Have Faith in Me

4

Arlo
_________________________________________________________


I watched the clock on the register waiting anxiously for five o'clock to roll around. I had six more minutes at work, it was Friday, and I had the weekend off.

“Arlo,” Jenny said, coming in with the mail, “There's something here for you.” I took the envelope from the tiny blonde and thanked her before excusing myself into the office. It was from the LUSH offices in Vancouver. I tore open he envelope and removed the letter.

Ms. Holden, the letter began, we are pleased to inform you that you are being considered for the store manager position in our flagship store located in Vancouver! We appreciate all of your hard work and with this position comes greater input on our products and how we operate our stores. With this increase in responsibility also comes an increase in compensation as well as a company car. We are considering five managers including you and we will be flying you to Vancouver for the weekend of April 5th. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please feel free to contact Olivia in human resources. We can't wait to see you here!

Best wishes,
Daniel Murphy
LUSH CEO

“Wow,” I mumbled, shocked at the offer. I knew I was a good manager and that the sales of my store had increased three times since I’d been the manager, but I didn't know I was THAT good. I smiled, proud of myself. I tucked the letter in my purse and checked the time, it was five o'clock on the dot. I made sure everyone knew the tasks they had to accomplish before they went home and I grabbed my purse before exiting the store. I hailed a cab and kept an eye on the clock as the driver navigated through the rush hour traffic towards the airport. I bit nervously at my nail, instantly regretting it when I tasted soap. I'd been cutting soap nearly all day, we'd been busy which I liked because it made time go quickly. I unlocked my phone to see that I had a text, I hadn't felt my phone vibrate.

I just landed The text was from 5:15, it was now ten minutes later.

I'm on my way, I typed, traffic is so bad right now. The cabbie took a sharp left, mumbling to himself angrily.

I'll be here. :) Jared responded. He had an unexpected weekend off and he'd asked if he could come see me for the weekend so we could see how things were between us in person. I was full of nervous excitement.

When I finally reached the airport, I asked the cab driver if he could wait for us. He agreed and I headed into the airport to the baggage claim to meet Jared. I saw him first, he was sitting in one of the many chairs, his 6'4 frame looking cramped as he focused on his phone. I took a deep breath before willing myself to begin walking towards him, his eyes flicked up and he smiled when he spotted me.

“Hey,” He grinned, opening his arms for a hug as he stood. I walked into his arms, butterflies stirring in my stomach as he engulfed me and returned his hug.

“Hi,” I replied, “How was your flight?” We pulled away from one another, Jared grabbed his suitcase and we made our way through the throngs of people. Jared reached out and took my hand in his, ensuring we wouldn't get separated by the crowd of travelers.

“It was good,” He said, “but I'm glad it's over and I'm here.” We stepped outside and I lead him down to where the cab sat.

“This is us,” I said pointing to the car. The driver popped the trunk so Jared could put his suitcase in before he folded himself into the backseat.

“Where to?” The driver asked us. Jared told him the name of the hotel he'd gotten a room at and we were off.

“How was work?” Jared asked, looking over at me. I looked up at him, having a hard time believing that just a few months ago we'd bumped into each other at the Dallas airport.

“It was busy,” I answered, looking down at his large hands and willing myself to slip my hand back into his. He smiled and laced his fingers with mine, “But it was good. I haven't changed yet,” I was dressed in the required all black, “So if I smell like a bunch of different stuff, I’m sorry. It can be overwhelming.” I realized how awkward I sounded and stopped talking.

“You smell good,” Jared said, “Don't worry about it.” I blushed at his compliment and ran my thumb over his.

“How's filming going?”

“It's good, I've had some late nights the last few days,” He answered, not taking his eyes off of me, “Of course, you know that. Are you hungry?”

“A little,” I answered.

“I was thinking we could go to dinner and then if you want, we could go see a movie,” Jared said, giving me a warm smiled.

“Are you asking me on a date?” I responded, feeling bubbly.

“Yeah,” He nodded, “That's what I'm doing.”

“Sounds good to me,” I beamed as the cab came to a stop outside the very nice looking hotel.

“Alright, love birds,” The cabby said, “It's gonna be $23.88, today.”

“Actually,” I said, “I need to go somewhere else,” I looked to Jared, “I have to get ready. I can't go on a date looking like this.”

He smiled, “What time would you like me to come get you?”

“I can meet you here,” I offered, worried that it would be awkward to have Jared at the apartment I still shared with Austin.

