Status: Completed

Long Ago

One.

The girl's petite hand gripped the warm can of soda she had retrieved from the garage. She pattered up the stairs making as little noise as possible, so that she wouldn't awake the others.

He heard her begin to ascend the stairs, and he took a few steps forward to the edge of the room so he could see her. His eyes followed her as she went up each step.

The girl saw him out of the corner of her eye and glanced over at the boy standing in the kitchen. The two am moon danced across the floor and illuminated his face, he was wearing a dark sweatshirt with the hood pulled over his head and a pair of baggy shorts. A few messy stands of black hair were falling into his icy blue eyes as he looked up at her on the stairs. His eyes almost seemed sad, maybe even a little bit angry, but the girl couldn't quite tell.
They stood silently staring at one and other, each of them reminiscing about the times they had had together.

She could almost smell his cologne and feel his lips on hers.
She remembered his intoxicating touch, the way he spoke and how he loved the same music as her.
She remembered how they would talk for hours about nothing in particular and how he made her feel like everything was ok, no matter what was going on around her at the time.
The younger girl felt a pang of sadness in her chest as she thought about all of those memories. She still sometimes yearned for him, she missed each and every little detail about him.

His gaze was still lingering on her but she couldn't bear to look at him anymore. The girl turned away from his stare and continued up the stairs leaving him all alone almost like he had done to her that night, long ago.