Between the Sword and the Wall

A Bride without a Groom

- Yes, I know. There’s actually something I had to tell you, I didn’t find the right moment to say it before but I have to do it now
- Okay son… we listen – Benedict sighed and armed himself with courage.
- God I don’t how to start… this is going to be hard, this kid Andrew Collins…he should be a Cumberbatch, he’s my son, I mean real son
- You’re his biological father – Timothy said breathless, her mother looked at him shocked.
- Yes, I figured it out last year, but it’s not her fault, I made a lot of mistakes when I was younger dad, terrible mistakes and this is such a messy story, but we finally worked things out and she’s amazing, he’s amazing, I love them so much – They stood quiet for a moment, Wanda couldn’t stop the tears from falling from her eyes – Mom please don’t cry
- Ben I don’t know what to do, one day I was concerned about you settling down and the next day, you have a fiancé and a son, do you realize that it’s our grandson? – Benedict calmed her down with his soft comforting voice, once the shock started to fade; Benedict gave all the details of the story.
- Do you feel ready to introduce him to you?
- The sooner the better – Said Wanda, she took a deep breath and Benedict hugged her and his father – You’re going to love him, trust me – He left the room to get his son– Andrew can you come her for a moment?
- Coming! – He left Alaina’s side and run to him, Alaina looked at him and knew that he already told them, she smiled as a sign of support which he answered also with a smile, although he was not totally relieved, he grabbed Andrew’s hand and guided him to the dining room.
- Son I think I haven’t introduced you properly, this grandmother Wanda and grandfather Tim… Mom, Dad, this is my dear son Andrew – Benedict’s parents stared at the little boy for a moment, it was like seeing his son when he was nine years old.
- Hi… - Andrew said with a shy smile, he felt observed and that scared him a bit, Wanda took a couple steps forward and hugged the kid with kindness.
- You look just like your father, it so nice to finally meet you – Benedict smiled relieved, just like he promised, his parents loved their new grandson.
- Alaina can we have a word with you? – She heard Wanda’s voice and her blood froze for a couple seconds.
- Yes… of course, but first of all I am so sorry we hid him from you
- We don’t need your excuses – Timothy said with a severe voice.
- I know but everything I did…
- Alaina please! – Wanda said coldly and Alaina swallowed all her words and explanations – Enough, this won’t bring the lost years back. I know what it feels to give birth when you’re twenty and I also know what it feels to find the right man, there’s no time for your or my son’s mistakes, as long as you make my son and grandson happy, you’ll be welcomed in this family – Wanda and Timothy hugged her as a sign of forgiveness, Alaina stood astonished for a couple seconds and then answered grateful of the new opportunity they gave her. That night she thought about all the problems she had and the problems she gave to Benedict for hiding Andrew for so long, she started to wonder if things would have worked if she had insisted in telling him when she was pregnant, maybe she would have married him years ago, or maybe he could have gave her money to stay quiet and his son would have grown up without a father, she realized that life can be so uncertain and scary that she blew those thoughts away and got closer to man she had sleeping next to her, grateful of what she had and how her life finally worked out well.

- We should start planning the wedding shouldn’t be? – It was late December and they hadn’t discussed a detail about the wedding.
- I guess that’s what engaged people do – Benedict sat by her side on the couch and put his arm around her shoulders – We have some time now
- I want it to be in May, I like that time of the year, I don’t care if it’s this or next year but I want it to be May
- Okay, I want to be married this year so it’s going to be this upcoming May
- Why the hurry?
- I don’t want to lose more time – He looked at her fiancé in a flirty way and approached her to kiss her, but she backed up.
- You want to get married before your forties – She smirked and Benedict rolled his eyes annoyed by being discovered in his real intentions – Come on baby, you’re just 38
- Just 38?
- You don’t represent that age, trust me
- But I am, I already lost enough time you know… I’m still looking forward to the possibility of raising a child, since the beginning, I want to see your belly grow up and the birth and the first steps…
- I know, I know trust it will happen
- Before I’m fifty?
- I won’t promise anything – She giggled – Now back to the present, I want a huge party
- I was actually thinking of a small one
- Invite everybody
- Just close people
- I want this wedding to be different, outstanding
- I rather like a traditional one
- There’s no need of a white dress, everybody knows I’m not pure
- Oh you’ll definitely use a white dress – They looked at each other and stood in silence, realizing they had so different opinions.
- This is going to take more time than May
- We will work things out – And so they did, while time passed they started choosing the chapel, the flowers, dinner, maid of honour and every single detail was ready by May 14th of 2015, the bride was impatiently waiting while other women did her make-up and hair and the groom looked over and over checking his silky suit making sure everything looked in order.
- Does my hair look all right? – He checked one more time his straighten back honey hair.
- Yes it looks perfectly well – Martin answered the same for the fifth time in the minute.
- It’s just that Alaina likes it more when it’s curled, but it doesn’t look so elegant if I leave my hair natural
- Hey can we stop this? Alaina is not going to say no just because your hair it’s not the way she like it – Benedict stayed quite swallowing all his concerns nervously – You know what, I’m going to get you a drink I’ll be right back, don’t do anything stupid – Martin joked to light a little bit the environment, Benedict chuckled grateful to have him as a best man.

- Okay Alaina ready to go? – Annalee asked knocking impatient the door.
- What’s taking you so long darling? – Amanda shouted.
- I’m coming! – Alaina opened the door revealing her in a beautiful white dress, with all the make-up and well done hair that made her look like a princess.
- Oh you look beautiful girl – Annalee couldn’t avoid letting some tears fell, the three of them took the last pictures and headed to the car, the way to the church was full of emotions, Alaina was breathless, she wanted everything to be perfect, she wanted to impress Benedict so much that he would never even doubt in leaving her, she wanted to impress all her guests.
- We are here, finally – Announced Amanda with a huge smile – Ready?
- Ready – Alaina released all the air inside her lungs and smiled, as soon as Amanda got out of the car Martin came running and whispered something to her that made her face expression change to horror.
- Stay in the car! – She demanded to Alaina
- What?! What’s going on?
- You can’t get out yet
- Why?
- Amanda darling what’s happening? – Annalee asked just as confused as the bride.
- Ok don’t freak out but… Benedict escaped, you can’t walk to the altar without the groom waiting for you
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to update a new two days ago but I decided to move to north of Chile and well you might know the big scandal that's happening down here. I had to evacuate the last two nights and I was able to come back after 1 am, not funny at all.
Also I want to explain that it wasn't that terrible, I was scared as hell but there was no fire or buildings down as I expected at least where I'm living now (Don't believe in all what the media says). Still, little town in Iquique and Arica with old houses suffered a lot so all my love and strenght to those families.

Have a great day and enjoy this long chapter (: