So Long and Good Night

Realizing They're in Love

The silence in his quiet apartment was broken by the obnoxious buzzing of the alarm clock that rested on his night stand, next to the lamp. With a raspy groan, Gerard rolled over and started aimlessly smacking at the top of the clock, searching blindly for the snooze button. Though, like every other morning, out of frustration, his long arm slid behind the stand and ripped the plug from the outlet, killing the noise instantly.

After a several short minutes of arguing with himself to get out of bed or to call in sick, Gerard pulled himself out from under the warm covers and stood from the mattress. With a yawn, he started to stretch, popping bones that he didn't know existed, let alone could pop.

"Christ, so this is what it feels like to get old." He smiled slightly to himself, shuffling into the bathroom and flipping on the light, nearly blinding himself.

Just next door, though, Frank was wide awake, hyped up on caffeine and lack-of-sleep. He just kept pacing the hallway, lower lip caught between his teeth and arms crossed in thought. Trying to figure out something that had been eating at him all night.

Now, Mr. Iero was indeed attracted to men, but Gerard, his new neighbor, was going to be a struggle. Ever since they ran into each other at the top-floor landing, Frank was hooked. But, he was still trying to come to that conclusion himself.

"I've had crushes before, but this is much stronger than a little school crush." Frank mumbled, still pacing.

"But what if..." he gasped, stopping dead in his tracks, "no, that's not possible, I only met him last night. There's no way I'm falling for him." He mumbled. Frank shuffled over to the couch and slowly lowered himself down, trying to push the idea of "love at first sight" out of his head.

He sat for a while, still trying to shake the idea before glancing up at the clock. The man saw that it was 9:30, and he had to be at work at 10:30.

With a sigh, he pushed himself up and quickly walked back to his bedroom. While shimmying out of his pants, he pulled the shirt he had been in the night before off over his head and stepped over to his closet. Frank began flipping through shirts and finally pulled out a button-up black and red plaid shirt and a pair of clean skinny jeans to go with it. Carrying his clothes into the bathroom with him he began dressing and washing his face. Once that task was finished, the man grabbed his phone and wallet before going into the living room and proceeding to lace up the black Converse he always wore.

In the complex just next door, Mr. Way was pouring himself the first cup of coffee for the day. He leaned his shirtless body up against the counter, taking a long sip of the hot and highly caffeinated liquid. Gerard sighed before placing down his mug and trudging back to his room, slipping off the sweatpants he wore. Gliding over to his wardrobe, he started to pull out shirts and pants randomly, causally throwing them aside when he decided against them. Finally, he settled on a pair of black skinny jeans, a white sports shirt with green sleeves, and a dark blue beanie, to keep his messy red locks out of his face. Once dressed, the man glanced at his reflection and proceeded into the kitchen, to finish his coffee and get the black combat boots on his feet and laced up.

As the caffeine pumped through his veins, and the grin spread across his face, Gerard made his way out the door, just now remembering what he had promised to his new neighbor the night before. Spinning around, he closed his apartment door, and slid the key in the lock, insuring his privacy.

With a notable skip in his step, the excited man strolled over to the other door on this floor and placed his finger on the white button. He could hear the muffled doorbell ringing within the complex. Gerard stepped back slightly, crossing his arms over his torso and tapping his toe.

A few short minutes later, a short Frank appeared from behind the door. Gerard greeted him with a gentle smile and a little finger wave.

"Hey, neighbor." he chirped happily.

"Oh, hello, Gerard." smiled Frank as he stepped out the door.

"You ready to go?" The taller man questioned.

"Sure am." he replied, closing the door behind himself and turning around to lock it. He succeeded much quicker that he had the previous time he was in Gerard's presence.

Frank turned back around to face Gerard, and let him lead the way down the eight flights of stairs down to the parking lot. As they reached the bottom, the taller of the tow jumped the last several steps and landed with a 'thud' on the pavement. The shorter man had tried to copy, but just ended up stumbling off and tripping onto the concrete.

"Whoa, don't get ahead of yourself there, shorty." Gerard teased, holding out his hand as an offer to help Frank to his feet.

"It's my Goddamn short legs." Frank huffed in return, accepting the man's offer and pulling himself up, regaining his balance.

The red-head started leading the way to the studio, walking along side Frank so they could chat. Along the way, Gerard would point out his favorite little corner shops, like record shops, book stores, and little restaurants. Thought, there was one that he had to stop at as they passed. Excitedly, he glanced down at his watch. Seeing they still had plenty of time, he turned to Frank.

"Do you have some money on you?" he asked frantically.

"Uh, yeah...why?" He questioned hesitantly.

"Because, we're gonna go have some coffee." Gerard smirked, taking Frank by the arm and leading him quickly into the corner Starbucks. As fast as the other man would allow, Gerard dragged him up to the front counter and turned back to him.

"What do you want?" He asked, the smile across his face only growing.

"Uh...a hot chocolate I guess." Frank replied hesitantly.

"Oh, good choice." He complimented, turning his attention back to the woman behind the counter, ready to take their orders.

"I'll have two hot chocolates, one with caramel and one regular." Gerard said to the lady.

"All right, anything else?"

"Nope."

"Okay, one moment please." She requested before stepping around and preparing the two men's drinks.

"Y'know, I've never actually had Starbucks." Frank finally admitted. When he looked up at the man next to him, the only expression on his face was one of pure shock.

"W-what?!" He finally choked out, "you've never, EVER had Starbucks?! It's like the best thing in the fucking world." Gerard exclaimed.

"I've just never been bothered about trying it." Frank replied, chuckling lightly.

"Well, then I'll pay."

"Oh, I can't let you do that."

"No, no. I insist. It's going towards a good cause anyways." He giggled, fishing his wallet out from his back pocket.

"Your total is eight dollars and 17 cents." The cashier states, pushing the hot drinks forwards.

"Here ya go." Gerard smiled, handing her a ten.

"Okay, Sir, $1.83 is your change. Have a great day." She smiled, handing the man his extra.

"Thanks, you too." he replied, grabbing both cups and walking over to the same table he always sat at, when it was vacant.

Gerard placed both drinks down and slid the cup marked regular over to Frank before hopping up onto one of the stools. He quickly started drinking his hot chocolate, watching the man across from him intently, wanting to see his reaction to the deliciousness.

"What?" Frank asked, chuckling nervously.

"I'm waiting for you to take your first try of Starbucks, Frankie." Gerard smirked, still sipping at his own.

"All right, all right." Frank sighed, picking up the plastic cup and taking a long drink of the warm liquid. He watched Gerard's face just light up at he awaited what he was going to say. "Wow, that is pretty good." he nodded, taking another swig.

"See? Didn't I tell ya?" Gerard giggled, looking down at his watch as the little hand just ticked, indicating that it was 10:15.

"Oh wow. We need to get going!" Gerard exclaimed, jumping up from his seat and once again, grabbing the other man's arm and pulling Frank behind his own body out the door.

Frank, of course, was caught very off guard by Gerard sudden actions, but as he was being drug behind him from the building, something clicked inside of him that made everything seem clear.

Now, as Gerard was watching for the other man's reaction for his favorite delicacy, he noticed something that he hadn't before. Frank was truly gorgeous. His soft hazel eyes, short, jet black hair, his slightly pale skin, and the fact that he was so short just made him seem even cuter to Gerard. And, like with Frank, something inside of him changed, and he wanted to be just a little closer to his new neighbor.