Status: the beginning. [on hiatus 'cause i'm rewriting this.]

Genesis

Prologue

“It’s her fault!”

Beetee sighs and removes his glasses. I’m too angry to regret what I said. The rage courses through my veins till they’re a singed mess and that just feeds my fury even more.

I wish Katniss Everdeen was here so I could throttle her. My fingers ache to be around her throat and it makes my temper flare even more to know it’ll be a millennium before I get the chance to take her out.

Snarling, I grip at the roots of my hair. I feel as if I’m truly losing my mind. Everything is pounding down on me from each side and I can’t get a breath in. My chest is being pushed on by something that’s invisible. I choose to pretend it’s the District Twelve ‘lovers’ because it makes me feel like I am actually in control.

If it weren’t them—if it were President Snow, then I am helpless. But if it’s the girl with the gangly braid and her blonde haired boyfriend, then I can stab them to death in the arena. I can get revenge for what’s being done to me and my friends, my family.

“Kara, calm down,” says Beetee gently.

I whirl around and glare. “No! I will not calm down! That stupid girl and her puppet boyfriend have sentenced us all to death!”

“No, no,” mumbles Wiress.

The other District Three Victor shuffles her way over slowly, till she’s at my shoulder, and then she threads her fingers through mine. She uses her free hand to push some hair away from collarbone before leaning in to peck my cheek.

“No, no, Kara,” she mutters.

I squeeze her hand while drawing in a deep breath through my nose. My system is still chaotic with wrath but I don’t want to frighten Wiress, and I shouldn’t be so disrespectful to Beetee. This isn’t his fault.

It’s Katniss Everdeen’s.

Now ashamed, I hang my head and move into Wiress’ warmth a little. I pick my gaze up off the floor to peak at Beetee. He’s just staring at me rather mournfully, but there is no anger in his aged face.

“I’m sorry,” I manage out.

I stroke Wiress’ hand while she starts to fiddle with my hair.

“I’m just… I don’t want any of us to go back in there. You’re my family.”

A sob nearly rockets out of my lips but I manage to swallow it back down. The tears, though, collect swiftly in my eyes and refuse to be blinked away. I let them fall.

“Don’t worry, Kara,” says Beetee, his voice low and deep. “We’ll all make it out.”

I keep my thoughts to myself. I let him bring me into his chest with Wiress tagging along behind me. Together, we wrap around each other.

In the back of my mind I promise myself that I will do everything I can to get them to the end. Once there, my plan evaporates. I don’t know which Careers have been reaped and of the other Victors, who will be joining us. I haven’t watched the Reaping film yet. But I know I have to try and do everything I can. Both Beetee and Wiress have aged considerably since their own Games. They won’t be as agile or able to adapt as quickly as before.

As for my own survival, I have no thoughts. I’m going back in with people who I’ve come to respect. But I know, if it comes down to them or me, it’ll be them. I’ll slaughter them to save my own hide. I admit that quietly and without shame or thinking about what will happen should it really come down to Beetee, Wiress and myself.