The Lullaby Singer

For Whom the Bells Toll

Matt Sanders

An annoyed sigh escapes my lips as yet another nanny walks out of the house; unsuccessful on getting the job. It’s not like they were bad and unqualified, because they were. They just seemed too nice, too soft to be able to handle me and my daughter, Maddie as well as handling my friends and bandmates. They just didn’t fit.

“You know, you’re gonna have to find a nanny sooner or later.” Brian says, walking into the room with Zacky right behind him. “You can’t keep pawning her off with Jessie or your mother.”

“I can’t find a babysitter I know for sure that won’t scream sexual harassment every time you wink at her,” I point out. “All these nannies were too soft and prissy for us.”

“You’re looking for a nanny for Maddie, not your next wife.” Zack points out, laughing. “You’re gonna have to give a little.”

“I don’t want to settle just for anyone, though.” I sigh, “she’s going to probably be a big part of Maddie’s life and it can’t just be anyone. I’ll never hear the end of it from Val.”

Before either Brian or Zack could answer, there is a knock at the door quickly followed by the fast sound of a five year old’s feet against the hardwood flooring. “Daddy a new nanny is here!” She exclaims as she runs to the door. I just laugh as I walk over to open the door; revealing a girl I wouldn’t have expected.

She’s wearing all black; black leather jacket, black jeans and a black Guns N Roses tank top. Her bright red hair is pulled up in a bun and her eyes are covered by aviators. She’s by no means anything like the girls previously knocking on my door.

“Is it too late for the interviews for nanny?” She asks, taking off her sunglasses revealing kind gray eyes. “I’m Cherokee Danvers, Jessie sent me.”

“You’re Jessie’s friend?” I question her, “you don’t seem the type to want to be a live in nanny.”

“And why is that?”

“You’re not dressed in a girly dress and wearing flats,” I point out. “Can you chase after a five year old girl in heeled boots?” I ask, pointing her her black boots. She just smirks,

“I can chase after a five year old girl in 10 inch stiletto heels.” She laughs, “and if wearing girly clothing is a requirement, I should just walk away then. Because I don’t do frilly girly dresses and the only flat shoes I own are my two pairs of flip flops and various boots. I’m may not look like a nanny but I’m qualified. I’ve got a degree in childhood development and another useless psychology degree. I need this job to get away from being a bartender and to start my career.”

“You bartend?” I ask.

“I need to pay off the student loans somehow.”

“So you’re used to having guy hit on you and are used to crazy out of control person?”

“Yea, I guess.” She replies, “is that a requirement? The crazy person one, I mean?”

“You don’t know who I am?” I ask, kind of shocked.

“Should I?” She questions me, “are you famous or something?”

“Or something.” I laugh, “how about you come inside so we can talk further. I’m sure Maddie here would love to get to know her potential new nanny.” She smiles as she walks past me and into the house. I look down at Maddie, “what do you think Kiddo?”

“I approve…” Maddie giggles before running after the redhead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cherokee

comment&subscribe?