‹ Prequel: Wretched Apocalypse
Status: Angels, Demons and Ghosts OH MY!

Celestial Cataclysm

Chapter One - Strange Encounters (Ashley)

May 14th 2016, Boston
​​
It’s been three years since his death, three years since I lost the most important person in my life. Andy, he was beyond remarkable, words really were never enough to say how much of a great man he was. I still grieve, every night, every day, every minute. Sometimes I feel like I’m only in a dream, but then I realise I’m not. I dream of him every night, yet when I wake up I’m alone in this house, the tears falling down my face. I’m coping, slowly but surely, but I can’t stop feeling empty. If only he were still alive. If only...

​​​​My pen slipped from my grip as I sighed heavily, slamming the journal shut. I couldn’t believe it was three years and I’m still grieving over losing Andy. He told me I should never give up but everyday I just want to give up. I ended up getting sent to a therapist, she helped quite a bit, our sessions usually only lasted an hour long, but it helped slightly. She told me I should started writing all my thoughts into a journal. I did buy one, yet this is my first time writing in it, the date of Andy’s death. I dropped my head in my hands as I shook my head, standing up from the small desk in the study. A lot had changed these past few years, I haven’t seen CC, Jinxx or Jake in three years, I’ve made phone calls and video calls, but we’ve never met up again. I guess they just felt they should give me space, I appreciated it, but I missed them, I missed my little band family.
​​
I’d changed quite a bit, not just mentally but physically also. My hair sat just under my chin now, I’d put a deep purple colour through it and only ever straightened it if I went out. I’d grown facial hair, a small beard around my mouth and lightly shaven stubble up my jawline. I got a few more tattoos done on me as well, as well as the words Andy said to me before he ran away from me on that fateful day. CC was shocked when he saw me for the first time after three years on video call, yet he had changed a little too. In fact, so had Jake and Jinxx, most of it just being a hair cut and a few more tattoos, I’m thinking I’m the one who changed the most.
​​
I gave out another sigh as I walked around the room, looking at all the photos I’d kept of Andy and all our friends we’d met along the way. I’d heard from Billie and Mike a few times, I’m happy that they’ve moved on and are at home, happily living with their little family in Oakland. Everyone else seemed to have kept quite and I was understanding about it. I looked at the time as it read 11am.
​​
“Time to go visit Andy,” I hummed.
​​
I left the study as I went into my bedroom and grabbed out my clothes and slipped them on. I didn’t bother about fixing my hair as I wasn’t going anywhere after visiting Andy’s grave. As I got into the foyer I grabbed my coat that sat just above my knees when I put it on and also slipped my shoes on. The graveyard was only a few blocks away, so I usually just walked. I reached the door as I opened it and looked out at the snow covered streets. Rolling my eyes I stepped outside and locked the front door behind me, before I realized I’d forgotten something.
​​
“Shit,” I cursed, going back inside.
​​
I walked into the kitchen as I grabbed the fresh roses from the vase inside the sink and wrapped them up in paper and ribbon. I always left roses by Andy’s grave, he always told me how they were his favourite when they were bright red, they reminded him of his lipstick. It made me chuckle whenever I remembered that, he had the strangest mind but I adored it. My phone started to ring but I ignored it, whoever it was should damn well know I’ll be visiting Andy. I took a deep breath as I left my house again, locking the door and then sauntering down the driveway onto the sidewalk. I shrugged my coat around me more as the wind hit me with a cool sensation.
​​
“Fucking hell it’s cold today,” I shuddered, my breath flowing out like smoke.
​​
The snow crunched under my shoes as I sunk into it slightly. I’ve never seen snow this deep, I’m just hoping it doesn’t wreck these roses overnight. Then again, it’s stupid of me to be placing flowers in the snow. I got told I’m being too hard on myself, but I know I’ve done wrong. I failed at keeping Andy alive, I promised him he’d be alright, he died at the hands of a liar. I sniffed as I tried to hold back the tears, I hated crying, but it beat drinking excessively and doing stupid things that I’d never done in my life. But how the hell can you live with yourself when your mind tells you you’re the one who caused it, it’s your fault. I’m surprised I haven’t been sent to a psychiatric ward yet, I was close to it, but I kept myself away from it. As I turned a corner a young woman was walking in my direction so I moved to the side a little so we didn’t bump into each other.
