‹ Prequel: Remedy

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi

Somewhere Tonight

Callie groaned and rolled over onto her stomach as the baby monitor shrieked with noise. She pushed her face into the pillow and waited, hoping it would stop. When it didn't she grumbled and sat up in bed, the side beside her was empty and untouched, it made her sigh.

She was pushing her hair out of her face when she heard Jamie through the baby monitor, "what's with all the noise huh?"

The moment Jaron stopped crying she heard Jamie again, "oh you just wanted attention. That's my boy."

Finally she turned the monitor off and got up, made her way into the bathroom. After she went through her morning routine she quietly made her way down the hall toward the nursery. She stood in the doorway and smiled gently as Jamie looked up at her. He was sitting in the oversized chair by the crib, Jaron tucked in his arms. Callie made her way over to them, sitting on the arm of the chair, she placed her hand on his back, rubbing gently.

"He looks so much like you." Callie said, making him smile gently. It was true, aside from her olive skin tone he was all Jamie. Same dark hair, lighter eyes, even the same nose.

"He'll have lots of girlfriends then." Jamie said, making Callie swat his shoulder lightly.

"Yeah and not one of them will be good enough for him."

Jamie smiled, not taking his eyes off his son as he said, "spoken like a true mom."

Callie smiled, resting her head against Jamie's, both of them simply stared at Jaron as he fell asleep in Jamie's arms. Jamie finally pulled his eyes away and looked at Callie, she didn't turn to look at him, she kept her eyes on Jaron. It was a long time before she said, "see, I don't know why we would mess with perfection, I think one is enough."

"You really don't want more?" Callie could tell he was disappointed.

"Its just… this time around wasn't exactly the best experience, I'm just not sure I want to do it all over again. At least not for a few years. Is that okay?" Callie asked, turning her attention to Jamie this time.

"Yeah, I think I can handle a few years with this guy before we add another one." Jamie told her, looking back down at Jaron who was awake and staring at him before he said, "I can't wait to teach him how to skate."

"I can." Callie said with a laugh.

"Oh so you're gonna be one of those mom's are you?"

"You just wait. You're gonna be a wreck the first time he gets hurt." Callie told him, making him nod in agreement.

Jamie looked back down at Jaron and asked, "what you think bud, you gonna play hockey? Yeah, you're gonna captain the best team in the league."

"Captain of team USA." Callie said with and smirk.

"We'll get that fixed don't worry." Jamie reassured with a nod, before they fell into silence once again. Callie moved her hand from his back to his shoulder again, and she looked down at Jaron as Jamie asked, "you feeling any better?"

"Kind of. Thank you, you know, for being home to help out so much." Callie told him, making him smile and nod.

"After what you went through, I think the least I could do was let you get as much sleep as possible." Jamie said. He hadn't gone out much in the past week and a half since Jaron was born, he went to and from the rink with no stops in between, the only time he left the house besides hockey was to get groceries. Callie wasn't sure she would be in the mental state she was in now if he hadn't done what he had been doing.

They were interrupted by the sound of the door opening and closing, voices floated up the stairs. Callie turned and raised her eyebrow, Jamie shrugged. He put Jaron back into his crib before they made a stop in the bedroom for the monitor and then made their way into the kitchen where Kelly, Jordie and Tyler were sitting. Callie grumbled about never ending house guests, making Jordie and Kelly laugh.

Jordie turned to Tyler and said, "never take her seriously when she makes those comments, she loves when we come over."

"I may enjoy the occasional teammate over, what I don't enjoy however is having to see your face every day even after we moved 20 minutes away from you."

Jordie smirked, "hey, you're marrying my brother, I'm the no option house pest that comes with that."

Callie muttered to herself and walked around him to the cupboard full of tea. She pulled a mug and a tea bag down before reaching for the kettle. As she winced Jamie grabbed it from the top shelf, barely even having to reach before he told her, "you know what the doctor said."

Callie rolled her eyes as he filled the kettle with water and muttered, "I know what the doctor said."

"Speaking of, how are you feeling today? Any better than yesterday?" Kelly asked, she had felt bad after seeing Callie spend most of the day in bed, not healing from the surgery as fast as they thought she would.

Callie shrugged, "like I just had a tiny human ripped out of my body."

"Well you barely look like you did."

"Hah. I have the scar to prove it." Callie told Kelly, rolling her eyes as Jordie grimaced.

"Yeah that things pretty gnarly." Jordie told her, making her narrow her eyes.

