‹ Prequel: My Darling
Sequel: Again and Again
Status: Enjoy! Ehehehe

Through the Glass

One

Pulling the veil down over her face, Cora sighs and heads out of her chambers into the hall. Guards bow their heads in respect and Cora keeps her head straight forward as she walks. The closer she gets to the main entrance of the Palace, the louder voice get and Cora bites her lower lip. Cora’s heels click on the stone flooring and Thor’s head turns to the right. Thor gives Cora a tight smile and she wraps her arms around him. Thor hugs Cora tightly and Cora runs her hand through his hair affectionately, saying nothing. Thor pulls away and gives Cora a thankful smile, but it falls when he looks pass Cora’s shoulder. Turning around, Cora frowns seeing Xaven with a black veil covering her face. Her shoulders are slumped and she’s clearly trembling, Cora looks at Thor and Thor looks lost. Lady Ariana walks beside Xaven without a veil and when she reaches Cora, she gives her a hug.

Thor whispers unknown words to Xaven and Xaven nods her head before she stands beside Cora with her head down. Cora wraps an arm around Xaven’s waist and the young girl rests her head on Cora’s shoulder. “It is okay to cry,” Cora tells Xaven and Xaven shakes her head.

“Princesses do not show weakness in front of their subjects,” Xaven mutters out and Cora stasy quite knowing that Lady Ariana is the one who told Xaven that. Frigga soon joins the family and she gives Xaven a tight hug before she kisses her temple.

“We will get through this little one,” Frigga says and Xaven nods her head. Frigga takes her place on the right side of Thor and Cora links arms with Xaven.

“I’m right here,” Cora says and she holds her head up high as the guards get ready to open the doors. Xaven lifts her head, copying Cora and she presses her lips into a tight line as the doors open. The family of five walk out of the Palace and everyone is wearing black or their battle armor. The royal family keeps to the back of the mass of bodies as they head to the edge of the water. Once at the edge of the water, people move out of the way for the royal family and Cora can see the looks on everyone’s faces as they look at Xaven, she can see what they are thinking. Here comes the girl with the broken smile…Xaven’s hold on Cora’s hand tightens when they reach the edge of the water and she sees Odin’s body in the boat. Frigga motions for Xaven to come to her side and Cora gives her a gentle push forward.

Clearing his throat, Thor makes a speech and Frigga says a small prayer before they send the boat off down the river towards the waterfall. Xaven looks over her shoulder and she holds out her hand for Cora. Cora smiles sadly and takes hold of the young girl’s hand, standing by her side. “Farewell Allfather,” Cora whispers and Xaven’s tears start to fall when the boat floats off the waterfall and into the air. Frigga cries silently and she holds Xaven close to her side, feeling her granddaughter’s pain. Odin’s spirit lights up and takes to the sky making Thor’s eyes glaze over in tears. He blinks his eyes rapidly and Ariana wraps her arms around his waist, resting her head on Thor’s chest.

“He has gone to Valhalla,” Frigga whispers and she kisses the top of Xaven’s head as the last of Odin’s spirit disappears.

Image

“He is dead?” Loki’s voice is unbelieving and full of…sorrow? Turning around, Loki looks at Frigga and tears are silently falling down her face.

“Odin was a stubborn man, but he loved you.” Loki bites his lip to keep from saying anything rude. “Can you find it in your heart to forgive him?” Frigga asks and Loki runs a hand through his unruly hair.

“It matters not what I can and cannot find in my heart. Odin is dead and here I stand, still in this hell while…” Loki’s eyes widen as a thought crosses his mind. “Thor.” Loki narrows his eyes and Frigga sighs seeing that Loki has already figured out the other reason she has come to visit him. “Thor is going to be the King,” Loki states and his voice is rough, like it pains him to say it out loud.

Frigga nods her head and Loki scarfs, “Loki ple-”

“That giant dolt will burn this Kingdom into the ground! How can you be so stupid? Are you that blinded by grief that you will-”

“Enough!” Frigga snaps and Loki’s mouth hangs open as he stares at Frigga in shock. She has never snapped at him, not even as a child. Frigga claps her hands in front of her and looks at Loki sadly, “Thor has changed and he is ready for the throne. Asgard will do just fine under his rule. I may even be able to set you free.”