​​
“Good morning, bit cold huh?” she questioned with a slight accent.
​​
I stopped in my tracks as I turned to look at her, her cheeks were rosy from the cold and she had her hands up to her mouth, breathing on them to keep them warm.
​​
“Uh, yeah a little,” I replied.
​​
She smiled as she looked down, catching a glimpse of the roses in my hand.
​​
“Those for your girlfriend?” she questioned with a small grin.
​​
“Husband, actually,” I answered, starting to feel a little uncomfortable at her sudden invasive behaviour.
​​
“Oh, well, he’s a lucky man then,” she chuckled.
​​
“He’s dead,” I replied, narrowing my eyes.
​​
Her smile disappeared, her lips turning into a thin line as she looked away.
​​
“I’m sorry I didn’t know,” she answered.
​​
I sighed as I shuffled my feet in the snow and bit my lip.
​​
“Sorry, I’m just...stressed and I’m still grieving, it’s a little hard for me,” I mumbled.
​​
“I understand,” she whispered, giving me a small sympathetic look. “I’m Kayla,” she continued, holding her hand out.
​​
I took her hand in mine as I shook it lightly.
​​
“Ashley,” I replied with a small smile.
​​
“Nice name,” Kayla chuckled, letting go of my hand. “Anyways, I better go, I have to work soon, you take care Ashley and keep your head up yeah?” she questioned.
​​
“Of course,” I hummed, giving her a small wave.
​​
Kayla turned as she disappeared around the corner and I shook my head as I turned around and continued on my way. That was all too weird, why did she talk to me in the first place? Maybe she was curious? Did I have some lost look on my face? I furrowed my eyebrows as I shook the thoughts away and went back to thinking about Andy. I’d finally reached the graveyard as I walked in through the metal gates and walked up the concrete pathway, looking out for Andy’s headstone. I got the absolute creeps when I came here, I don’t know what it was but it felt like things were lurking around the joint and it hardly made me stay longer than an hour.
​​
As I took another turn down a pathway I came across the tree where Andy had been buried. It looked beautiful on the day of his funeral and I knew he would have loved it. My chest started to tighten as I got closer. This was always hard for me, it never was easy and I don’t think it ever will be. I stopped in front of his headstone and looked at the inscription on it, tears stinging my eyes.
​​
Andrew Dennis Biersack
​​
December 26th 1990 - May 12th 2013
Beloved husband, son, musician and friend.
​​
“No matter what happens, keep fighting,”

​​​​I gasped as I put my hand up to my mouth in a fist as I tried to keep the tears back.
​​
“No Ashley, you can be strong, you can do this,” I whispered.
​​
I knelt down in front of his grave as I placed the roses against the stone, rubbing some frost away.
​​
“Hey Andy,” I spoke. “Look at me, talking to a gravestone, how ridiculous,” I chuckled.
​​
A stray tear ran down my cheek as I swallowed the lump in my throat, taking in a shuddered breath.

​​“I bumped into a woman in the street when I came to see you. Her name is Kayla, she’s very nice, but I found it odd how she just suddenly talked to me. I told her about you, she thought you were alive but I did have to tell her you were no longer with us,” I continued, resting my hands in my lap. “God I miss you so much,” I sighed, another tear sliding down my cheek.
​​
I shifted a little as I sat in the snow on my backside and crossed my legs.
​​
“Nothing’s the same anymore Andy. I can’t look at couples anymore without wanting to break down and cry. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I know I say this all the time when I come to pay you a visit. But I am truly sorry. I should have been there to protect you. It’s all my fault,” I choked, the tears becoming more prominent.
​​
I wiped my hands under my eyes but more tears just started up again.
​​
“Dammit I promised myself I wouldn’t cry,” I whimpered, running my hands down my face, resting them under my chin. “What do I do Andy? Give me a sign at least, anything. I’m so lost,” I whispered.
​​
Yet all I heard was silence, apart from the whistling of the wind which blew some of my hair in front of my face. I sighed, realizing how pointless and weird this was. Talking to my husband’s spirit? Crazy.
​​
“Well, I can’t stay long as it’s absolutely freezing and I’ve got some work to do at home. I’ll come and visit you tomorrow, I promise,” I mused as I stood up.
