Status: coming soon

Into the Woods

Red

Red made her way through the dark forests, her feet sure of themselves and her hood flying out behind her like a bright red banner. The pheasant and rabbit she had kept for herself and her grandmother flopped on her back as she moved, the gentle patting sound the only noise besides her feet.

She then slowed down before stopping, feeling like a pair of eyes were watching her. She stayed perfectly still, her brown eyes narrowed, before her bow flew up, an arrow at the ready in it, by the time she turned. She just waited, her heart hammering against her ribs as she watched for any sign of movement. It took all she had to keep her hand from shaking, her arrow steady, and her breathing normal as the thoughts of all the dark, dangerous things in these woods ran through her mind. She took a deep breath, telling herself that it was probably nothing more than a mouse, but one thought couldn’t leave her.

Werewolf.

Annabeth could believe what she wanted about the mythical beasts, but Eleanor knew they were out here, watching her. She never let her blonde friend enter the woods without at least a red flower in her hair, knowing the color protected them. Eleanor knew that they were just waiting for her to slip up, to go too far onto their hunting grounds where they would kill her. She feared an attack on the village, on the people she’d come to care about. Every time they voyaged further into the woods, they were risking being attacked.

Finally the branches snapping again tore Red from her thoughts as she narrowed her eyes, watching the bush as it finally moved apart to a dead deer, freshly killed. The corpse rolled into the center of the road, and it was cleanly killed, looking ready to be cooked and eaten. Her eyes moved back to the bush where they was more rustling and she finally found the courage to speak.

“Who’s there?” She whispered. A shadowy figure stepped out, his dark, curly hair matted and dirty as usual, his deep eyes locked on hers. He was handsome, even under all the dirt and scratches that littered his face and clothing. His jaw was tensed before he relaxed, a smirk taking over his plump lips. She lowered her bow, letting out a frustrated huff.

“Hello Eleanor.” He greeted. He then pulled out the hand he’d been keeping behind his back, a small pansy clasped between his fingers. She looked at it for a moment before her eyes flicked back to his. When he saw the scowl on her face, his smirk fell. “You don’t like it?”

“What are you doing out here alone Tyler?” She demanded. “Were you following me?”

“No.” He said quickly. “I just noticed that you had a smaller catch than normal, so I thought I’d bring you a present.” He nodded to the deer before walking over and tucking the pansy behind her ear for her. “The flower was an afterthought.” She pulled away from his hand, looking at him for long time.

“What about your family?” She asked, nodding back to the deer.

“We have plenty. We’re apparently much better than you are at the whole hunting game.” She rolled her eyes, looking at him again.

“So, why is it that you never seen to have any of them with you? I think you’re just a wild child and you like to stalk me.” He smirked again at that before leaning down, scooping up the deer onto his shoulder before looking back at her.

“Come along Red, I know your dear old grandmother is getting thin.”

“I can get it.” She tried, but he held the animal just out of her reach. He smiled as she smacked against his chest, steadying herself with her hand before taking a step back. She saw his fingers twitch as she did so, her eyes moving back to his. “I don’t want you to know where I live.” She said simply.

“I already do, you know that.” He chuckled. She opened her mouth to say something, but promptly closed it again. He then smiled at her, nodding down the path. “I’ll keep you safe from the wolves.”

“Please, as if you could-” She had no time to finish her sentence before he whipped out a knife, dropping the deer and backing her against a tree before she knew what was happening, his blade inches from her throat. She just looked at him, her breathing heavy from fright, before he chuckled, stepping back and sliding the knife back into his belt. But then his face turned serious as he stayed close to her.

“If I was a wolf, you’d be dead. You need to be faster, not get distracted.”

“Excuse me if I’m not expecting the neighbor kid to pull a knife on me.” She muttered. He laughed, stepping back and picking up the deer once again. She sighed, giving up as he nodded in the direction of her grandmother’s house again. “You know she’s going to make you stay for dinner.” She said finally.

“That’s the plan my dear little Red.” He laughed. He then started down the road, carrying the deer without issue and not waiting to see if she’d follow. She just stood there for a moment before her fingers traced over her throat again. She then looked back up at his retreating figure, hurrying to catch up.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry this took so long everybody!
I was on vacation, and my hotel had no wifi
But what do you think will happen between Red and Tyler?
Is he stalking her, or just being nice?
Becca is next with some of her mystical magic!
So get excited, and thanks so much for reading!

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee