Status: In-Progress

Georgia's Heat

Two Months Before

Georgia's Heat

Reedus-lover3

(Slightly AU in the beginning but will settle itself out when the outbreak happens)

** Present Time **

"... Please remain in a secured shelter away from any infected persons. Reinforcements will be sent to all safe zones in the following areas: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Veg-" Daryl leaned over and punched the power button on the radio, effectively shutting the robotic voice off.

"Load of bull." Daryl muttered as his hands tightened on the steering wheel. "Ain't no one coming to help." I didn't say anything, my eyes filled with tears at the thought of my dead sister and nephew. "Jules?" My head snapped up to see Daryl staring at me. "Ya' alright?" I shook my head as a sob wracked my body. "Fuck. Come 'ere." His arms wrapped around me, pulling me to him as I sobbed loudly. "Shh."

"They're all dead..." I screamed out and Daryl gripped me tighter to his chest. This was a rare side of him, he never really enjoyed comforting people and hated contact with anyone.

"Jules..." One of his hands wound up in my hair and he sighed. "It's gonna be okay. Shh."

** Two Months Ago **

"Willy!" I squealed and picked up the small boy into my arms, spinning up around with a smile. "How's my favorite boy?"

"Good, Auntie Jules!" Willy grinned with one of his front teeth missing. He was turning six today and had lost his first tooth about a week ago. I sat the boy on the ground and looked at him with a confused face.

"Why am I here again?" I questioned.

"For my birthday!"

"Are you sure? Because I thought I was here to see your momma." His face dropped.

"Auntie Jules!" He whined with a sad look, his lip quivering. Leaning into my car I picked up a white box and showed it to him.

"Surprise! You thought I'd forget about your birthday, little man!"

"Nuh uh! What is it?!" His hands went to grab the box but I pulled it back in time.

"Look." I opened the top to reveal a small cake with chocolate frosting on top. "I made it just for you."

"For real?"

"Yes, for real!" I laughed and let the small child lead me towards the small, one story house. It was situated in the middle of a forest off an unmapped road in Georgia. Surrounding the house was many large trees, a shallow creek and mountains in the distance. My smile dropped, though, when we entered the kitchen to hear shouting. My sister, Jane, and her husband of six years, Daryl, were shouting at each others faces. They quieted down when they saw their son bound inside with me following.

"Hey, Jules." Jane forced a smile and I sat the cake on the counter.

"Hey, bud, why don't you go play in the creek? I'll be out in a minute." I suggested to Willy and the child rushed from the house with a happy smile. I turned to the two and gave them a glare. "Why don't you keep your fights down today. Willy deserves a good birthday, and having you two fighting isn't gonna help." I left afterwords, not caring to hear their excuses. It was no surprise that they were fighting, they had been for a couple months but I had no idea what their fights consisted of. Willy was splashing around the creek when I found him, his hands moving around and a smile on his face. I grinned and slipped my boots off my feet to stick my feet in the cool water. It was a nice feeling, the cold water between my toes on the hot summer day. Georgia's summers were hot and usually lasted long into October.

"Momma and Daddy are fightin' again." Willy's southern drawl made me come out of my thoughts. That little boy was becoming just like his father. Daryl was a rough and hardened Southern man with the whole drawl and hunting thing going for him.

He had met my sister through me about seven years ago when I was twenty-five and she was twenty-seven. I was working in a diner, a shitty one at that, and met Daryl there. He was my customer and was probably the only nice one at that, only because he didn't try to grope me. He was thirty at the time, unmarried and seemingly indifferent to women. I didn't think anything about his presence since I had been swamped with customers but I did treat him politely. For the next couple weeks Daryl had came into the restaurant nearly twice a week and always asked to have me as his waitress if I was there- which I usually was. We had became good friends, despite him not really wanting to talk about himself. After a couple months I invited him to dinner with my sister and I and they immediately hit off. Of course I was jealous that my sister was into the only guy that had shown interest in me. Ignoring how I felt, I let my sister and Daryl go on with their relationship and soon enough Jane got pregnant. I remember crying for hours that night. When they had Willy six years ago I loved him to death, he was such a cute little boy. After he was born I had given up the idea that Daryl would ever choose me over Jane and their baby. They got married soon after the birth and moved away to a nice, secluded house while I stayed single and alone. Not long ago I had met Paul, my current boyfriend. He was nice and sweet but he had shown his dark side not long into the relationship. He hit me constantly when he came home from work, when he was upset and stressed. I hid my bruises well from my sister and Daryl, but once and awhile they would notice one that rested openly.

"Don't worry, bud." I rubbed Willy's back and gave him a smile. "How would you like it if you stayed at my house for a few days?"

"Really?"

"If your momma and daddy say it's alright." I gave a laugh. I knew it was risky taking Willy over to my house since Paul would be home later. But I knew that Paul wouldn't hit me in front of someone else, especially Willy.

"Willy! Julia! Dinner!" Willy spun around at Jane's voice and rushed from the creek towards the house. I took my time, taking my feet out of the water and grabbing my boots so I could walk across the grass. When I entered the house I was surprised to see Daryl actually dressed in a black button up shirt, he usually hated wearing sleeves.

"You clean up nice." I joked to him as I sat at the table next to him.

"Jane made me." Daryl grumbled as he unbuttoned a few buttons, scratching his neck. Jane and Willy entered the kitchen and I immediately saw that my sister had changed. She had changed into short, v-neck plum colored dress with black heels and some fancy bracelets. I felt somewhat dressed down in my floral summer dress and worn out boots.

"Thanks for coming over, Jules." Jane smoothed out her dress as she sat down across from Daryl and I. "Where's Paul?" My grip tightened on my fork and I gave a smile.