​​
I placed my hand on the headstone and blew Andy a kiss.
​​
“I love you, and I miss you,” I whispered, turning away from the grave.
​​
As I walked away I let the tears fall, choking them back as I wiped the tears away on the back of my hand. I slipped my hands in my pockets as I left the cemetery. I did look back once more, seeing a figure standing by Andy’s grave. I furrowed my eyebrows as I saw him place his hand on the headstone.
​​
“Hey!” I yelled, turning back.
​​
The figure turned, his black curled hair blowing gently in the wind, his bright blue eyes locking with mine. He was pretty pale and it looked like he was some sort of ghost. The mystery man smiled slyly before vanishing into thin air and my eyes widened slightly.
​​
“What the hell?” I gasped.
​​
Alright, breathe Ashley, breathe. You’re hallucinating or something stupid like that.
​​
“I need to see my therapist again,” I muttered, turning away as I left out the gates.
​​
The wind started to pick up and I swear it was going to rain so I decided I should probably jog home so I didn’t get caught up in it. My mind was racing slightly after leaving the cemetery. Who was that man? Maybe I was dreaming, but why would I even think of that? I sighed as I grabbed my phone out and called Hannah, hoping she would pick up.
​​
“Ashley?” her voice sounded at the other end.
​​
“Hannah, hi, are you busy? I need to talk about something,” I replied.
​​
There was a pause as I heard pages flick and Hannah hummed quietly.
​​
“Nope, I’m free, you’re welcome to come in, I’ll have a coffee waiting here for you,” she answered.
​​
“Thank you, see you soon,” I sighed with relief.
​​
“Goodbye Ashley,” she chirped, hanging up the phone.
​​
I put my phone back in my pocket as I went left and followed the pathway down to the therapy office. Maybe then I can sleep a bit better tonight.
​​
~~~*~~~
​​
After leaving Hannah’s office I went into the shops to grab some things for dinner. So much for not going out today. I passed a few customers from work who gave me a small wave or a ‘Hello’ as we crossed paths. My motorcycle shop was going great but I also had a side project too which was designing and selling my own clothes. 'Ashley Purdy Inc.' it was called, it flourished within the first week I had a lot of sales and ended up having a lot of out of stock items, people were crazy for them. It had rained while I was in shopping but once I got outside I ended up getting my shoes wet, making my feet cold.
​​
“God dammit so cold,” I shuddered.
​​
I turned down the street where I lived and suddenly my eyes locked with several police cars and an ambulance. They were parked outside my neighbours house and I raised an eyebrow as I made my way over. There was police tape across the gate and I looked into the house as a body was being brought out in a body bag.
​​
“Oh no,” I whispered.
​​
I watched as it wheeled past me and I just knew it was my neighbour Carlos. He was only new here after recently moving from Spain. Now he’s dead, he lived by himself just like me. I walked up to an officer as he was scribbling things on his notepad.
​​
“Excuse me, what happened?” I questioned.
​​
He looked up as he looked at me, his eyes slightly narrowed.
​​
“You know this man?” he asked.
​​
“Yes, I live in that house there,” I replied, pointing next door to the left.
​​
The officer nodded as he put his notepad away.
​​
“Can you tell me anything, did Mr Versalies have any people who he didn’t get along with?” he questioned.
​​
“Not that I know of, he only recently moved here, he only knew me and his neighbour on the right,” I replied, looking at the officer. “Do you mind if I go in and look? Please? I did forensics in school for a while,” I continued.
​​
The officer looked like he was hesitating for a moment before lifting the police tape.
​​
“Go on, I’ll put your groceries in my squad car, you’ve got ten minutes,” he issued.
​​
I nodded in thanks as I slipped under the tape and walked up the steps of Carlos’ house, walking into the main room where I saw bloody hand prints on the wall.
​​
“Oh god,” I gasped, walking down the narrow hallway as I arrived in the lounge.
​​
There was a huge patch of blood on the rug where Carlos must have died. Everything was smashed and ripped to pieces, more hand prints scattered on the walls and floorboards. My eyes darted to a strange symbol and I knelt down as I flicked my hand over it, picking up wet paint on my fingers.
​​
“Must have happened a few moments ago,” I whispered as I stood up.
