Status: I'm back and re editing and adding and changing things 6/02/2022

Love Is Deaf, Not Blind

Chapter Eleven

Image
I follow the nurse down the hallway with Andrew at my side. I’m so glad that my mom and brother weren’t allowed to come. But I was curious why Andrew was.

‘Your family didn’t up set you did they?’

“No…I…was…not…listening.” I smile at him but it’s not genuine and by the look on his face he can tell.

‘Don’t let them get to you. They just scared themselves.’

“Sure…You…can…go…home…if…you…like?” I hoped that he would say no but I also felt guilty for making him stay.

‘I’m not going anywhere until you order me gone.’ He wraps an arm around my shoulder to show his point.

We wait around in my hospital room for a couple of hours. I tutored him in his signs as best as I could with one hand. He told me about how he’d ran away from his alcoholic mother when he was younger, How his little brother had died when there were kids because she was too drunk to care him properly.

‘He was 7 when he caught Meningitis, I was only 2 years older. I didn’t know how seriously sick he was until it was too late. Our mom was passed out on her bedroom floor when he became really sick. I couldn’t wake her. I wasn’t sure what to do. I finally called 911 but he was dead by the next day.’ I could see the tears in his eyes.

“Is…that…why…you…became…interpreter?” I ask since one of the long term problems with having caught Meningitis is Hearing loss.

‘One of the reason. I also just wanted to be able to help people.’

“I’m…sorry…I….yelled…at…you.” I apologise for how I treated him at school. “I…did…not…want…to…be…that…werid…deaf…girl…with…the…interpreter.”

‘But you are the weird deaf girl with the interpreter. I can see the light playful look on his face. ‘Weird in a wonderful way.’

“But…not…everyone…think…so?”

‘Well then they’re blind. You Jocelyn are amazing and I’m glad to be assigned to you.’

‘Thank you’

‘Nice to see you signing again. I was beginning to think I’d be the only one.’ I see him laugh and wish for one of the rare time that I could hear.

My only response was to stick my tongue out at him. He laughs again as the door opens and in walks my mother and brother. I feel the smile just fall from my face and the walls go up. I wonder why it was so easy to talk to Andrew and not my brother?

“Jocelyn, I spoke to your doctor. He’d like to get you ready for you procedure.” I read my mom’s lips.

“Okay.” I shrug and look towards Jace.

‘You didn’t tell anyone about me helping Sammi?’ But I continue to ignore him. He continues to ask the same questions. I watch his face grow anger and anger.

My Mom waves a hand in front of my face. “Don’t ignore me-“

I don’t bother lip reading. “Than…learn…to…talk…to…me…my…way. Sign.”

The look she gives me is cold and nothing like her normally calm self.

My mom looks towards Andrew and my gazes follows to catch the last of what he was saying. “-leave her be. She’s nervous about the surgery.”

“That’s no excuse for her rudeness!” I can tell she’s yelling for her body language and the spit flying out of her mouth.

“I think it would be best to say you goodbyes and wishes of luck now.” Andrew body stance is solid and he stands up to my mom.

“You have no right telling me what to do when it comes to my daughter!”

The door pushes open fully and the same middle age salt and peppered haired Doctor from before enters. “But I do. She’s my patient and I won’t have you yelling at her.”

I turn looking for Andrew and see him and Jace arguing in sign.

‘You stay away from her!’ Jace signs aggressively.

‘I’m not going too. I’m the only one here that is actually listening to what she’s saying.’ Andrew signs are his normal sloppy tone.

‘That’s because she’s not talking!’

‘Too you. Do you even know why?’

‘WHAT HAS SHE TOLD YOU! I take a step between Andrew and Jace. I didn’t like how aggressive his actions were.

“Leave…Jace…do…not…want…you…here.”

“FINE!” I watch him leave slamming the door behind him, the blinds shake from the force.
Mom looks towards me, “I’ll see you when you get out.” She doesn’t offer me good luck or a hug before she follows Jace out the door.

***

I wake up confused and still groggy but manage to open my eyes. I struggle to sit up and notice my hand is bandaged. I then remember that I’d just had it set. I look around, the plain white and pale blue room. Andrew is asleep in the seat next to me but my family is not where to be seen.

I feel like crying. Why did I yell at them? Sure my mom didn’t sign, sure my brother lied to me…was hiding something. I didn’t need to make them hate me anymore than they already did.

‘Dose you finger hurt? I can get a nurse?’ Andrew is suddenly hovering over me. I shake my head.

“I…fine.”

‘Then why are you crying.’ He leads over and wipes his thumb across my cheek.

“My…family…hate…me.”

‘No they just a little anger by the situation. No one hates you.

I tried to believe his words but I wasn’t sure that I could.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.

I post more than one picture at a time so please try to remember the last chapter you read.