So Long and Good Night

The Third Street Park at Midnight.

"Gerard...Gerard." Frank's hushed voice nearly cooed, still groggy and hoarse from the sleep still lingering. He gently shook his shoulder until he awoke with a slight jump, looking around until his tired eyes fell upon Frank's shirtless body.

​"Hey you." Gee smiled, bringing one hand up to his eye ​​, gently rubbing the crusted sleep away.

​"Hi there."

​"What time is it?"

​"It's about 11:45."

​"Oh." Gee yawned, "Okay."

​Frank poked his nose a rose from the couch, stretching out, his arms above his head.

​"Damn...you be lookin' fine." Gerard smirked, standing up himself and wrapping his arms around Franks neck.

​"Me? You should look at yourself. I still love that ass." Frank winked, one hand resting on Gee's waist, and the other snaking slowly down to rest on his backside, rubbing gentle circles with his palm.

​"Well how about we get going. It's late and I told Jim that I'd have this place cleaned up by 10." Gee smiled, walking over to wear his pants lay and pulled them up his legs, hopping slightly to get them comfortable around his waist.

​"Do you want some help cleaning up?" Frank asked, knowing the answer perfectly well.

​"Uhm, of course I do. You helped eat the food, didn't you?"

​"Well yes, but I didn't set out this elaborate spread."

​"Elaborate? Pft please. We ate Chinese food, the candles, with stands, the rose pedals, the plates and silverware, that glasses, and the platters all came from Dollar General. ​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Though the champagne and the wine, Skittle Vodka, Jack Daniel's, and the Coke I was still in the fridge did cost a bit more." Gerard grinned, pulling the tub out of the refrigerator. The one that once held the bottles on ice, now let them float in water.

​"I see, well its still much much MUCH more than I would have put into it." Frank smiled, "I mean if you would have let the first date up to me, I would have gotten McDonald's and rented a crappy movie from the movie store."

​"And you know what?" Gee asked, walking over and, once again, slinking his long arms over Frank's shoulders. "I would have loved it anyway. Anything you do I think is amazing." he smiled, leaning down and planting a short-lived kiss to Frank's still smiling lips. A light little blush creeped across his cheeks. He was about to disagree with Gee, but a finger was brought to his lips, causing his to shush.

​"C'mon. Just help me clean up." Gerard smiled, going over to the table and brushing all the pedals into a little ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​pile near the edge. He walked over, grabbing the trash can from the corner of the room and swept the pile in with his hand. He also grabbed the candles and dumped them in as well.

​While Gerard was busying himself throwing everything away, Frank was boxing up all the food and draining the liquor tub of the water. After drying it out, he everything back in it and went over to help Gee.

​"Hey, could you go to my booth and grab the gym bag under my desk?" He asked, nicely.

​"Sure. Anything else you need?"

​"Yeah. Could you pretty please get me a water from the vending machine?" Gee asked, shooting Frank an unneeded puppy-dog eye look.

​"I can indeed," Frank smiled, leaning in and pecking him lightly on the lips. "Try not to miss me too much." He winked, walking out the door.

​"No promises!" Gee called behind him, smiling to himself before clearing the rest of their mess. and getting their clothes up off the floor.

​Frank made his silent walk down the dimly lit hallways. He finally made it to the booths before waling into Gerard's.

​He flipped the lights on with a simple motion and saw the bag poking out from under the desk. Frank walked over and bent down to grab the strap. When he came back up, something caught his eye. There was a little folded piece of paper laying on the surface of his desk, right next to the computer monitor. And written on the front was "Frankie" in scratchy handwriting.

​"With a small smile to himself, he picked up the note and unfolded it carefully, revealing a letter.

​"Dear Frankie,

​I just wanted you to know that I couldn't have had asked for a better night. In fact, I don't think I could even imagine one. You showed me that love doesn't have to be all about hiding in the closet and wishing more than anything to come out. Like, when I was with Levi, all he did was hide. We could never hold hands in public, we never went out to see a movie together, we always slept with the lights on. It seemed like he was almost afraid of being gay, or just laying next to a gay man. I don't know exactly what it was, but all I know is that you have made me happier in just one night, than he ever did within our 5 year relationship. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​I want to just thank you now because I don't think I'll be able to actually tell you. But maybe some day. Thank you for bringing back my true happy.

​Love,
​G xoxo"

​All he could do was smile, taking the letter and pressing to his chest, his eyes growing watery.

​Frank walked out with Gerard's bag slung over his shoulder, the note still clutched to his chest, as he made his way to the vending machine around the corner. He fished out his wallet and inserted a one dollar bill into the slit. With a few button pushes, the had a chilled Aquafina ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​water in his free hand.

​As he walked back to the lounge, he was thinking of a way to tell Gerard what he meant to him. And it was going to be with the Super Man action figure he bought Gerard.

​***

​"Hey, can we stop by the apartments before heading down to Third Street? I don't really wanna go to the park in nice clothes." Frank chuckled, walking along side Gerard, carrying the tub of food and liquor.

​"Sure, honey. I need to get all my shit put away anyway." said Gerard, as they walked out of the doors to the studio.

​They walked the several short blocks quietly, not really talking. They were both just thinking about how the relationship was going and things of that nature.

