Status: Complete

Last Flight Home

6/7

"Hey, Jack." His mum, Joyce, called as he stepped into the house. Since Jack just came back that morning, he decided to crash at his parents, since it was closer to the airport than his apartment that he shared with Matt and Vinny. Plus more homely.

Jack settled onto a stool at the kitchen counter, watching his mum pour two cups of coffee and sliding one over to him. With a muttered 'thanks' he took is gratefully, letting the bitter taste slip past his lips and down his throat.

"You know that guy I told you about? The one who sent me the letter?" Jack inquired, and his mum nodded. "Well... I saw him at the post office today. I didn't want to say anything to him, but I heard him ask the lady at the desk about sending me a letter."

"Jack, you could have met this guy! You silly boy, I bet that poor kid is worried that he might never meet you." Joyce scolded, and Jack hung his head.

"I know, I know. I've been meaning to ask, is the hairdressers open today?”

---

Jack walked out of the hairdressers at the mall, hands running through his now blonde and brown hair. He was pleased at how it turned out, and maybe, just maybe, Alex would like it too.

He walked into most of the shops, since he hadn't been to a normal mall in three years. He sighed, walking past a small coffee shop and seeing a bunch of flyers on a pin board.

Since Jack recently came back into town, he decided to see if there was anything half decent happening soon, and his eyes scanned the colourful papers.

Bake sale? Boring. Book club? Boring.

The skunk haired man had given up on the nearby Baltimore news before his eyes came across something more up his alley.

‘Bar Open Night, featuring local bands.’

The headline is what caught his eye, and after scanning everything else, he decided that yes, this is what he needed. A night out listening to good music while drinking booze.

He hastily copied down the details into his phone before setting off, smile on his face and blonde patch shining in the white light of the mall.

*Two weeks later*

Jack made his way through the crowd, beer in hand.

“Hey Baltimore, how you doing tonight?” A voice yelled out, and Jack smiled as the crowd cheered. “Next up is probably our favorite song to play live; it’s by Blink-182!”

The skunk-haired man looked up to see the band talking amongst themselves, and as the singer turned back around, Jack instantly thought he was familiar.

“Can anyone here play Dammit on guitar? Think of this is a sort of... audition into the band since our lead guitarist is leaving town,” The singer called out, and Jack watched his eyes scan the crowd.

It’s now or never, Jack.

He set his beer down, and made his way to the stage, pushing through the throng of people.

“I can play it.” He called out, and the singer froze, hand gripping the microphone.

“Jack?”

Realization hit Jack like a train.

“Alex?”

The brunette nodded, and Jack was pushed on stage, and he stared incredulously at the teenager.

Alex was the one to break the tension, wrapping his arms around Jack and hugging him,
tight. Jack quickly returned the gesture, arms around Alex’s middle.

“Holy shit, you’re here, I can’t believe it” Alex mumbled into Jack’s neck, and the taller smiled.

“Yeah, I wish I had recognized you sooner” Jack whispered, and he became aware that everyone’s eyes were on them, especially the bands’.

They separated, and Alex reached up to run a hand through Jack’s blonde patch where it stood into something of a Mohawk.

“I love your hair.”

Jack sighed, and Alex turned out to the crowd.

“Sorry for that, this is my uh, friend, and we haven’t met before. John, kindly pass Jack your guitar”

A strap went around the skunk-haired boy’s neck, and settled comfortably on his shoulders.

“Lead the way, Jacky,” Alex smiled, and he smiled back before starting out the riff for Dammit.

The entire night was spent playing good music, sweaty hair falling into eyes and sore fingers from playing so much.

Jack wouldn't have it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took me ages to write, oh man, writers block is a bitch.