Resist Him

Work

Tonight has dragged in and the bar has been the busiest I've ever seen it. I want to go to bed, I want to sleep and wake up late afternoon. Two hours to go and I'll be out of here.

"So how is Gregg getting on? Is he a star yet?" Adrianna asks; Adrianna is my work colleague and my best friend. We've known each other for 10 years, we are both 27 years old, we work together, we went to college together, we've been through a lot. Gregg is my on and off boyfriend. We used to fight a lot, we argued about stupid things and it always got too much that we'd split, a lot. We've been ok recently though, I hope. He is a struggling actor, has been since I met him 6 years ago.

"Nope, not yet." I say, putting ice into a glass for table six.

I work in a restaurant called Bella Laurent. I serve food and drinks, mainly drinks, to stuck up snobby rich people. It's a very popular restaurant, I've seen a couple of famous faces in here. Adrianna and I plus the rest of the staff wear a black pencil skirt with a white shirt and high heels. I'm an expert at walking in high heels thanks to this job. The male staff wear a black suit. When I'm not working here most nights, I do hairdressing and make up. Mostly for weddings, sometimes I work at a cosmetics counter, other times I'm lucky enough to get experience in photo shoots. Gregg always says that when he makes it, I will be his personal male up artist. He wishes.

"Shame. I would love to be the girlfriend of a famous actor!" Adrianna leans off the bar, staring into space imagining what her life would be like. "I mean, all that money,my he parties, the sex!"

"The sex?" I ask.

"Yeah, hell, I wouldn't just stick with the one guy... I would mingle."

"Cheater!"I laugh as I make fun of Adrianna. "You can't just have a rich boyfriend and then go cheat."

I put the glass of cola on the tray and carefully lift the tray, walking past Adrianna to the main restaurant. Table six has 3 customers who are regulars here. They are probably the nicest that ever eat here.

"There you go, anything else?"

"No, Thanks Violet." I nod and walk back to the bar.

"I totally could!" She continues. "It would be easy enough."

"You've never cheated in your life. What about all the paparazzi?"

Adrianna looks at me in confusion.

"Oh.. Good point."

I laugh. She is taking it so seriously. Gregg then walks in with a red face and messy hair.

"What is the matter with you?" I ask.

"Don't ask. Can I have a beer?"

I nod and grab a pint glass. As I pour the beer, I wonder what is troubling Gregg.

"So I'm going to ask anyway. What's up? I'm a barmaid, aren't you supposed to spill your feelings out on the table?" I say smiling. Gregg sighs.

"I had an audition but I blew it. It's for this great great great movie!" He seems keen.

"Is it great Gregg, like, really great??" Adrianna mocks. I can tell Gregg is in no mood. He rolls his eyes and looks back at me.

"Divergent. You read the books?" He asks. My eyes go wide.

"Divergent? They are making a film from the series?"

Gregg nods.

"Yeah. I totally messed up the audition... I auditioned for the main character Tobias. I'm not 'manly' enough apparently. Pathetic.."

I don't say anything but I know what he means. The main character is strong, a fighter, handsome, kind... Nothing like Gregg. Gregg has never fought a day in his life. I do love him, but I don't think he's very handsome or strong; at least not for this part.

"Oh I'm sorry." I'm say, and pass him his pint. His auburn hair is a mess. When he's stressed he runs his hands through his hair harshly as if he's trying to tear it out his scalp.