Fatum

Life gets a bit mores stimulating

I’ve come to the conclusion that I am a very boring person.

Let’s look at what the past two weeks of school had been like for me:
1) I wake up, get dressed in my horribly unfashionable uniform. Seriously, these sweaters itch.
2) I walk down to the Great Hall, usually with Lottie as Lily and Livia are too happy in the mornings. (We need to get better nicknames for those three. Way too many L’s. I can’t keep up.)
3) I drink at least two cups of coffee, depending on the morning sometimes more.
4) I eat two waffles, precisely two. No more, no less. It would throw off my entire process.
5) I go to morning classes and try not to fall asleep.
6) I sit with the girls at lunch, sometimes Livia isn’t there as she’s off with whatever ‘boy toy’ she has for that day.
7) I go to afternoon classes.
8) After class I go either to the common room or library (whichever is less busy) and work on homework (aka take a nap).
9) I eat supper.
10) I go back to the common room, talk with whichever of the girls are there, and then proceed to collapse onto my bed in utter exhaustion.

Clearly I needed to amp up my lifestyle, seeing as the most stimulating part of my day was seeing what the twins would argue about at lunch, and then the same for supper. Today had been what type of pants make your butt look the best at lunch, and if muggle music was better than wizarding music at supper. Lily made a ghastly decision by suggesting overalls during the lunchtime argument. I thought the twins would surely murder her right then and there. They were both holding their forks very firmly.

I had to agree with Lily though.

I love overalls.

I was presently on step 8 of my daily schedule, and it was a library day. The common room had been overflowing with first and second year Gryffindors for some odd reason. I’m pretty sure it had something to do with daring each other to eat odd colored Bertie Bott’s beans or something along those lines.

I had been curled up in my favorite spot for who knows how long, on a Thursday night. Shows how downright fascinating of a human being I am. At least it wasn’t a Friday or Saturday night. Now that would be embarrassing.

Lily had been so busy this week with her Head Girl duties, that I felt more alone than ever. James was Head Boy, which made it ever so interesting. We all knew those two would get Head Boy and Girl. Well, everyone except those two knew. My hope is that Lily would get off her high horse and maybe just snog James a bit. Then she’d realize they were meant to be.

I was two full sheets of parchment into my potions essay-curse that befuddling class, I will never understand it-when I heard the accustomed shriek of Pince. Considering the fact that I had nothing better to do with my time, I gathered my belongings and hurried over to the source of the noise.

Madam Pince had a hold of Peter Pettigrew’s robes, yelling what must have been profanities at him in some odd language. I had to hand it to her, she was good with words, and in many languages.

From the looks of it, Peter had hexed a large pile of books to turn a bile colored green, and it seemed as if the books were literally puking out words. Gosh there were weird hexes in the world.

“No, Madam Pince, honestly it wasn’t me! I didn’t do it!” Peter was practically on his hands and knees begging for Pince to believe him, which was highly unlikely.

“If it wasn’t you then who was it?” She yelled at him, “You seventh years think you run this school! Bloody brats, I ought to have you sent to detention for a month! Defiling books! Pah, what a horrid crime!” Pince reached out and pinched Peter’s ear, attempting to get a confession out of him. Ha! Pince pinched Peter. Try saying that ten times fast.

“I swear! I didn’t do it! It was…” He froze, looking around for a safety net, or anything to get out of the situation. I had to try hard not to laugh at the desperation on his face. He was a pathetic person honestly. I let out a soft snort and Peter’s head whipped towards me.

“It was Alice! Look, she’s trying to hide!”

Did he?

He did.

How could he blame me?! What had I ever done to him?

I was right, he was a truly pathetic human being.

Pince turned quickly and spotted me, “Alice! You’ll have detention every Friday this month! Next time I catch you tainting my books, I’ll make sure Dumbledore seriously considers expulsion for you and the rest of your delinquent friends.”

That settled that. Pince and I were the best of friends. It was officially. She clearly just adored me. But seriously? Detention?!

I stood there with my mouth hanging open, just to show off how brilliant I really was. I had never been one to stand up to teachers or authority figures, so I nodded my head quickly before sending a cold glare in Peter’s direction. That would show him.

“You will arrive in Filch’s office at exactly 7 o’clock Friday night and you will stay at detention until Mr. Filch deems you have done enough to work off your impudent behaviour. Is that clear?”

I nodded again, what else was I to do? If I told her I hadn’t done it, Peter would just deny it again. And to be frank, he was more highly skilled at the whole lying thing. I couldn’t lie to save my life, unless it had to do with my medicine. I would do whatever possible to not take that devil juice.

So instead, I gathered my books and turned to leave. I couldn’t stay in the library now! Oh gosh, what if I could never go there again? And if I did, what would Pince say? Why didn’t I just tell her I didn’t do anything?

Honestly, I hadn’t the faintest clue why I couldn’t muster up the courage to tell that silly old librarian that I was not at fault there, and Peter was only trying to get out of trouble. That would have been a lot easier. So what if Peter disliked me afterwards? I could live with that.
Where was Lily when I needed her?

After returning to the common room I found that Lily was still off doing whatever it was Head Girl’s do. Lottie was there however, and so I shared my little adventure in the library with her instead.
“Peter did what?! That little…” I erased the next few words from my memory as they were far too vulgar to ever repeat. “Alice, that isn’t right. You need to go back and explain to Madam Pince exactly what happened!”

Lottie was clearly out of her mind. There were three possible scenarios that could play out if I went back now:
1) The most unlikely of the three; Madam Pince realizes that I was only trying to be a good student, apologizes to me for the injustice she has displayed, and makes me a good cup of coffee and biscuits to make up for it.
2) Madam Pince could see my explanation as a sign of weakness, and say that the fact I could tell stand up for myself was pitiful. This scenario would cause my level of humiliation to rise, meaning I would not be able to return to the library. And…
3) The most likely; Madam Pince would think I was a suck-up, simply not wanting to attend detention, causing myself either more detentions, or to be permanently removed from the library.

Knowing my luck, it would be scenario three, and I wasn’t risking that.

“No, honestly it’s fine Lottie. I’ll just go, serve the stupid detention and then this will all be over. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen? I’ll have to clean a couple books? Maybe dust off a shelf? It’ll be fine.” I was only trying to convince her, though I had yet to convince myself. The thought of detention was petrifying. I wasn’t a rebel student, I was very well behaved. Detention + Alice Fortescue d