"Working." I shrugged and then changed the topic. "I was wondering if Willy could stay with me for a tonight? I thought it'd be nice."

"Sure. That's okay, right Daryl?" Jane asked, not even glancing at her husband.

"Suppose." He shrugged and stuffed some pasta in his mouth. "You'd like that, bud, wouldn't ya?"

"Yes, sir." Willy mumbled with his mouth full of food.

"I'll bring him back tomorrow afternoon. Are you going to be home?" I asked Daryl, moving my food around.

"Yeah." Daryl nodded and then I saw him glance at my shoulder, his eyes narrowing. "How'd ya get that?" His hand moved out and touched my shoulder, making me flinch.

"Uhm, oh... I tripped and landed on my shoulder. Don't worry bout it."

"That don't look like nothing, Jules."

"If she says it's nothing, then it's nothing." Jane snapped, her voice angry.

"Ya really gonna start something?" Daryl hissed back, glancing at Willy and I.

"I have a problem with you always caring about her more than me."

"This again?" Again?

"I'm gonna cut the cake. Come on, Willy." I grabbed the boy's hand and drug him to the kitchen while Daryl and Jane started fighting. Willy had a sad face as he listened to his parents yell at each other, his little eyes tearing up. "Willy, you get the big piece!" I happily said as I cut out a large portion of the chocolate cake and sat it in front of him. I was trying to be somewhat happier for him so he didn't feel so bad about his parents.

"Thank you." Willy smiled and dug his fork in it.

"Your welcome." I rubbed Willy's shoulder. "We'll pack later so you can come over."

"Will Paul be there?" I sighed at his question.

"Maybe." I heard the shouting stop and I knew they were in their silent phase. The one where they practically ignored each other and didn't talk unless needed. Daryl entered the kitchen with his shirt unbuttoned all the way, revealing his tattooed chest and toned body. "Everything alright?"

"No." Daryl admitted as he opened the fridge and took a beer out. Cracking it open, he leaned against the counter and watched Willy eat his cake. "You don' mind takin' him tonight, right? I don't want to drop 'im on ya."

"Nah, he is excited for it."

"Is Paul gonna be there?"

"Not sure. He usually goes to his house if he's late at work." I nervously rubbed at my shoulder and Daryl watched my action.

"Wanna tell me the truth about that bruise?"

"I already did."

"Come on, Julia. I ain't stupid." I didn't answer him because Jane walked in with an angry face.

"I think it's time for you to go, Julia." Jane harshly said. "Willy can go too." I nodded at my fuming sister and let her take Willy upstairs.

"Did I do something?" I whispered to Daryl.

"She's jus' pissed off at me." He gave a shrug. "She thinks that 'cause we're married means I can't care bout ya." I nodded and moved to grab Willy's empty plate to wash it. "Jules..." He sighed.

"It's fine. She just loves you, she cares."

"I suppose." We grew silent, the only sounds were the sound of the sink as I washed the plate. Willy came down about five minutes later with a small bag and grinned at me.

"Auntie Jules, I'm ready!" I smiled and picked up the boy.

"Bye, guys." I shouted as I took Willy to the car. "So, whatcha' wanna do tonight? Watch movies?"

"Yeah!" Willy squealed as I buckled him into his car seat.

Paul hadn't come over yet and I was grateful for that. I liked having alone time, usually Paul came home stressed after work which meant he hurt me. After putting Willy's bags away and making him change into some comfortable clothes, I popped in a child's movie for him. We sat together on the couch, laughing at certain scenes and chatting happily.

"Auntie Jules, I love you." Willy leaned over and wrapped his stubby arms around me.

"Oh, I love you too, bud." I kissed his forehead. "How bout-" The door slammed open to reveal Paul stomping in. He threw his briefcase to the ground and started mumbling. "Paul?" I stood up and Willy automatically did too, his body half hid by mine.

"What?!" He shouted, making me flinch. "Jesus, why didn't you tell me you brought the kid home?"

"It was last minute. I didn't think you'd come over tonight, you said you had a big case."

"Yeah, well, you could have called." Paul threw his jacket off and glared at me. "You never think about me, do you?"

"Willy, go to your room and shut the door." I gave the boy a small smile and pushed him gently away.

"I had a horrible day at work and I have to come home to this? Where the hell is my dinner?"

"Don't blame anything on Willy, he is a nice kid!" I yelled back at him, glancing over to see Willy slowly making his way to his room. "Willy, go!" I ground out and turned back to Paul. "You are so inconsiderate! And rude... Coming in here and yelling at me and Willy. You can make your own dinner, I ate at my sister's house." Paul walked towards me with an angry face. I knew I was fueling the fire but the way he was acting in front of Willy was wrong. "I honestly can't stand you right now-" I was cut off by Paul slapping me, hard. My head flew to the side and I grasped my cheek, feeling the blood trickle from a small cut. "Paul!"

"Auntie Jules!" Willy screamed, his eyes wide in fear. Had he seen that?

"Willy, come on, let's go to bed." I ushered the boy into the guest room and locked the door.

"Auntie... he hit you!"

"Sh, Willy, he didn't mean it. You have to promise me something." I knelt down next to the crying boy and held his shoulders. "You can't tell your momma or daddy. You have to promise me." Willy nodded and sniffled. "Come on, time for bed. I'll take you home tomorrow." I tucked the small boy in the bed and then went to the en suite bathroom to clean my cut and see the damage. My eye and part of my cheek was bruised and swelling, the cut was right on my cheek bone. Damn. Cleaning up and sighing, I went and climbed in the bed with my nephew. Sleep came easily and I didn't wake up until ten the next morning.