Beyond the Stars

Scene Two

“Excuse m-“her sweet voice starts, only to be interrupted by a voice filled with arrogance.

The man begins, “Sorry sweetheart I only go for women not girls, if you’ve come for that you’re wasting your time.” From that moment she had finally realized the true reason of her father’s hatred for this man.

“Well to correct your totally false assumption sir, no I’m not here for that. I can tell you must not be very great at the art of assumption? Not letting other people finish their words before forming a valid opinion. A very wise man once told me to think before you act, by the way he happened to be my father.” There was no way Arabella would leave the room feeling shameful and failed.

“Hmm, well if there’s one thing your father forgot to teach you it’s that there isn’t a spot for any women to form an opinion in this universe. Now unless you’re the queen or the princess, beat it kid go back home to sulk to your dad!” Just the mention of her father rose up the anger in her.

She took a deep breath before replying, “My father’s dead, once again you’ve just proven my point of how you don’t seem to know how to gather conclusions well. But let me get to the point so I don’t start lecturing you. I have a Millennium Falcon that doesn’t seem to be working the way it should, I don’t know if I messed the thing up or if it’s just outdated. I’ll be willing to pay ten grand if you can fix it.” The man roared in laughter not believing the nerve of the girl.

He put himself back together, “Forty grand.” He declares, Arabella’s eyes widening like saucers no way would she be wasting her money on that, “Ha the look on your face, you actually believed me for a moment, but I don’t know kid, sounds like you’ve got yourself some space junk if you’re asking me for advice. Sit down, let’s talk this little problem you got going on. Chewie go get all the data you can on this so called Millennium Falcon.” Arabella took a seat at where the Wookiee was once at, trying her best to seem professional.

“It is junk for your information. It looks like a piece of trash, but I promise you the ship does wonders.” This still didn’t seem to impress Han Solo.

“First things first, someone’s got to tell you how things go in my world. I do the talking, and you do the listening, if you got something to say keep it to yourself kiddo. Second of all, the only rules I follow are my own. If you want to learn how to make it into the big league you got to shut that little mouth of yours before you get diced into little pieces darling.” She wanted nothing more than to slap that egotistical smirk out of his face, but she was strong enough to control her actions.

“Just cut to the chase and tell me whether or not you’re going to come and help me.” Poor Arabella felt as if she was the adult, trying to tame a five year old, “If I don’t have this damn ship done by tomorrow morning, I don’t know what I’ll do anymore!” the immature, untamed side of her was slowly escalating her tongue.

“Well this is going to take a while isn’t huh? You’re worse than my furry buddy over there, and speaking of the devil…” he found it amusing how much he could make the girl irritated in just a few split seconds, it made him feel like he was the one in charge of the whole situation.

He had the height of a Stormtrooper, and the same sandy-coloured hair her father had when he was in his youth. As the man had made conversation with the Wookiee, she had noticed his rather rural-esque apparel, with the vest and white-sleeved shirt that made him look like a typical farm boy from Tatooine. For a man who acted like he was born with gold all his life he didn’t seem to dress the part for the role, making the girl conclude that he most likely spent his money on other goods or was one of those ‘rare’ cash saving freaks. So he was conceited, illogical, sexist, arrogant, cocky, rude, and downright pretentious, yet she still wondered about the grudge her father had for the man. In her life she was certain she had come across men and even ladies far worse than Han Solo, so what was it that had melted off the bonds her family had while she was still a young girl? Arabella slightly opened her mouth as if she were to say a few words but instantly closed her lips together, just by the time she realized that constant bickering would do her no good. This wasn’t working, he was too stubborn, and to make things worse so was she. Perhaps if she were to act as if she was an easier listener, and less of the grumpy boss some sort of agreements would be held onto firmly.

“Arabella.” She mutters demandingly, shifting Han’s attention towards her in confusion, “Arabella is my name. Of course there’s no need for you to make any introductions since I know who you are.” She closed her eyes in deep thought, not bothering to hear what he would have to say.

“Well then, I guess we got that part settled down…” he started, taking a pause before continuing on, “I’ve met enough odd people that I’m quite sure I’m not ready to go down that road once again, but how’s about we make some sort of deal you know? You got yourself an old model and I’d be willing to pay a couple grand to buy the ship, probably going to make a couple of neat adjustments.” He had noticed that her eyes were still shut together as if she was asleep.

“2O do me a favor would you? Come over here and tell me approximately how much the ship would cost for selling?” she had slowly opened her eyes, confusing the man.

“My pleasure Madame, it looks to be that the current price for a Millennium is almost twenty grand in total. However I must conclude the final price for you, taking into deep thought the damage and replacements that must be made, therefore the total for the model we currently have with us is dropped down to fifteen grand.” L-2O had slowly made his way through, his parts stiffened up and rusted, “Now if you’ll excuse me folks, I best get going for some grease. If robots would be able to catch arthritis this would be it for me.”

He had a winning look on his face, his lips pointed upwards in excitement, “So are we going to get his piece of crap fixed, or are you just going to stay here with that annoying drone of yours? Come on Chewie, let’s get out of here before I kill another thug.”