Lunar Ellipse

One Last Time

I was enduring the journey towards my home town. Beacon Hills. Now sixteen I was adamant I had to visit one last time. I can still remember it. The night I was dragged away from my home and given to a new family. I'll admit, the couple I ended up with were nice enough. They treated me like I was their own. Unfortunately, they aren't able to procreate so they were glad when I cam along. Moving away from the town of Beacon Hills meant I left my friends behind. Most of them wouldn't even remember me. After all, I was six when it happened. I just hoped I could get through this visit without seeing any of them. My main goal was to just see my old house one last time. I hadn't been back since the accident. As far as I'm concerned no one else survived. It was just me. I was left on my own. I was unlucky though. Born with a supernatural ability. Not being able to tell anyone about it. Having to learn to control all on my own. You could say growing up I wished my family were still around to help me. After all, they are... were the same. I fell asleep in the back of the car only to dream of that night...

We were happier than ever. When you're as close as my family was, every minute is precious. My parents stood laughing whilst I tormented my older siblings. That' when it happened. A fire broke out. I heard the screams as my family began to die. I ran, thinking they would follow. But they didn't. I made it safely to the edge of the trees surrounding my house. I covered my ears and knelt on the rough ground. The screams and shouts of my family ringing in my ears. I looked up to see the wooden building overcome with smoke and flames.

It must have been ours later when they found me. I must've fallen asleep. I remember looking up at a dark shadow standing over me. He bent over and picked me up. It was the deputy sheriff. Deputy Stilinski. I looked over his shoulder as the bodies of my family were wheeled out of the burnt building. He tried to turn me away, but I refused to tear my eyes away. He handed me over to the nice lady. Abigail she called herself. She took me to a new home filled with lots of other children.

Then one day a nice man and lady took me home. They showered me with new things. Clothes. Toys. And love. I was glad. They were my new mum and dad. But my old ones could never be replaced. I kept pictures of them next to my bed. I missed them. I cried myself to sleep every night. Then the nightmares would start. I would hear him cry out in pain. I would scream for him. Yell for my brother. Derek. Derek Hale. The one person I admired the most. The person I wanted to be like His screams would become my screams. And then I would wake up covered in sweat, crying my eyes out...

Warm, strong hands shook my shoulders trying to wake me. I sat up quickly. My throat sore from screaming.

"Emily. Emily, calm down it's okay. You're okay." Luca said, trying to calm me down.

"Emily we're here," Elizabeth said as she pulled up just outside the town sign. "Do you want us to come with you?"

I shook my head, this was something I needed to do alone. They turned back around and set off into the town of Beacon Hills. They parked at the edge of the woods. I saw the break in the trees. I opened the car door and got out. I started up the muddy path to the house. When my eyes fell upon it all the memories of that night came back to me. I slowly made my way up to the front porch. I pushed the door open with one hand. The inside was burnt out and a thick layer of dust settled around everything. I made my way into what used to be the front room. I looked at the burnt frames above the fire, just being able to make out some of the pictures. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and held it up, spreading light across the photos. I saw one that was taken just before the fire. It was of myself, Derek and our older sister Cora. I lump formed in my throat as I shone the light of everything else in the room.

I should have heard him standing in the doorway but I was to absorbed in my surroundings. I only realised he was there when I growl erupted from his chest. I turned my head defensively and began to growl back. My claws grew out and I felt my eyes shift from blue to gold. I hesitated, it was Derek. But he didn't recognise me. He lunged at me, knocking me across the room. He picked me up off the floor, holding me against a wall by my throat.

"Derek?" I questioned.

"How do you know who I am? What are you doing here?" He snapped.

"Derek," I said once more. "Derek, it's me. It's Emily."

"Emily?" He replied, setting me back on my feet.

I nodded, watching him retract his transformation. I watched him as he paced up and down the room three times. He then strode over to me and pulled me in for a hug. I missed his hugs. I wrapped my arms around him. Still confused at how he was alive. No one ran out after me that night. And I certainly didn't see anyone else leave.

"How are you alive?" I questioned curiously.

"I might ask you the same thing," he replied. "I escaped and ran, I didn't want to watch you all die."

"I ran, just after it started, but I didn't see you leave." I explained.

"I used the tunnel." Derek said.

I nodded my head understanding the situation. I explained to him about how I was taken in by a nice couple and how I realised what I was not long after. That's when I remembered that Luca and Elizabeth would be waiting for me.

"I should go, they're waiting for me. ." I said, looking at him one last time.

"Wait, stay, you don't need to go back, you have me." He replied.

I shook my head. "I can't, I never thought we'd see each other again. I worked so hard to put the past to rest. You don't get the right to come back into my life like a demon uninvited.Distraught doesn't even describe how I felt after that night. I thought you were dead for the past eleven years of my life. You missed everything, I'm sorry. It's just not going to happen."

"I understand." Derek said, blank of any emotion.

I took one more look at him before leaving the house I once called home. I felt horrible about saying that to him. But where would we even start. I guess you could say he's back from the dead. I let a few tears cascade down my cheeks as I headed back towards my parents. I had accepted them as my parents after a few months of being with them. After all, they did raise me. I called them my parents. I think it made them happy. I was relieved when I reached the safety of my parents car. I clambered into the back seat. I couldn't get out of here quick enough.

"Are you okay Emily," my mum asked, a worried expression on her face as she saw my tears.

I nodded, "I just found some pictures that's all."

I tried to keep my voice steady. She nodded, they bought the lie. I'd never lied to them before, it seemed wrong. I couldn't tell them the truth though. I mean how could I tell them the brother who was meant to be dead, wasn't? As we set off back towards home, I thought about what he had said. Even if I did come back, it's not like anyone would remember me. Not my friends or their parents. I had lost my best friend that night. I never got to say goodbye to her. Lydia. I knew that night she would never forgive me. I ditched her after we promised to never leave one another. Now at the age of sixteen she's probably moved on. I bet everyone has. Everyone would have forgotten me...