Status: In-Progress

Georgia's Heat

Bedtime Story

Willy had eaten his breakfast quickly because he was scared Paul would come home, but I knew he wouldn't. Paul worked from seven till seven every day, maybe even later since he was a lawyer at a huge firm. Willy and I packed all of his stuff and I put on large sunglasses to hide my black eye and cut, I couldn't risk Jane or Daryl finding out. The ride to Daryl and Jane's house was quiet and quick, Willy was so terrified from last night that he wasn't even talking to me. I guess he'd never be coming back over. Jane's car was gone which meant she was at work, she was a nurse in a small hospital and worked seven to seven on her work days. Daryl usually stayed home with Willy or went hunting and sold big game for money. As soon as I parked the car, Willy was out of the car and running inside. I grabbed his stuff and entered the small home to find Willy hugging his dad's legs.
“What's wrong, bud?” Daryl asked and leaned down to his son, concerned, but Willy just buried his head into Daryl's chest.
“He had a nightmare last night.” I told him and he glanced up at me and nodded. “Been scared all morning.”
“It's alright, bud.” Daryl picked his son up. “Daddy's here to save ya. Thanks for watchin' him, gave me and Jane time to talk shit out.”
“Ya'll work anything out?” I asked him.
“Nah, just got in 'nother fight.”
“I'm sorry.” I looked down at the ground, my sunglasses making everything around me seem darker than normal.
“Why don' you stay for little bit?”
“I have to go.” I didn't want to have to have a reason to take my glasses off.
“Jules...” Daryl went to grab me but I flinched away.
“I have shopping to do. See you, Willy.” I waved to them and left in a hurry, knowing Daryl was confused. I was so conflicted. Tears fell from my eyes as I drove home, the salty water stinging my cut. When I got back to my house I sat on the couch and iced my eye, hoping to make the swelling go away. I stayed like that for hours, falling asleep and waking up to Paul coming home.
He was quieter this time and barely made a sound. I heard him sit on the coffee table in front of me, his breathing ragged.
“Jules,” he began, “I'm sorry. I really am, honey.” I just kept my eyes closed, not wanting to talk to him. “Please... talk to me.” I lifted the ice pack off my eye and let him see what he had done.
“You always do this Paul.” I whispered. “You hit me, kick me... then you apologize to me, say you aren't going to do it again. Then you do.”
“Trust me. I won't.” His hands grabbed my face and I flinched.
“I can't.”
“Jules.” His hands gripped my face tighter. “Look at me, damnit!” I moved away and tried to escape from his grasp. “Can't you just listen to me!? I'm trying to apologize!” His hands grabbed my wrists and painfully pulled me to him.
“You're hurting me! Let go!” I shouted at him, trying to take my wrists back. “You lie! You always do! Look!” His eyes grew angry and I was preparing for the hit when a loud knocking sounded and I glanced at the door. “I'll get it.” Hurrying to the door I opened the door to find Daryl standing on the other side, his face red with anger. “What are you doing here?” I asked and saw his jaw clench.
“Your face.” He muttered and I remembered I hadn't hidden it. Daryl's eyes darkened and I saw his hands clench.
“It's okay, I'm clumsy.”
“You wanna know what Will told me? After ya left he kept cryin' so I asked bout his nightmare and he said ya lied. Said Paul hit you. I see it's true.” Daryl shoved past me and into the living room where Paul was. “Heard the yellin' too.”
“Why are you here? Julia?” I heard Paul question, his voice tired. He had never liked Daryl and Daryl hated him. I entered the living room with my head down.
“Daryl, it's okay. He didn't mean it.” I tried to reason with the angry redneck but he wouldn't have any of it.
“Ya prick! Ya find it fun to hit women?” Daryl shot out at Paul who looked equally angry. “What makes ya think ya can raise a hand to Julia, huh? I'm gonna show ya what it feels like to be hit.” Daryl grabbed Paul's shirt collar and shoved him against the wall. “Ya like this? Ya like bein' on the other end?” Daryl began punching Paul and I grabbed Daryl's elbow.
“Stop!” I screamed. “Daryl, leave him be!”
“Leave him be?! Leave him be! He fucking hit ya! Is that where ya got that bruise on your shoulda'? How bout the other ones?”
“Stop!” I cried out, tears falling down my face. “Please.”
“Get ya shit.”
“What?” I asked, confused.
“Ya ain't stayin' here anymore.”
“I can't do that. Just leave, Daryl.” I pleaded. “Paul was just tired and upset.”
“That is no goddamn excuse to hit ya! Get ya shit, now.” I flinched away and quickly made my way to my bedroom and packed my stuff. I heard Paul trying to plead with Daryl but I ignored the two men and piled clothes in my bag and grabbed some other things. When I reentered the living room I saw Paul on the ground with blood running down his face and Daryl glaring at him.
“Julia, please-” Paul went to say something but Daryl kicked his leg, hard.
“Ya don't get to talk to her!” Daryl snarled and gently took my arm and led me to the door. “Give me your key.” He ordered me and I handed him my key chain, watching him rip my key off the hook. Throwing it at Paul, Daryl slammed the door shut and took me to his truck.
“What the hell, Daryl!?” I shouted.
“Ya sayin' tha' to me?” He looked confused. “He fuckin' touched ya, hit ya.” His eyes grew sad.
“I can handle it. He just gets stressed, no problem.”
