Status: finished!!

She Ain't You

my kind of retail therapy

I pulled a pair of ripped skinny jeans on, white chucks and grabbed my jacket. I was off to meet the team at the team dinner, something that happened almost before any game and was held at the arena. I started the grey mini cooper and set my way down the busy streets of Pittsburgh, hoping not to fall victim to traffic. While at a stop light, I connected my phone to my car and turned on shuffle.

Ghost by Hasley popped up first, a song that I would probably put on repeat until I got sick of it. I sang the lyrics, gripping the steering wheel anxiously. I'm a very nervous driver, I mean one wrong move and you can kill someone. The pressure that my drivers ed teacher put on me has scared me for life and trust me, I'm not a good back seat driver either.

I arrived at the Consol Energy Centre around five o'clock, I grabbed my purse and strolled in the arena. I greeted the many workers there that I have regularly been able to see, I swear I've been in a million arenas throughout my life time, with my brother being a Hockey and Lacrosse player, then now Geno but the Consol Energy is the only arena I know everything about.

I walked down to the teams quarters, hearing the familiar shouts and conversations from the team. I liked being at the team dinner, I didn't go to everyone but the players are occasionally allowed to invite guests. I walked in the diner area, the smell of fresh food and a variety of colognes intoxicated the air I was supposed to breathe, causing me to choke.

“Holy shit, you all need to coordinate after shaves” I commented walking into the room, I heard the many greetings from players and their familiar guests.

I make my way over to Geno, clad in under armour and a Pittsburgh Penguins hat. The under armour pants accentuates his ass nicely and I can't help but admire it as I approach him. He was currently talking to Neal while serving himself some pasta. Carbs, good before a game and sex. James nodded his head towards me, signally Geno of my arrival.

“Hiya boys” I cheerfully squeak, putting somewhat of a fake smile on my face because partly Geno makes me smile and the other part, he makes me very depressed.

“Hi beautiful” Geno says, leaning down and kissing my cheek. That's an improvement. “Want me to get food?”
“No, I'll do it” I answer and grab a plate. “Thanks though”

Geno just smiles at me, then continues to load his plate with food and I follow suit. There was pizza for guests, something I couldn't resist so I grab two slices and a piece of bread. I waited for Geno to finish before he lead me over to the table he'd be sitting at. Along side him were Sid, Autumn, Keirstyn, Beau and a girl I didn't recognize. I smiled at them, they all look at me briefly and then went back to their conversations. Weird.

“I hope I'm not teasing you with the Pizza” Oh my goodness, I just started my conversation like some girl of her first date.

“Nah, use to it” He says and stabs his pasta with his fork. He doesn't look at me for long, his eyes shifting from the ground to his dinner.

“What's up?” I ask, and he shrugs. “Okay then”

I sat there nibbling on my meal, I felt like I was sitting alone at a lunch table back in High School like the loser I was. But I decided not to be such a loser and smile at the girl that seemed a bit lost.

“Are you any of the guys girlfriends?” I asked, and she smiled briefly before glancing at Geno.

“More or less” She answers, a smile on her face.

She was unbelievably beautiful, she was thin with wavy light brown hair and beautiful hazel eyes. Her smile was bright and her glasses sit upon the bridge of her nose. Just like mine do. I notice in her hands is a small book that I recognize immediately.

“The Duff?” I ask and she smiles. “I can't even count how many times I've read that book”

“It's amazing!” She exclaimed and I nod.

“It relates to me alot, it did in High School and it does now” I explain, the book about a girl who is labelled as the less attractive one of her friends begins to hook up with the popular boy at school. Oh the Irony.

“I'm Angela”

“Victoria” I answer and hold out my hand to shake hers. “Which one of these guys do you have dibs on??”

She smiles again and looks to Geno once more before I realize the trend, then stop to analyze the situation. Friends who are refusing to have anything to do with me, best friend who is nervous and girl who won't tell me who she's with but looks towards Geno a lot.

“This girl I met” Geno pipes up, ending the investigation for me and I look over her one more time. She's gorgeous.

“Wow, it's nice to finally meet you” I answer, trying to actually speak and not sound anything less than happy for him.
“Geno was bit nervous about me meeting you, he says you're quite protective” She explains and I nodded.

“I guess I am a bit” I answer, looking towards Geno and sigh. “Well actually you just reminded me, I need to pick up some books I ordered”

I patted Geno on the thigh and stood up, holding in every negative emotion. I ran out of that room faster than I ran out of the room when I caught Steph and Jon. I quickly walked out of the arena hoping no one sees the stray tears and try to get to my car before anyone sees me. Once I do get into the car, I'm turning it on and leaving the parking lot, wiping the tears away.

I drive just down the street where the book store was, I slam my car door and walk in hoping to lose all my emotions in the hard copies of romantic books. I try to greet the employee at the front but fail miserably with my fake smile. I enter the store and make my way over to the teen section. I well aware I'm not a teenager anymore, but these are where all the good books are.

The next thing I know I have twenty books at the counter, everyone looks at me like I'm insane and I just tell them I'm going on a trip around the world. Like I haven't used the excuse before but none the less, I'm back at my condo, stacking the books upon each other and decide to take a picture of it. The next thing I know, Keirstyn is pouncing into my room.

“Holy shit” She says, seeing the books stacked up high. “What did you do?”

“Remember that week where you and Beau broke up?” I asks and she sadly nods, thinking back to the tragic week that Autumn and I had to handle a broken Keirstyn.

“I went to American Apparel and bought a lot of stuff” She answers and I nodded.

“Retail therapy” We both sigh and she plops down on the bed next to me.

“Are you okay?” She asks, and I ponder the question for a second before shaking my head and fresh tears answer her. She scoots up to cradle me in her arms, just as I did when Beau and her fought about his ex-girlfriend Amy.

“She's absolutely gorgeous” I cry and Keirstun laughs.

“So are you” She pushed the hair away from my face. “I know you probably don't want to move, but the game is in a little bit”

“I think I'm going to stay here” I let out, deciding that it would only hurt more if I went. Keirstyn looks at me skeptically. “I'm going to watch on television while eating cookie dough”

“You don't change do you?” She asks and I shake my head. She lets go and then pulls me up from the bed to give me a hug. “Geno's just confused, he'll come to his senses”

“Thanks” I smile at her and pull apart when he phone beeps. I look over her shoulder to see a text from Beau.

Is she okay? Can't wait for you to watch! I'm determined to get a goal, just for you! I love you Keirstyn!

“He truly is a ray of sun shine” I comment and Keirstyn nods, biting the end of her finger. “Well you better get out of here before the traffic hits”

“Are you sure you're okay?” Keirstyn asks and I nodded.

“I'll be fine” I say and wipe a tear. “Go”

Keirstyn leaves the condo, I literally watch her skip out. I turned on the tv to the channel the game is on, I pull out a tub of cookie dough and grab a spoon. I then sit on the couch for the next hour or so, until the third period and I've eventually fell into a sugar coma.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image