Status: Complete

Last Flight Home

5/7

"Rian, he called me adorable... adorable! Do you think he's straight? I mean, he called me adorable for crying out loud, what straight guy calls someone he just me adorable?"

Rian had long since tuned the boy out, instead focusing on the video game he was playing.

"Riaaaaaaan" the Alex whined, falling onto the couch next to the buzz cut boy and glaring at him. "You're so not listening to me right now! I can't believe you! I'll talk to Zack then" Alex huffed, and stalked over to the other couch where Zack was fiddling with his bass.

"If you came here to whine about Jack, then go away."

Alex gave up and collapsed on the couch next to Rian again.

After Rian completed a few more levels, he looked over to see Alex pouting.

"Hey, buddy. Don't stress it. If he's straight, then he's straight. How long has it been since you've had a boyfriend anyway?"

Alex couldn't remember.

"You need a good hook up, bro! Hey, maybe when we play a bar show in a couple weeks you can find someone!" Rian suggested, and Alex pondered that for a moment.

"Yeah... yeah that sounds good. I guess I can do that."

"Good, so it's settled. Now stop moping and pick up a controller. I wanna kick your ass - again!"

----

Alex crumpled up yet another piece of paper, running a hand through his hair in an effort to calm himself down. He has tries endless times to write a letter to Jack, two days worth of wasted paper and messy writing all ending up in the bin.

He checked the clock, seeing the red number show it was 11:52. He longed for the comfort of his bed, but Jack kept playing on the edge of his mind.

A groan escaped his mouth as he stretched, and placed the pen above the paper, waiting for words to spill out over the paper.

But they just wouldn't come.

"Dammit." The brunette grumbled, dropping his pen on the table and rubbing his eyes. His phone next to him vibrated, and he snatched it up, seeing he had a text from Rian.

Rian: Go to sleep, Alex.

Alex: How did you know I was awake?

Rian: You've been tired and wound up these past few days. What's wrong?

Alex sighed before typing out his excuse.

Alex: Can't write a letter to Jack

Rian: Just write what you want him to know

Alex: Will do. But tomorrow, I'm tired as balls

Rian: Ok bro :)

Alex sighed again, placing his phone down and looking at the paper. Suddenly, his mind seemed to go into autopilot, and he began scribbling down all the words that ran through his mind.

It was 12:24 by the time Alex's head hit the pillow.

----

"What's got you so excited?" Rian asked as he saw Alex at school the next morning.

"I wrote the letter, and I want to mail it after school." Alex said excitedly, hands gripping the straps of his bag as they made their way down the bustling corridor.

"I though you said you'd write it today?"

Alex shrugged.

The bell rang, and the two boys made their way to their first class, but, as usual, Alex's mind was preoccupied with the letter in his bag.

----

"I'd like to mail a letter to the American Soldier Unit in Syria?" Alex asked the old lady at the desk of the post office, and she looked up with a bored expression.

"For whom would I be sending it to?"

"Jack Barakat."

She typed the name into the computer next to her, and she frowned when she saw the results.

"It seems here the Mr Barakat was relieved of his duties early for family reasons. He should have arrived in Baltimore at 9 am, this morning."

Alex froze, his breath caught in his throat.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, dear. Now, if you have no more questions, please step aside. Thank you."

Alex walked out of the post office, in a completely different mood than when he arrived.

The brunette soon had his phone pushed against his ear as he waited to cross the road.

"Hello?"

"Rian! The lady at the post office said Jack returned back here to Baltimore at 9am this morning!" Alex half-yelled as he crossed the road, making his way to his neighborhood.

"Holy hell, do you know where he might be at all?"

It didn't occur to Alex that he had no idea where Jack lived.

"Shit." He breathed into the phone, and Rian chuckled.

"Chill dude, I'm sure you'll find each other sooner or later. Baltimore's not that big, right?"

Alex nodded, not aware that the very person he was talking about was waiting in line behind him at the post office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ughhhh. You have 100% permission to kill me for my slow update. Shitty chapter tbh.