Loki shakes his head and laughs without any humor as his eyes come to life with malice, “Set me free? After I nearly destroyed his lovely little planet? Oh Frigga…grief has made you mad.”

“And what of Cora?” Frigga questions ignoring Loki’s bitterness. Loki’s lips twitch at the mention of Cora and Frigga notices. “She still wears the ring you gave to her and she has turned down every man who has courted her. Do you not wish to see her again?”

Loki stares at Frigga and smirks, “Well played. Appeal to my more…gentler side if I dare say so.” Loki starts to pace back and forth as he thinks over Frigga question. "How long have I been down here?”

“Tomorrow will be one century.”

“A century?” Loki repeats, his voice hushed in mock amazement. “One hundred years…36,524 days and counting.” Loki licks over his lips and smirks, “Cora has waited for me all this time? I do commend her commitment, such a loyal woman. Has she gotten rid of that ungodly hairstyle and color?” Loki questions and Frigga smiles, but nods her head. “I would give anything to see her again…” Loki whispers all joking aside. Turning his back to Frigga, Loki walks over to his cot and sits down. “She still cares for me then?” Loki’s voice is unsure and Frigga frowns at his tone.

“Cora cares for you deeply, my son. It would be such a shame to throw that kind of love away,” Frigga explains and Loki fiddles with his thumbs, his eyes on the floor as he thinks over Frigga’s words.

“Thor will not free me. The damage has already been done…love is simply not in my-”

“Love is for everyone. Even those who get lost along the way.”

“Is that what I am? Lost?”

“I believe at a time, yes, you were lost.”

“Am I not lost now?” Loki picks his head up and he is surprised to see such strong emotions of love and forgiveness in Frigga’s eyes.

Frigga smiles knowingly and shakes her head, “No. Not anymore.”

“…I forgive him.” With that said, Frigga’s form quivers and glows green before is disappears leaving Loki alone in his cell.

Image

“You ready?”

“Do I have to do this? Can’t I just stay in my room?”

“Your Father is about to be crowned King, he needs your support.”

“He has Arana.” Cora watches Xaven with understanding eyes and she walks father into the Xaven’s chambers, sitting down on the bed.

“Sit with me little dove,” Cora orders lightly as she pats the space beside her. Xaven sighs and walks over to the bed, sitting beside Cora. Cora smiles at Xaven and Xaven looks down at her hands in her lap. “Once upon a time there was a Princess who lived in a beautiful palace. She was adored by her father and loved dearly by her mother. The young Princess was the talk of the town, the towns people gossiped that the Princess would never be fit to rule, though they made sure their whispered words were never heard by the royal guards. You see the Princess was shy, she didn’t like being the center of attention and when she had to meet new people it took hours to get the Princess out of her room.” Xaven smiles and blushes knowing that the story is about herself.

“That only happened a few times,” Xaven says softly and Cora smiles.

“One day the King and Queen decided to throw a ball, it was the Princess’ coming of age party and they invited everyone from the Nine Realms. When the Princess heard of the news she was beyond scared and made a silent vow to run away.” Cora notices movement form the corner of her eye and she smirks to herself as she continues the story. “The Princess tired many times to run, but she could never bring herself to fully go through with it, often stopping in the stables and falling asleep with her Father’s steed.”

“Her Father’s steed must have been very gentle huh?” Xaven questions and Cora nods her head.

“He was the gentlest steed to ever been born and the Princess could not steal her Father’s horse. The night of the coming of age party soon came and the Princess finally found enough courage to flee.” Cora takes hold of Xaven’s hand and she bites back a smile when a deep voice fills the room.

