“It’s sensitive and it means something or someone can get hurt easily. So Kellin’s ears hurt easily with loud noises.” Mr. Oli explained. Just before Vic could say anything else, a pair of tiny arms wrap around his waist. He looked down and saw Kellin’s mop of hair while his face was pressed against his chest. Vic wrapped his arms around the younger boy and rubbed his back in a comforting manner.

“Why don’t we finish reading Kells?” Kellin nodded and let go of Vic as they walked to their normal spot but before he sat down, his tiny legs carried, him over to his cubby and he pulled out his blanket that had black and red squares. Almost like a checkerboard. He walked back to Vic and sat next him, pressing his body against the other boy and began sucking his thumb and twirling his hair. “Want me to cover you?” Vic asked kindly. Kellin nodded and smiled as the warm blanket hit his tiny body. “Can I cover myself with you?” Kellin stopped twirling his hair and picked the blanket up so his best friend could get comfortable. Once they were both situated in the confines of the warm blanket, Vic began reading. “My name is Sam …”
♠ ♠ ♠
So ? How's everyone's day ? ... No, ok ... I know I'm awkward :(