‹ Prequel: Remedy

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi

Stay

"Come on baby, just come come out. I promise I'll make uncle Jordie wear a mask when he's around you." Callie spoke softly, hands on her stomach, and rolled her eyes when Kelly and Jordie walked in.

"I heard that you know." Jordie told her, sitting down on the end of the bed as Kelly practically jumped onto it beside Callie.

"What? That thing on your face is scaring my baby. That's exactly why it won't come out." Callie said, narrowing her eyes slightly at Kelly as she laughed.

"That's what you're going with today? Yesterday it was Jamie was hovering and it was making baby Benn hide."

"Well when you're pregnant and the fucking gremlin won't come out you can make up whatever you want as to why." Callie told her, making Kelly shrug.

"Speaking of, when exactly do you get induced?" Jordie asked, laying down across the foot of the bed.

"Tomorrow morning at 7." Callie grumbled, crossing her arms as best she could over her chest. It had been ten says since the embarrassing false labor thing and Callie was sick of bed rest, she was sick of staring at the four walls in their room, she was sick of Jamie's constant hovering and she was definitely sick of being pregnant.

"Are you packed? Because Jamie said you weren't." Kelly told her, eyebrow raised and waiting for a response.

Callie grumbled again and stared at her feet, "no. Jamie refuses to get the bag out of the closet because 'you should have done it earlier Callie' and I can't reach it."

Jordie burst into laughter as Kelly shook her head, an amused smile on her face. Callie rolled her eyes at both of them and stretched her leg just enough to gently tap Jordie with her foot. He let out a dramatic sigh and got up, disappearing into the closet before coking back with the duffle bag Callie was talking about. She smiled as he set it in the middle of the bed before taking his spot on the end of the bed.

Jamie walked in, stopped, stared at them on the bed before he glanced around the room, as if to make sure he entered the right room. Callie let out a chuckle, and grabbed his hand, yanking him onto the bed beside her.

"Aw look, the whole family together." Callie exclaimed, making them laugh.

Jamie raised his eyebrow and motioned to the bag, "you finally decided you should pack? You're pretty lucky you didn't go into labor before with no bag ready."

"You know what? Kara's psychic and she told me I wasn't going to go into labor before Wednesday." Callie told him, before adding, "and if you wanted to be really nice you could pack for me since getting up and moving around is a whole lot of effort I don't feel like putting myself through."

Jamie got up and said, "okay so…sweat pants, baggy tshirts, my Kelowna hoodie, fuzzy socks and extra elastics? How'd I do?"

Callie couldn't help but smile and said, "excellent. Minus the part where you forgot the baby's clothes…"

Jordie had a good laugh at his brothers expense as Jamie sighed and walked down the hall. While he was gone Kelly said, "it's a good thing he's cute."

When Jamie walked back into the bedroom holding a white onsie and a pair of baby socks Callie told him, "wrong outfit."

"You really care what this kid comes home in?" Jamie asked, making Callie nod.

"Yes. The correct and planned outfit is the one folded neatly at the end of the dresser." Callie told him, pointing at what she was talking about. Two days previously she had picked out a dark green onsie with 'assistant captain' on the front, paired with white socks.

"You let me go all the way to the nursery to get clothes knowing the right ones were in our bedroom?" Jamie asked as he grabbed the set she picked out and put them in the bag without so much as looking at them.

"Yes. I like looking at your butt." Callie said with a smirk. Jamie's face flushed as Kelly and Jordie both made gagging noises. Callie smiled and after a few seconds of silence she declared, "by this time tomorrow I am going to be one hundred percent done with the world, so I declare tonight a taco night. Anyone with objections gets to find a cardboard box and call it home until I feel like letting you back in."

"Queen Callie has spoken. Her humble servants are up to the taco task." Kelly said, jumping off the bed and going downstairs to start dinner.

Callie simply looked at Jordie, "she's your girlfriend."

Jordie sighed dramatically before joking, "but you're the one who brought her into this family."

"I never said you two had to start hooking up." Callie told him with a pointed look at made him roll his eyes. Jamie dropped onto the bed beside Callie and shot his brother a look.

Jordie got up and said, "I'm gonna go help Kelly. She gets a little too excited for tacos sometimes."

"Was that necessary? I was actually for once kind of enjoying his company." Callie told him, leaning against him. Jamie didn't say anything in response so they sat in silence for several minutes.

"I decided that I wanted to spend some time just us." Jamie said, placing his hand on her stomach before adding, "or at least as alone as we can get."

- - - -

Jamie sat up, reaching over he turned the light on the nightstand on and glanced around. It 4:30 in the morning and the spot beside him was empty. He rubbed his eyes and got up, pulling on a pair of sweat pants before venturing out into the hallway. He glanced down the stairs, not a single light was on, so he glanced to his left down the hall and saw the light in the nursery was on.

He made his way down the hall and pushed the door open, Callie was sitting on the floor folding baby clothes with her back to him. He heard her sniffle and watched as she reached up to wipe her face. Jamie made his way into the room and sat down next to Callie, scaring her and making her jump slightly.

"What's going on?" He asked, watching as her hands shook as she folded another onsie.

"Nothing. Just couldn't sleep." She told him, placing the folded onsie in the pile of stuff to put away again.

Jamie held back his sigh and instead just told her, "Callie I've known you for eleven years, I know when something is going on. You can talk to me."

She however did sigh and she reached up to wipe at her cheeks again before saying, "we are so not ready for this."

"We're gonna be okay. Courtney gets here Friday. Stop worrying, everything is gonna be okay." Jamie told her, reaching forward he put his hands on top of hers and kept her from fidgeting.

"What if I'm bad at this? Being a mom." Callie asked, looking at their hands rather than looking at him. Jamie let out a breath of air but Callie continued, "what if I'm really bad at this? Like what if I never figure out the different cries or what to do? What if I screw this kid up?"

"Callie, I've seen you with your sisters kids, you're gonna be a great mom." Jamie told her, reaching up to wipe her tears for her.

"But what if I'm not? This baby is coming whether we're ready or not Jamie." Callie said, taking his hand in hers before adding, "I'm so scared I'm not gonna know what to do. I feel like we aren't ready, that nothings gonna be ready."

"What parent is ready when it comes down to it? Callie, we are going to be fine. I know you're worried, and I wish I could do something to help, but we're gonna be fine." Jamie told her, moving just enough to put his legs on either side of her and wrap his arms around her, her back to his chest and his chin on her shoulder.

"This is supposed to be stuff you talk to your mom about, but oh right, I don't have one of those." She muttered, pushing her hand through her hair. Jamie didn't say anything, he was at a slight loss for what to say. Callie took a breathe of air and put her head in her hands before she said, "I'm just so overwhelmed."

"Can I make a request?" Jamie asked, making Callie look up and turn toward him. When she nodded her head he stood up and held his hands out for her, pulling her up to her feet. Wordlessly he lead her back to the bedroom and waited until they were both sitting side by side in bed before he said to her, "try and get some sleep, might be a while before either of us get any."

Callie smiled gently and ran her fingers under her eyes before she said, "okay. You're right, I'm freaking out for nothing. Everything's gonna be fine."

"See, there's the Callie I know." Jamie told her as they both settled back into bed, he reached over and turned the light off before he told her, "in a few more hours we are gonna be parents."

"So not helping."
♠ ♠ ♠
:):):)