Status: This is a YA novel i am working on between projects, i will try and update weekly but close to publication dates of my self published books it may be a little bit longer between updates

The Monster Below

Chapter 8

He looked just the same as every other time I had seen him... gorgeous. Same fantastic hair, strong body, mesmerising ey... Blinking fast I pulled my eyes away from his, breaking the intense connection there had been between us from drawing me in. What was it with that mesmerising stare of his? After a few moments I decided to risk another glance. He was my date after all. It would make me look odder than usual if I just ignored him now. Lifting my eyes he smiled, crooking his finger to beckon me over.

He was late, had missed the entire dance. I should stay were I was, ignore him, let him see how he liked standing around waiting. I had looked at him but refusing to go over there was what any self-respecting person would do. There, decision made. . .

My feet were moving, taking me towards him even as I begged them in my head to stop. What the hell?

"Where have you been?" I snapped, stopping before him. Okay, so at least I still had control over my mouth, even if I had lost the control of my motor functions.

At my sharp words he smiled, flashing his blindingly white teeth, though the smile didn't quite reach his eyes. "I had to deal with a family emergency."

"Oh dear. I do hope that everything is alright," Jasmine asked, her voice filled with fake concern, bashing me out of the way with her hip so that she could stand closest to him. "I'm Jasmine by the way. I'm sure Phoenix has told you all about me."

What? Why the hell would I have done that?

"Of course," he spoke at the exact same time that I answered. "No."

I needed to move quickly if I was to stop her from stealing my date, even if I was majorly pissed at him. "The dance is over," I informed him, moving closer to him even as a shiver of doubt ran through me. How many times had I decided that I wasn't going to see him again, go to the dance? "But there is a party happening at Stephanie's house a few streets away, if you want to come?"

Don't. Please don't come.

"I would like that very much." My heart dropped at his words. What was wrong with me? One minute I wanted him, the next I didn't.

Stepping beside me I could feel his gaze upon me, feel his eyes burning into me. "Well let's go then," reaching out for my hand.

Should I take it? Refuse? He was my date... even though he had been extremely late. Maybe I should. . . Lifting my hand and placing it in his.

What was I worrying about? It was Finn for crying out loud. I'd known him like forever. Shoving my stupidity away with a shake of my head I leaned in to his side, loving the feeling of his cold body against mine. He was so great.

Turning to smile at Jasmine I couldn't help but feel I small bout of satisfaction at the look upon her face. She may have wanted Finn at the party but having me there was far from what she wanted. But it was too late now, she had invited Finn and where ever he went so did I.