“They all say tha'.” Daryl grew quiet as he buckled himself in the truck and started the engine up. Daryl had once told me about how mean his father was, and that when he got angry, he would throw some punches around. He didn't go into detail but I got the just. When we were on the main road I turned to look at Daryl and all the tears came out and I saw him stiffen. “Wha'?” He asked, one of his hands touching my knee.
“T-thank you...” I sobbed quietly, now realizing he was just trying to help me.
“Ya welcome.” He squeezed my knee and then put his hand back on the wheel, sighing. “Jane knows. I told her.” I nodded, wiped my tears and looked over at the rugged man. “How long has it gone on, Jules?”
“Couple months.” I mumbled and Daryl's hand slammed on the dashboard, angry. “I'm sorry!”
“Fuck.” Was all he said and he pulled off on the side of the deserted road, glaring at the darkened area.
“What are you-” He pulled me into a bone crushing hug, making me flinch. That only made him angrier. I was shocked because he was never one for showing emotion except anger.
“I should 'ave known.” He mumbled into my hair. “God damn...”
“It's not your fault, it's mine.”
“Shut the fuck up.” He murmured and pulled me closer. “Ya always hide what's happenin' in ya life.”
“What's that suppose to mean?” I pulled back but he ignored me, kissing my forehead and then starting the truck. “Daryl?”
“Nothing, don' worry bout it.” He pulled back onto the road, his eyes intently focused on the road. I leaned my head against the cold glass, relieved when it hit my cut and bruise, soothing it. When Daryl turned down the dirt road that led back into his and Jane's house I stiffened. Jane was sitting on the porch with Willy in her lap, soothing him while he watched his dad's truck pull up. Parking and turning the key off, Daryl turned to look at me with a soft look. “Ya safe now.” He muttered and gripped my hand before exiting the truck and catching Willy in his arms. His son had been running towards him when he had parked, a slower Jane coming closer. I grabbed my suitcases with a sigh and kept my head down. Daryl and Willy had already made their way inside the house when Jane stood in front of me.
“You're really stupid, you know that?” Was what she said, making my head snap up to look at her. “You are a stupid bitch.”
“Jane-” I was going to defend myself when she put a hand up, making me flinch.
“You put my son in fucking danger.” Her eyes narrowed. “You let him into your house knowing that Paul was an abusive bastard. Willy could have been hurt!”
“Paul had told me he wasn't going to be home! He had a fucking case.” I hissed back, trying not to be loud. “I would never put your son in danger! I love him!”
“What would mama and daddy say, Julia?” She snapped and my jaw clenched.
“Nothing, Jane, because they are dead. They died and now they can't say anything about nothing!” Her hand came out to slap me, making me flinch back and tears to enter my eyes. She saw my immediate fear and froze, her eyes going wide and her hand going to her mouth.
“Julia-” She tried to apologize but I put a hand up and looked away. She nodded slightly, moving away towards the house where I heard Daryl asking her something. Soon yelling started and I heard my names being shouted a few times, making me nervous. I threw my suitcases down and climbed into the bed of Daryl's truck, laying back to stare at the stars. I heard a tap on the side of the truck, making me jolt but I relaxed when I saw Daryl peering down at me. Lifting himself up, he laid down next to me and put his hand on mine, giving it a squeeze.
“She told me I was stupid.” I mumbled, not bothering to look at the man I had been in love with for nearly eight years.
“She didn't mean it.” Daryl tried to counter.
“You know her, Dar, she did.” I shut my eyes and wiped a tear away. “Why aren't you pissed at me?”
“I am, but I know ya were scared.” Daryl sighed. “I know how it feels.” I nodded and curled into his side, feeling his arm wrap around me. These were the times I liked. Daryl would always be affection, just in his own way. He was practically a teddy bear but I would never tell him that, he'd probably get pissed. “Jane just doesn' understand, JJ.” The nickname made me open my eyes and glance at the hunter with a smirk.
“Didn't think you called me that anymore.” I laughed lightly. He had started calling me JJ when he learned my middle name was Joanna, so he nicknamed me JJ. He had been calling me that for nearly six years but stopped when Jane would give him murderous looks. My sister was always jealous of our relationship, she was scared he'd choose me but I knew he wouldn't. He loved her, not me.
“Course I do.” He ruffled my hair. “Come on, let's get ya inside. Must be tired...” He sat up and looked down at me with a small smile. “Willy wants ta see ya.”
“He does?” I said surprised, and then I looked away. I was sure that he would be scared of me.
“I explained what Paul did ta ya...” Anger flooded his voice. “Willy wanted to make sure ya were okay.” I grinned, that little boy always made my day.
“I love that kid.”
“I know.” His voice sounded funny but I ignored it and sat up, and ruffled Daryl's hair.
“Shall we?” I asked in a posh British accent, holding out my elbow for him.
“Ya are such a fucking weird person...” Daryl grumbled but linked his arm with mine and grabbed my suitcases for me. If I couldn't have him love me romantically, I would settle with him loving me as a friend.