​​
I grabbed out my phone as I quickly snapped a picture before continuing on my way. I’d kindly asked another forensics worker what had happened and he told me they found the body on the rug, his throat slit yet there was no evidence left behind apart from the symbol on the ground which Carlos must have made.
​​
“Probably some crazy ass man with mental issues who probably slit his own throat or something,” the worker mused. “This symbol has something to do with the Devil or something, he must have been involved in some weird cult,” he continued.
​​
I nodded my head as I thanked him before I walked back through the house and out to the officer who was talking to a paramedic.
​​
“Find anything useful?” he asked.
​​
“Nothing really,” I replied. “Thank you for letting me in there though, I hope you find out the cause,” I added before I grabbed my groceries and headed back to my house.
​​
As I unlocked the front door I stepped inside, slamming the door shut as I locked it and shrugged my coat off before throwing it into the small wardrobe. I made my way to the kitchen as I put the groceries down before going around the house, locking the windows, doors and pulling all the curtains closed. My heart was pounding in my chest from slight fear. I don’t know whether I was just imagining things or something seriously freaky was going on.
​​
“If only Andy were here,” I sighed, biting my lip as I closed my eyes.
​​
I pushed myself off the counter as I put the food away and went back into my study. I flicked the light switches, the dim light glowing over at my desk as I stuck some Motley Crue on and sat myself down. I grabbed the whiskey by my desk and poured myself a glass, taking a huge gulp of it as it burned down my throat.
​​
“Let’s see if I can find anything on the internet,” I mumbled, pulling out my phone.
​​
I plugged it into my laptop as the folder came up and I opened the image of the symbol on Carlos’ floor. I then opened up my browser as I typed in ‘Devil’s Trap’ and waited.
​​
“Woah,” I gasped as multiple things came up along with images.
​​
They matched they exact same description as the one in the photo I took. I scrolled down a little as I clicked on a link, waiting for it to open up.
​​
Devil’s Trap; a mystical symbol used to immobilize and control demons. Devil's traps also inhibit the use of some demonic powers.

​​​​I raised an eyebrow as I scrolled down further, seeing image after image of this symbol. I took another drink as I went back and typed in something else, clicking on the first link that came up.
​​
Supernatural; manifestations or events considered to be of supernatural origin, such as ghosts, demons, vampires, werewolves etc.“

​​​​This can’t be real,” I muttered.
​​
I went back again, typing in the word ‘Demon’ to see what came up then.
​​
Demon; a demon is considered an unclean spirit, sometimes a fallen angel, the spirit of a deceased human, or a spirit of unknown type which may cause demonic possession, calling for an exorcism. A demon will use a humans blood to make a call to Hell by slitting the victims throat as they bleed out into a dish. The most plausible way to apprehend a demon is salt or holy water to prevent them from attacking, before stabbing them through the chest, stomach or neck with a Demon blade.
​​
​​I slammed my laptop shut as I sat back in my chair, resting my fingertips against my mouth as I closed my eyes and sighed.
​​
“Stop beng an idiot Ashley, it’s all just silly folklore and none of it has actually be proven to be true,” I mumbled.
​​
I sighed as I grabbed my drink and walked out of the study, going into the lounge room as I started pacing around the room. It was probably a freak accident, or maybe a murder. Maybe the murderer was really smart and skilled so he or she knew how to dispose of evidence. I groaned as I dropped to the couch, covering my face with my hands.
​​
Suddenly my phone started ringing and I shrieked as I jumped slightly before frowning, realizing it was only my phone. I stood up as I walked over to the small table over the other side of the room and picked up the phone.
​​
“Hello?” I answered.
​​
“About time you answered!” a voice yelled.
​​
“Oh, CC, its you, hey,” I sighed.
​​
“Dude are you alright you sound a little shaky?” he asked over the line.
​​
I paused for a moment as I walked back into the lounge and sat down on the couch, taking another long sip from my drink.
​​
“CC, I need to talk to you about something,” I answered, lowering my head as I looked at the silver band on my ring finger.
​​
“I think I’m going crazy,” ​​
♠ ♠ ♠
Got stuck into this in the early hours of the morning. As you probably realised it was Benedict that was by Andy's grave. Hope you enjoy. Prepare yourselves, the big surprise is coming in the next chapter!