​Finally, the reached the parking lot of their building and began climbing up the stairs, Frank following Gerard, watching his sexy back side in those tight-fitting jeans as he traveled up the many flights of stairs.

​When they reached the top, Gerard went into his apartment, and Frank into his.

​Setting the whole tub in his refrigerator, ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Frank went back into his bedroom and changed into a black tee shirt and a sports type jacket. He went over to his dresser and grabbed the box that held that action figure. He then sat down at his desk, grabbing a sheet of paper and a pen.

​"Dear Gee,

​I just want to let you know something that I don't have the bravery to tell actually tell you. But first, let me just start off by saying. HOLY SHIT! I've never ever had anything like that. It was so romantic and sweet. And Jesus Fuckin' Christ, you look damn fine in that blazer, but even better just walking around in just your boxers. Thank you for such an amazing night. I want everything we do to have that much feeling and love. And I intend to fulfill that want.

​Now, with that side, time to get serious. I feel it's better to let you know now, than to wait. I don't want to hurt you more when things start to get more serious between the tow of us.

​Before I moved to Manhattan, I was severely depressed. I still am, that's something I can't change. I am also suicidal. I think about killing myself nearly everyday. I have scars, I've been broken and I'm only just now healing. Moving here was kind of like a new start. New work place, new house, new city, and a bunch of new people. I was hoping that I could get away from everything that was making me bad again. But really, everything just came with me.

​But then, I ran into you on those stairs, and, the second I looked into your gorgeous eyes, I was hooked. Since that day, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. And today, I haven;t thought about my depression or anything that might make me start to get bad. I want to thank you for that, because nobody had been able to do that for me. I fell that we were meant for each other because, I just know that you won't hurt me. You won't disappoint me. You won't abandon me, and you will be there with me when I might start going downhill. ​​​​ ​​​​​​I love you Gerard. I know I shouldn't say that because when you think about it, we barely even know each other but I don't care. I never want to care about loving you because it's also something that I can't help. I love you Gerard Way, and thank you for being my savior. For being my Super Man.

​Love,
​Frankie."

​He finished with a sigh, picking up the paper and smiling. He pulled it to his lips and signed where his name was inked on, and folded it up, writing Gee on the front. Frank got up and taped the paper to the box before flipping out the lights and locking his apartment back up.

​He kept his hand in his pocket, holding onto the box. Frank walked up to Gerard's ​​​​​​​​and knocked, feeling the butterflies run wild in his stomach.

​"It's open." He heard Gee's muffled voice shout from somewhere in the complex.

​"Where are you?" Called Frank, walking though the threshold and pulling the door closed behind his body. ​​​​​​​​

​"Back in my room." replied Gerard's sweet voice. Frank followed it back into his bedroom, where he found him sitting at a desk, hunched over what looked to be a sketch book, gey pencil marks sprawled all over the page. He smiled to himself as he just now heard Gee singing a song called Action Cat to himself.

​"We got fire cracker wishes that we can make." he sang, still not noticing that Frank was now standing behind him.

​"You really do have a beautiful voice, babe." Frank smiled, looking over his shoulder in an attempt to see what he was drawing. He could just make out two eyes and a nose before Gerard covered it up.

​"Well thank you." He smiled, spinning around in the swivel chair he was currently occupying. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​"Watcha drawin'?" Frank asked curiously, trying to snatch the book from the top of the desk.

​"Oh, I'll show you when I'm finished with it." He smirked, closing the cover and standing up, giving Frank a quick kiss to his now pouting lips. ​​​​​​​​"C'mon, pouty. Let's get going."

​"Fine." Frank mumbled,​​​​ allowing Gee to take his hand and lead him out the door and down the stairs.

​Once again, their walk was quiet as they made their commute to the park.

​Just like before, the trees opened up, and the clearing came into full view. The sing set and merry-go-round were still in their places.

​This time, Frank was the one to speed up his pace, running towards the swings and dragging Gerard behind. ​​​​​​​​​​​​

​"Well isn't someone eager?" chuckled Gerard, sitting down on the cold swing next to his boyfriend.

​"Well, I have something for you." Frank smiled, pulling the box out of his jacket pocket.

​"Close your eyes." He smiled. Gerard chuckled and complied, his eyelids falling down.

​Frank grabbed the hand that was sitting in his lap, and flipped it palm-up. He placed the action figure into his hand.

​"Okay, you can open up." Frank said gently, still smiling.

​Gee looked down slowly and nearly screamed when he saw what it was.

​"Oh my God Frank! Thank you!" He yelped, leaning over and hugging him forcefully. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​Frank chuckled. "Now, before you get too excited, there is a note on the back."
​He turned over the box in Gee;s hand and let him see for himself.

​Gerard pulled it off gently and unfolded it, his eyes falling upon the words scrawled across the page.

​As he read further and further down, the expression on his face changed drastically.

​By the time his eyes left the paper, he had a stray tear rolling down his cheek, his bottom lip quivering. ​​​​​​​​He simply rose from the swing and started to walk. Frank stood quickly and rush up behind him.

​Frank rested a hand gently on Gerard;s shoulder, who jumped around and threw his arms around Frank, burying his face into the crook of his neck. ​​​​

​"I'm never going to leave you." he whispered, tears starting to slide down is flushed cheeks, the note falling to the ground. ​​​​