“I want to pick you up,” He insisted with a grin, “What time?”

“How about seven?” I asked, calculating how long it would take me to get ready and leaving a little extra time so I could be waiting outside for him.

“Okay,” He started, “text me your address and I'll see you at seven.” Jared leaned into the backseat to peck me on the cheek, making me grin foolishly.

“See ya,” I blushed as he pulled away and closed the car door. I directed the driver to my apartment.

_________________________________________________________


When I got home Austin was parked on the couch, immersed in a game. He mumbled a hello as I hurried past him through my bedroom and into my bathroom. I hopped in the shower and finished in record time; I moved on to blow drying my hair into loose, smooth waves. I applied my makeup, trying to keep it simple I opted neutral eye shadow with winged liner for a tiny bit of flare and I skipped the lipstick. My last stop in putting myself together was my closet where I tried on nearly everything I owned before ultimately deciding on a soft, pale blue, tea length dress, a white and beige cardigan, and nude heels. I checked myself out in the full length mirror that hung on the back of my bedroom door, twirling back and forth, satisfied with my appearance.

I stepped out into the living room and Austin looked up from his game, pausing the action on the t.v.

“You look nice,” He smiled sweetly, letting his eyes wander over me. I mumbled a thank you before reading a text from Jared telling me he was on his way, “Going somewhere special?”

I debated my answer for a moment while I dropped my phone and keys into my purse.

“A date,” I answered, walking through the kitchen to the front door, determined to meet Jared at the curb.

“With that guy?” He questioned, stopping me. I turned with my hand on the door knob, about to answer when there was a knock from the other side of the wood. My heart rate spiked as I exhaled slowly and pulled the door open. Jared stood there, looking handsome in a sea glass blue button down, deliciously tight jeans, and deep brown boots. He held a dozen roses in his hand and his face held a grin.

“Hi,” He greeted me, his eyes going over me in the same way Austin's had, but taking more time, “You look amazing.”

“So do you,” I returned, a smile plastered on my face.

“For you,” He handed me the roses, which were my favorite.

“They're beautiful, thank you,” I took the flowers and then realized I would have to put the flowers in a vase and couldn't leave him standing outside. I mentally cursed and invited Jared inside while Austin looked on.

“Hey,” Austin said, standing up from the couch.

“Hello,” Jared returned. I noticed as I dug around under the sink for a vase that both of their voices were gruffer. Austin approached Jared with his hand out.

“Austin,” He introduced himself.

“Jared,” Jared replied, shaking hands with Austin who was a few inches shorter and not nearly as muscled. The awkwardness of the situation made me want to crawl into the cupboard and hide. I hurried up and got my flowers situated before they could say anything else to one another.

“Okay,” I piped in, “All set.”

“Let's get going, then,” Jared said warmly to me, acting as though Austin wasn't standing two feet away from him. He put a hand on my back and guided me in front of him, but not before I saw the look of animosity exchanged between the two men.

_________________________________________________________


Dinner was wonderful, our conversation flowed like it always did when we were on the phone. I had been nervous that we would have clumsy silences, but my worries vanished as feelings of comfort and ease set in. After dinner we decided to walk down to the theater instead of taking a cab, our fingers were laced together as we made our way through the Friday night crowds. Jared was telling me about how excited he was to become an uncle in a few months when we arrived at the movies. He held the door for me as we entered the crowded lobby and began trying to decide on a movie. Once we'd picked we got in line to purchase tickets and resumed our conversation.

“Do they have names picked out, yet?” I asked, our hands still clasped, I rubbed my thumb lightly over his.

“Jacobi Dexter,” Jared said looking down at me.

“Unique,” I smiled, “I like it.”

“He'll be the only Jacobi in his class,” He smirked, “Are you-”

“Ohmigod,” interrupted Jared, both of us looking over to the source, “It IS you!”

The two girls standing to our right looked to be sixteen or seventeen, they were both looking at Jared with intense admiration as one of them fumbled around with her camera.

“Would you take a picture with us?” The second girl asked, “We're b-big fans.”

“Huge,” The first girl nodded.

“Sure,” Jared smiled, slipping his hand out of mine, “What are your names?”

“Ashley,” The first girl said.

“I-i'm Lindsey,” The second replied.

“It's nice to meet you,” Jared said, giving each of them a hug. By now other movie goers were looking at this scene unfolding. I awkwardly got out of line, standing there while Jared chatted with his fans for a few minutes before Lindsey shoved her camera at me.