“The Princess ran from the Palace-” Xaven gasps and she turns her head only to see her father, Thor standing in the door way of her bed chamber. Thor smiles at her daughter and walks farther into the room as he continues on with the story. “The King knew something was wrong the moment the Princess stepped foot out of the Palace and he took off running in search of his daughter.” Thor sits beside Xaven on her bed and grabs hold of her free hand. “The King found the Princess at the edge of the water with his steed and he could not find it in himself to be angry. The Princess was scared and she cried, pleading for her father to let her go, but the King was selfish and would not let her go.” Tears well in Xaven’s eyes and Thor wipes them away with his thumb, “The King needed his daughter. She gave him strength and hope when there was none to be found. She made the King laugh and his stomach hurt with joy when he was down. The King loved his daughter very much and-” Xaven throws her arms around Thor and Thor holds her tightly as she cries into his shoulder. Cora smiles at the family and she quietly leaves the bed chamber, waiting for the duo in the sitting room.

“Tell me your fears little one,” Thor prompts softly and Xaven pulls her face away from Thor staring up into his blue eyes.

“I-I,” Xaven stumbles over her words and Thor smiles down at her lovingly.

“Listen to me, Xaven. Nothing between us with change. You are my daughter and I am your father, we are each other’s kin.”

“Lady Ariana-” Thor shakes his head and kisses Xaven’s forehead.

“She has not and never will take me away from you. You are my daughter and I will put you before all else. Do you dislike Lady Ariana?” Thor questions and Xaven shakes her head.

“I love mother, but I fear that you will start a new family and cast me aside.”

“No,” Thor’s voice is firm and he speaks. “I wish not to have any more heirs and even if I do, I could never cast you aside. You are my first born, I raised you alone for how long? Nothing can server that bond.”

“Promise?” Xaven asks, her brown eyes full of hope and Thor smiles hugging her close to him.

“I promise you no matter what happens, when you look back, I’ll always be here.” Xaven smiles and jumps up off the bed. She quickly fixes her makeup and hair before she looks over at Thor.

“Let’s go get your crown!” Xaven says excitedly and Thor laugh, standing to his feet. He hold out his arm and Xaven links elbows with him. Together the two walk into the sitting room and Cora smiles at them.

“Ready now?” Cora asks looking at Xaven and Xaven nods her head. Cora grins and motions for Thor to head out the room. Thor bows to Cora and leads Xaven out the room with Cora right behind them.

Image

“Hail to the King!” Volstagg shouts as Thor walks over to his friends with Queen Ariana on his arm.

Thor laughs and shakes his head at his friend, “My friend, you do me a great honor,” Thor praises and Volstagg laughs loudly as he downs his goblet of mead.

“My King, I do think that title fits you well,” Fandral comments and Hogun rolls his head, but nods his agreement.

“I am proud to serve you my King,” Hogun states before he places his fist over his heart and bows. Thor returns the gesture and pats Hogun on the shoulder.

“Have any of you seen Xaven?” Lady Ariana asks and the Warrior’s Three shake their heads. Queen Ariana frowns and Thor kisses her temple.

“Do not fret, my Queen. Xaven is around here somewhere,” Thor states and Queen Ariana nods her head.

On the dance floor, Xaven dances around with different men of her age while Cora looks on with a watchful eye. Frigga stands beside Cora and she smiles happily at her granddaughter, “She will make a fine Queen someday,” Frigga says and Cora agrees with her. Frigga turns her attention to Cora and turns her body slightly.

“My Queen?”

“You have not danced with anyone tonight,” Frigga states with knowing eyes and Cora shrugs her shoulders before she looks back at Xaven who is laughing in some young boy’s arms. “You wish for Loki to be here, do you not?”

“More than anything…” Cora whispers and Frigga cannot help, but notice that Cora sounds just like Loki.

“All good things come to those who wait,” Frigga mutters before she walks off leaving Cora alone as she searchers for Thor.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took forever to get out...not really sure why. To be honest, I am not really sure if I want to turn this in to a full blown story or just make it a short story like the others. If I do make this a short story, then you can expect a full length to come shortly after.

Odin's Funeral: Cora, Xaven and Lady Ariana
Thor's Coronation: Cora and Xaven

Comment. Subscribe. Recommend.