The Lullaby Singer

Introduction

A growl escapes my lips as I read through yet another email; a rejection for yet another daycare I applied for. I toss my phone on the table, just as my mother sits down; putting a mug of hot chocolate in front of me.

“I honestly don’t know why people aren’t hiring you, you’re great with kids.” I sigh at my mom’s words. I know she means well but I still feel crappy.

“It’s been a year,” my fingers run through my artificial red hair, “I thought I would be through working at Dad’s bar and working at a steady job with a steady pay. Student loans are piling up and I’m no where near close to working for a daycare or anything.”

“It’s going to take time, baby, don’t give up.” My mother smiles, “you’re going to get that dream job sooner or later…”

**

“Still nothing on the job front?” My co-worker Jessie asks as I get ready for my shift.

“Nothing, they’re all rejections.” I sigh, “how the hell am I suppose to get experience if people won’t hire me?”

“Cherry, I think I know how you can get that experience.” Jessie informs me, “my friend’s looking for a live-in nanny for his little girl. It’s going to start out for only a couple months, just until his band gets their cd finished, but if things work out he’s willing to hire the person full time.”

“So it’s only a temporary kind of thing?”

“Yea but it’ll get you away from bartending all the time plus it’ll give you that experience you need.”

She’s right, god I hate when she’s right.

“When’s the interview?” I ask, hoping it’s not too soon. I’ll need to prepare for it.

“Tomorrow night at noon.” Jessie smiles, earning a groan from me.

“Nothing like snort notice.”

“You’ll be fine,” she reassures me, “kids love you…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Cherokee; lunch with mom
Cherokee; bar

I'm so out of touch with writing band fanfiction, it's insane. Next chapter will be in Matt's POV