Status: Discontinued

There's No Such Thing as Too Young

The Green Monster

It was another day when Ms. Wilson’s first grade class went to read to Mr. Oli’s pre-k class but there was something different about today from any other day. Kellin was going to be late to school today and there was a new kid in Vic’s class, his name was Jaime and he moved from Mexico to San Diego. He knew English and he was very hyperactive active, Vic thought he was cool.

“Vic,” Ms. Wilson said as they lined up to go to the pre-k class. “Kellin is running late today so maybe you can tell Jaime what we do for the little kids.” Vic happily agreed, excited about hopefully making a new friend. “Thank you.”

Once they reached the class and began their usual routine, Alan noticed that Vic was with a new face. “Austin, who’s that?” the little ginger asked, a lisp barely present.

“That’s Jaime. He’s new and the Ms., wants Vic to show him what we do here and stuff.” Alan oh’d and listen to Austin read Green Eggs and Ham. About twenty minutes into the hour they had, a woman with dirty blonde hair and blue eyes came in with a little boy in her arms. It was clear to anyone this woman was Kellin’s mother.

“Ok baby. I have to go now. I’ll pick you up like always.” She said as she put Kellin down. He held out his pinky and she wrapped her thin finger around his small one. “Pinky promise.” She left and was saying bye to Mr. Oli and Ms. Wilson. Kellin scanned the room and his eyes landed on Vic but he was laughing, he followed Vic’s eyes and saw a new kid. No. No! NO! Vic was Kellin’s best friend, Vic was Kellin’s. Kellin marched over there and crossed his tiny arms across his chest.

“Oh hey Kells! This is Jaime, he’s new. Say hi.” All Kellin did was stick his tongue out at Jaime. “Kellin, that’s not nice.” His little blue eyes began to water as his lower lip quivered; Vic was mad at him now. “Say sorry.” Kellin turned on his heels, went to get his blanket, and walked over to his corner. Vic was being mean, in Kellin’s eyes. Alan, who had noticed all of this shook Austin a bit.

“I think Vic made Kellin cry. Can we go over so you can read to him?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’ll ask Vic later why he’s mad at him.” Austin said as he helped the small ginger to his feet. They walked over to him, Vic’s eyes on them, and stood there. “Kellin, can me and Alan read with you?” Kellin took the blanket off his face and nodded. He pat the spaces next to him and they sat with Alan on his right and Austin on his left. Alan wrapped and arm around Kellin and they laughed at the way Austin read with a ‘deep’ voice, Austin was always trying to make things funner. Kellin’s eyes wondered over towards Vic and when their eyes met, they’d just stare at each other. Vic waved once and Kellin looked away, blushing a little bit. Vic can’t wave to Kellin when he’s mad at him; that’s not how to say sorry.

“Why you sad Kellin?” Alan asked him.

“Vic.”

“What did Vic do?”

“Mine.”

“Vic is yours?” Austin asked.

“Vic. Mine.” Was all Kellin said.

“Ok Ms. Wilson’s class, time to go.” All the first graders got up, saying bye to their reading buddy and lined up. Vic looked at Kellin and waved bye, throwing a smile in. About thirty minutes later, the class was called to the gym for an awards assembly. Vic looked around for Kellin and couldn’t find him so he tugged on his teacher’s shirt.

“Where’s Kellin?” he asked.

“With his class.”

“Nuh uh. I looked and he’s not there.” Ms. Wilson smiled at the concern Vic had for Kellin.
“I’ll go ask Mr. Oli ok? So sit down and I’ll be back shortly.” Ms. Wilson went to talk to Mr. Oli and they both smiled as she mentioned Vic’s fondness over the little blonde boy. She returned two minutes later and pulled Vic to the side. “He said that Kellin stayed with the student teacher, Mr. Franceshi and that if you want to go it’s ok. So what do you want to do?”

“Can I go with Kellin?”

“Of course.” As they walked to the classroom 21, Vic couldn’t help but picture Kellin’s crying face when he was told to say sorry. Meanwhile, Kellin was sitting at his assigned table drawing a picture while Mr. Franceshi, preferably called Mr. Josh, sat at the desk smiling as Kellin’s mouth formed a tiny o and his eyebrows scrunched together in concentration. Curiosity got the best of Mr. Josh so he made his way over to Kellin to see what he drew.

“Who’s this?” he asked, pointing to a person with blonde and brown hair meant to be Kellin.

“Kellin.”

“That’s you?” The student teacher found it odd how he said his name instead of me but ignored it.
“And this?” he asked pointing to the next person who had long brown hair.

“Vic.”

“And this one?” he asked, pointing to the person who had long curls sticking from his head, Kellin stuck his tongue out and made a noise. “You don’t like him?” Kellin shook his head no. Mr. Josh then realized that the drawing that was supposed to be Kellin had tears coming out of his eyes. “Why are you crying?”

“Mine.”

“What’s yours?”

“Vic.” The four year old said, wiping falling tears as he remembered that his best friend was mad at him

“Oh. Someone has the little green monster in their shoulder.” Mr. Josh said with a small smile. Just then , there was a knock at the door but Kellin was too busy, he was surely concentrating on his artwork.

“Mr. Franceshi, this is Vic and I’m Ms. Wilson. Mr. Oli said that if it’s ok with you, Vic may keep Kellin company.”

“Of course he can, and please, call me Josh.” He said extending a hand out. “Kellin, you have a visitor.” He looked up from his coloring and turned to the door. There stood his best friend with his teacher. “Do you want Vic to stay with you?” As much as Kellin wanted to say no, he agreed, putting away his Crayola’s and getting his blanket, walking over to his corner. “Ms. Wilson, may I speak to you about Kellin’s drawing for a quick minute. It’s important.” Therefore, as Mr. Josh talked to Ms. Wilson about the picture and what he thought it meant, Vic walked over to Kellin and sat next to him.

“Hey Kells.” Vic said, only getting a hand wave. “Are you mad at me?” he asked worriedly. Kellin thought about it, was he mad at Vic? Or, was he mad at the new kid who made Vic be mean to him? He chose option two so he shook his head no. “Then why did you cry when I told you to say sorry to Jaime?”

“Mine.” Kellin said as he buried his face in the crook of Vic’s neck.

“What’s yours?” the seven year old asked as he got under the blanket with the four year old. “Tell me.”

“Vic.”

“Me? I’m yours?” Kellin nodded and began sucking on his thumb and twirling his hair. Vic wrapped an arm around Kellin and scooted close to him. “Of course I’m yours Kells. I’m your best friend.” The youngest held out his pinky and Vic wrapped his around it. “I pinky promise I’m yours Kellin. Forever and always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta-da ?