“Take our picture!” She beamed, placing herself beside Jared. He had an arm around either of them, he smiled widely and both of the girls had humungous grins fixed on their faces.

“Take two in case the first didn't turn out!” Ashley exclaimed. I counted to three before snapping another picture and handing the camera over.

“What movie are you going to see?” Lindsey asked, looking from Jared to me before gasping, “Are you on a date!”

“Lindsey, you can't just ask him if he's on a date!” Ashley sounded appalled.

“We haven't decided, ladies,” Jared said, his arm found it's way around my waist, “You have a goodnight and thank you for watching the show.”

“Thanks for the picture, Jared!” Lindsey said. Jared and I made our way out of the lobby with just about everyone looking on and murmuring amongst themselves, those who didn't know wondering who exactly Jared was.

“Does that happen a lot?” I asked once we were back on the street.

“Sometimes,” Jared said, “I'm sorry about that.” I nodded, knowing it wasn't like he could just walk away from his fans, but still slightly irritated, “I can't exactly blend in.”

“Yeah,” I accepted, but feeling a little uneasy.

“We could try a different theater, if you'd like,” Jared offered, “I just didn't want them to follow us into the movie.”

“Maybe we could just walk for a while?” I offered, “I think there's a concert in the park tonight.”

“We can check it out,” He nodded, “Lead the way.”

_________________________________________________________


The concert was five different local bands performing for free in Central Park in front of the pond. Jared and I were standing near some trees, him behind me with his arms looped around my waist, when the third band came on. They were an 80's cover band, performing the biggest hits of the decade, the singer informed the crowd.

“Any Springsteen fans out here?” The singer asked, getting some cat calls from the on lookers, “Good, youse guys can sing along then, this is Dancing in the Dark.”

“This is a good one,” I murmured to Jared as the band began to play the classic song.

“I've heard it before,” he said, leaning down closer to my level, “You like Bruce Springsteen?”

“Mhm,” I nodded, “My parents had a thing for him too.”

“You could have ended up named Bruce,” He joked, making me chuckle and lean back against his chest. We listened as the band played, “You gonna sing along?”

“No,” I smirked to myself.

“Don't be shy, now,” He whispered sweetly.

“Have I been shy?” I asked, turning a bit to look at him.

“A little,” He replied, “I remember you saying you were going to kiss me when you saw me.”

“I don't remember that,” I blushed, knowing full and well that I had, in fact, said that. I mustered up the courage to face him completely, his arms remained around my waist.

“I think you do,” Jared leaned down a bit, our noses nearly touching. I tipped my chin up and pressed my lips against his as my heart was beating wildly in my chest. Our kiss was sweet and lingering and it made me forget about what had happened earlier at the theater. We pulled away and he looked me in the eyes for a moment before pecking my lips again.

Jared
_________________________________________________________


Arlo was sleeping against my chest as the taxi wound it's way through the streets back to the apartment she shared with her ex. I had my arm around her as she mumbled softly against my shirt, my stomach in knots at the idea of her going back to her place. Was I jealous? No. Arlo said there was nothing going on between them, I believed her. Did I trust him? Nope. I'd offered to help her get her own place, but she'd refused not wanting to take any money from me.

“Here we are,” The driver said as we came to a stop.

“Arlo,” I said softly, brushing her long hair back from her face, “Wake up, honey.” She stirred, lifting her head from my chest and taking in her surroundings.

“Here already?” She asked before yawning, “I'm sorry I fell asleep.”

“It's alright,” I returned as she opened the door and climbed out, I followed after her to walk her up to her door.

“Thank you again for dinner,” She smiled, “And a great time.”

“My pleasure,” I said as she slipped herself into my arms and hugged me tightly.

“I'm so glad you came to visit,” She looked up at me and I took the opportunity to kiss her again.

“Me too,” I said once we'd pulled apart, “I'll see you tomorrow, get some sleep.”

“Goodnight, Jared.” She said before leaving my arms and going into the apartment. I walked back to the taxi, still waiting at the curb, and took one last look at the apartment building, seeing Austin looking at me through the large living room window. We made eye contact and I set my jaw, giving him a look of disdain.

“You comin', buddy?”

Austin turned away from the window and I got into the car, trying to figure out a way to get Arlo to let me help her get her own place.
♠ ♠ ♠
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJ26h_cBqQ
^^this is the song mentioned in the story. i hope you enjoyed the update, feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you think! :D

outfits:
Arlo||Jared