Letters to Radke

The Letters

"Ronnie,
Hi, it's me again. I bought your new merch for your new single. I absolutely love it. In the last letter, I told you about how my parents are avoiding each other? Well, they're getting divorced now. Next month actually. My brother finally moved out. Today, I signed up for the school talent show. I know, it sounds BEYOND cheesy but I'm willing to give it a go. Also, I've finally got my hands on a 1974 electric! I plan on playing it at the talent show. What else? Oh, my birthday's approaching and fast. 17 going on 18. Hahahaha get my reference? School's rough like always. I got detention for my piercings. I did them myself and I'm pretty damn proud of them. Remember my friend, Carlos? He's the senior that I hang out with. Well, he's leaving this year. Early too. He's heading to England to study abroad. Yesterday, I cut again. My wrists feel numb and I have to keep hiding them. I hate what I'm doing to myself, but it takes my mind off of things. I know I should stop. I'll try to stop. I plan on getting a tattoo tomorrow. I have an idea that might help my cutting problem. Get a tattoo each time I feel like I wanna hurt myself. Sounds brilliant right? I know you're just going to toss this letter in a bucket of others and not read this. It still feels nice to write to you. Thanks.
-SJ"

I sighed. These letters started coming from this kid three years ago. The first few were just about how he loved my music but as time passed by he started to talk about other things. SJ's letters either made me cry or smile. This one was a mixture of both. He had a vibe going on and I really looked forward to his letters. SJ was honest and gave me updates every other day. His life seemed like mine way back when I was in high school. Hearing it from him makes me a bit tingly.

I got up off my bed and pulled a box out of my closet. I put his letter in with all his others. I kept every letter he sent to me. With that I turned off my lights. It's already one in the morning and it was time for me to hit the hay.

Falling asleep I couldn't help but think about SJ. Images went through my head of what he looked like. I imagined him as this tall and cute guy. Before I knew it, my heart was fluttering. I was in love with him...a boy I haven't ever met...

I jumped out of bed, turned on my lamp, grabbed pencil and paper, and say back in my bed. I quickly began to write my letter back to him.