One and a Half Months Later

“News has just come in about many diseased people eating others.” I stared at the TV, confused and saw Willy nearly spill his cereal on the couch. “It seems that this infection is caused by a bite from another infected person. We suggest that everyone stays put inside until further notice. Military reinforcements will be sent into to all big, metropolitan areas to make safe camps. Please stay tuned and wait for further notice.” I turned to Willy who was sitting there with a slack jaw.
“Will?” I questioned, quickly taking his milk filled bowl before he spilled it again. “Honey?”
“My mom... dad... they're both out there!” Willy exclaimed.
“Sh, sh, calm down.” I shushed him. “I will call both your parents, make sure they're okay.”
“Auntie Jules.” His lip quavered.
“Willy, why don't you go to your room. Play with your toys? I'll handle everything.” He nodded, hesitant, and moved towards the stairs. Once he was out of sight I let out a shaky whimper. How could this even be possible. Deciding on calling Jane first since she would actually have her phone turned on, I reached for the telephone.
“Hello, Piedmont Hospital, how may I direct your call?” The woman seemed flustered and that made me panic even more.
“I need to speak with Jane Dixon, it's urgent.”
“Can I ask who is speaking?”
“It's her sister, Julia.”
“One moment.” The loud beeping tone made me realize I was now on hold. Angrily rubbing my forehead, I tapped my foot.
“Piedmont Hospital, Psych Ward.” A new voice said.
“Hi, I need to speak with Jane Dixon. It's urgent.” I was now worried, all I wanted was to talk to my sister. “It's her sister.”
“One moment.” Huffing, I heard some shuffling and then an annoyed sigh.
“What do you need Julia? I'm kinda busy.” Jane asked in a mean tone. She hadn't changed much since I moved in, it seemed like she was even more mean to me. She didn't trust me much either, even though she didn't say that to my face. She hated leaving me with Willy but she didn't have a choice since Daryl was gone out hunting most of the time.
“Willy wanted me to call.”
“Is he okay? What did you do!?” She was louder now, her voice full of rage.
“Fuck you!” I hissed. “We were watching the news and heard about those people eating each other. He was fucking worried about you, so don't you dare think I did anything to your son.” She grew quiet, regretting her words.
“I'm sorry.” She whispered.
“I'll tell him you're fine. Have a wonderful day.” I hung up and chucked the phone at the wall, my anger at it's high.
“You okay?” I heard Daryl's deep voice ask from the doorway. I let out a sigh of relief.
“Oh thank god, you're okay!” I put my hands on my face, my eyes welling with tears.
“What's wrong?” He walked closer, taking my arms and making me move my hands from my eyes. “JJ?”
“People are eating each other, Daryl. It was on the news... Will and I were worried.”
“The fuck?” He questioned and I turned the TV back on, the same news lady was still talking about the infection. A video clip showed a stumbling man tearing into an innocent woman, her screams echoing in the silent house. “Where's Willy?”
“His room. He was scared and I didn't want him watching the TV.” Daryl nodded. “Jane's okay.” I mumbled and he nodded again, taking my hand and pulling me towards Willy's room. The small boy was messing around with fake arrows he had received for his birthday.
“Will?” Daryl called out lightly and Willy snapped his head up to look at his father. “Buddy, I 'eard ya were scared.”
“Dad!” Willy jumped into his father with a worried look. “Auntie Jules and I were watchin' TV and it said something about people eating each other!”
“It's okay, bud.” Daryl picked up his son like he weighed nothing and sat him against his hip. “We'll be fine. We just gotta be careful.” Willy nodded. “Why don't ya take a nap? Ya look worn out.” Daryl suggested and Willy gave a sigh.
“You and mom woke me last night... yelling.” I saw Daryl's eyes go down in guilt and I sighed.
“Hey, Willy? How bout I read you a story and then you can sleep? Like old times?” I cut in.
“Sure.” He gave me a smile as his father sat him down on the bed. Willy went to the middle of the bed and I climbed into the bed next to him, my back against a wall. “Alright-”
“Wait, I want dad to listen too.” I saw Daryl turn around in shock at his sons words.
“Really?” Daryl asked, a small smile on his lips.
“Please?” Willy begged and Daryl climbed into the bed on the other side, wrapping his arm around Willy and I. A smile graced my lips and I began the story, putting my hand on Daryl's that rested on my hip.
♠ ♠ ♠
There ya go!