"Do you have a death wish? Because I swear it's like you want me to impale you with sharp objects." Callie asked, making everyone laugh.

Kelly smirked and told her, "well at least next time will seem a lot easier."

Callie let out a short laugh, "what is it with everyone and more babies? Seriously, we achieved perfection on the first go, no need to try and mess that up."

"So…no more baby Benn's?" Kelly asked, almost laughing as Callie groaned.

"I am not having this conversation." Callie stated before turning to Tyler and asking, "so… you know you can come over whenever right?"

"Uh…sure."

She almost laughed at how confused he, and everyone else seemed, and explained, "I just wanted to make sure you knew that. I mean I know I grumble about Jordie a lot but he's my brother in law, it's different. I just hate to think you're over in your apartment ordering in, so if you ever want someone to cook for you, please by all means."

"You're such a mom." Jordie told her, making Jamie laugh.

"Actually no, I just like visitors that 1) aren't you and 2) don't spit up on me." Callie told him, making Jamie chuckle. She turned toward him, eyes narrowed and told him, "don't laugh, one day you will experience baby puke all over you."

"Nah see he likes me too much to puke on me." Jamie joked, making Callie roll her eyes. When they both sat down at the table he asked her, "what time does Courtney's flight get here?"

Callie shrugged and pulled out her phone, checking before she told him, "nine, so I'm gonna pick her up after I drop you guys off."

Jamie made a face and Kelly told him quickly, "would you relax? We all know Callie has an exemplary driving record. She will be fine."

Jordie let out a laugh and Callie was quick to walk past him and 'accidentally' smack her hand into the back of his head before left the kitchen, not wanting to be apart of the conversation she knew was going to happen. She went straight into the nursery, grabbing a pair of socks she put them on his feet and stood at the crib watching him. It was the oddest thing, despite all she went through there were times where she really couldn't believe he was hers. When her phone beeped from her pocket she sighed and wrapped Jaron up in a blanket before she grabbed the diaper bag and made her way downstairs.

Jamie nearly had to be pulled away from them and onto the bus but eventually he left, reluctantly, and Callie found herself waiting in her car outside the airport. Courtney had very clearly instructed her not to bother coming in, and she had learned by now not to argue with her sister. When she spotted Courtney, sporting a much lighter brown head than she was used to, she waved. Courtney got in the passenger seat, leaned over to hug Callie and said, "hurry up and get me home so I can snuggle my new nephew."

Callie laughed and as she was pulling back into traffic she told her sister, "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too. You know I would have come out sooner if you had called me right?" Courtney asked curiously, looking over at her sister.

"I know, which is exactly why I didn't call. It was hectic enough and I knew you would have went into big sister mode." Callie told her, making her laugh.

Courtney defended herself by saying, "well you are my baby sister and that's my baby nephew over there… oh my god I can't believe my baby sister has a baby."

"Yeah…where ya been?" Callie asked, making Courtney laugh.

"Shut up Cal, I just can't believe it. It's so weird to think about, that you and Jamie have a baby now." Courtney told her, making Callie smile and nod.

Once they were inside the house and settled into the living room, Jaron tucked into Courtney's arms, Callie smiled and asked, "Jamie and I sure do make a cute kid huh?"

"The cutest. He's a little mini Jamie." Courtney told her, making Callie grumble.

Courtney laughed as Callie said, "don't remind me. So not fair. I hear somewhere that they say the baby looks like the dad at first to make the father feel better."

"That's the spirit. I can't wait to see Jamie with him." Courtney stated, making Callie smile as he ran her finger down Jarons stomach.

"He's amazing with him. I think he surprised himself with how good he is with him. He thought he was gonna struggle but I think it comes more natural and easier to Jamie than it does to me." Callie told her, making Courtney smile.

Courtney glanced down at Callie's hand for only a second before she asked curiously, "have you two decided what you're doing...about the wedding?"

Callie was silent for a few seconds, she didn't know what to say. She hadn't been able to think about it much over the last few weeks and she was sure Jamie hadn't either. So she told her sister, "We're both content with where we are right now. We're gonna get through this hurtle before we jump to the next one you know? What's the rush? We know how we feel, it'll happen eventually."

"I support you no matter what Cal, you know that, but you know she would want you to go on with your life, Cora would come down here now and murder you if she could for even thinking of postponing because of her." Courtney said, taking Callie's hand and giving it a squeeze.

Callie grinned and said, "She would be the one to learn how to Patrick Swayze her way around the other side."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ghost reference haii
comments would be awesome
updating Tyler next :)