Status: coming soon

Into the Woods

Snow

Snow sat on the cold hard ground, her legs crossed as she stared intently into the fire. Red was sat opposite; her hands hovered above the flames as she allowed the warmth to tickle her fingertips. Silence engulfed the two, almost comfortable, but with a hint of holding back. Both had wanted to keep yesterday’s events to themselves, Snow especially wanting to keep Dylan as something for herself. Red didn’t need to know just yet. Dylan was like her guilty secret.

“So I bumped into Tyler yesterday,” Red sighed, her eyes finally looking up. Snow pulled a distasteful face. Tyler was an arrogant sod who always liked to rub Snow the wrong way. He liked to brag and rub it in her face when he had a better catch. They sometimes bumped into each other at the market and it would become routine that he would brag when his hunt had earned him double the amount that hers did. However, he was always different around Red. Although he may still be a sod to her, his eyes were always softer when he looked at the brunette. Snow had always wanted to plant her fist into his cheek when he gave Red those eyes; the kind of eyes that looked like they wanted to devour a person.

“What did that imbecile want this time?” Snow snarled, stabbing at the fire to ensure it didn’t die on them. Red chuckled slightly, but she removed her hood and ran a hand through her brown hair.

“The usual,” Red replied, pulling her red cloak tighter around her shoulders as a soft breeze whistled around them.

“That boy needs to take a long walk of a short cliff.” Snow lifted her nose into the air as Red faintly chuckled again.

“I think my grandma has other ideas for him.” Red said quietly, causing Snow to raise her eyes to her friend.

“I love your grandma, but she doesn’t have a good sense of judgement when it comes to people.” Snow laughed. It was always a big thing around the village- who was going to marry who. It was no secret that the current age group of Red and Snow was very little. There were a couple of young lads older and younger who were potential matches, but Tyler was the only boy who shared their age. People talked and they talked about Tyler finally wedding one of the hunter girls; Snow or Red.

Snow scrunched her nose up at the thought of spending her life with Tyler. The two would murder each other before they had a chance to wed.

“I should be heading back,” Snow quickly spoke, lifting her head to the sky and calculating the time. Red looked at her friend and wondered where she needed to be. Her father would be at home for Freya and Snow was looking uncomfortable.

“Sure, I think Grandma will be wondering where I am anyway.” Red scrutinised her friend as she gathered up her belongings. When the girls said goodbye, Snow quickly headed into the direction of her house, but Red noticed a slight change in her route as she quietly followed her friend.

Snow walked through the woodland undergrowth, her brown boots silent against the soft mud and damp leaves. She followed the known trail to her house, but cut off to the left before hitting the opening to the meadow her house was on.

She walked for another ten minutes before she came to a familiar clearing. Red and she no longer hunted here as it was sparse of any wild life any more.

Snow’s blue eyes looked around the small opening before resting on a figure of a man and one of a horse. Snow’s face broke into a smile as she ran towards them.

“Hey,” Snow breathed, stopping short of Dylan, who pulled her closer to his chest.

“Oh how I missed your beautiful face,” Dylan breathed.

A lot had happened after Snow had taken a ride on Dylan’s horse. They had spent hours riding and talking and Snow was sure- falling in love too. It sounded so impossible; to love a man she just met. But she was young and hadn’t felt the way she did before she was with Dylan. People could call her stupid, but she was certain her feelings for him were true.

Dylan placed his lips to hers gently, Snow relishing in his taste. She felt so inexperienced as he held her tight and crashed his lips harder against hers. Snow let out a small sigh as she pulled back, a wide smile on her face.

“I was worried you wouldn’t be here.” Snow said as they sat beside the fire Dylan had made, illuminating light onto her face.

“My father may be strict, but he does allow me my freedom.” Dylan chuckled; brushing his fingers threw her main of blonde waves. He fiddled with the flower piece in her hair and noted the white snowdrops in it that he had picked for her yesterday.

Snow stared at the boy in front of her, never in her wildest dreams believing she had been so lucky to meet a real life prince charming. Dylan had never lied to her about his true identity. Had she been shocked to find out he was in fact the infamous prince, son of the king of this land? Well, yes she had. But it didn’t change anything.

“You will have to meet him soon. He will be overjoyed to hear I have met someone.” Dylan smiled, kissing Snow’s rosy red cheeks. She turned to her love, and frowned.

“But would he condone your love of townsfolk like me?” She asked her blue eyes wide and her mouth slightly agape. Her fingers were subconsciously fiddling with a small red bow tied around the string of his riding hood, a bow she hadn’t recognised before when they met.

“My mother was a seamstress. My father didn’t hesitate in marrying her. I plan on following in his footsteps.” Snow smiled at Dylan’s comment. She was happy she could openly share her love for this wonderful man. She wasn’t sure her father would be happy to hear how easily she was falling for a stranger; but he would understand and when he learnt Dylan was a prince, well she knew the struggling father wouldn’t turn down a room at the castle.

Dylan who was sitting slightly back and into the shadows, moved closer to Snow, his face now being illuminated by the light of the fire. As they moved closer to kiss, a loud gasp broke them apart as their eyes darted to the opening where Snow had originally come from.

“You,” A shaky, familiar voice spoke with an accusing finger pointed at the couple. Snow looked on confused as Dylan looked shocked to see the girl from yesterday he had briefly met. Neither could understand the hurt that was plastered on her face.

“Red,” Snow called, but it was too late, she had run back into the woods. Snow looked at Dylan and frowned. “I need to go after her. Meet me back here tomorrow.” She quickly kissed his startled lips, before taking off into a fast pace run towards Red.

Eleanor Redding. Her best friend. Her sister.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for the wait on this chapter. I won't even bore you with my petty excuses.
Forgive me, please?

Thank you for those who read and stick by this story. We love you all!

-Becca x