‹ Prequel: My Darling
Sequel: Again and Again
Status: Enjoy! Ehehehe

Through the Glass

Five

Lying in bed, Cora stares out the window at the starry night sky. It’s late and Cora cannot sleep, her mind will not stop playing memories from her past. The fight with Thor struck a nerve with Cora, she never thought that Thor of all people would ever speak with such hate, not now, not with how much he has changed. Rolling on to her back, Cora sighs and wipes at her eyes feeling tears collecting at the corners. If Cora had it her way, Loki would be free from prison and being sleeping in her arms. If Loki was free at this moment, Cora smiles at the thought. What would Loki being doing at this hour? A voice deep inside tells Cora that Loki would be in her bed and another voice was Loki would be between Cora’s thighs. Cora’s face heats up and she shakes her head, sitting up.

Throwing her legs over the side of the bed, Cora slips her feet into a pair of slippers and she stands, grabbing her robe off the chair in front of the vanity as she heads to the sitting area. Walking over to the book self, Cora’s eyes skim over the different titles on the spins of the books and she plucks an old leather book. The cover is worn, the pages are yellowed from age and the binding is almost gone. Cora smiles fondly at the book in her hands and glances out the window into the darkness. No one is up at this hour and since Cora will not be sleeping any time soon, she decides that a midnight sitting in the library and a good book will help pass the time.

With the book tucked carefully in her arms, Cora leaves her chambers and shuts the door behind her quietly. Cora’s footfalls are nearly silent as she enjoys the cool breeze blowing through the palace. The halls are abandoned except for the few guards standing watch and Cora nods to them kindly as she passes. The guards all watch her go, giving no thought as to why she is up so late at night. Over the last century the guards have to an understanding that Cora is different than the rest of the royal family. In front of the library, four guards stand outside of the door and Cora hides her confusion. The guards stare at Cora and she clears her throat, “Is there something wrong with the library?”

“No mi ’lady. Queen Frigga is inside,” one of the guards explains and Cora smiles.

“Alone?” Cora questions and the guards nod their heads. “I will read with her.” Two guards pull open the doors and Cora walks in. Her steps are silenced by the red rug on the floor and Cora hugs her book closer to her chest shivering as the warmth of the library washes over her. Not wanting to disturbed Frigga, Cora refrains from calling out her name and instead chooses to search for Frigga quietly. Knowing that Frigga looks her fair share of magic, Cora heads deep into the library towards the magic section. Turning the first corner, Cora stops when she hears Frigga’s voice and Cora smiles. She always loved it when Frigga read out loud when she was younger. Following Frigga’s voice, Cora’s smile starts to fade when she hears another voice, but she’s too far to tell if it is man or woman.

An orange and green glow comes from a few rows down from Cora and she bites her lip. Is Frigga teaching someone magic? Following the glow, Cora is quick to hide behind one of the bookshelves when she hears Frigga sigh. Cora holds her breath and tries to listen to what Frigga is saying, but it’s muffled. Cora’s brows furrow together, maybe Frigga is using a spell to keep her conversation unknown. “You do not have to hide,” Frigga’s voice is clear as bells and Cora jumps, startled by the sudden clarity. Feeling like a small child, Cora gulps and slowly comes out from behind the bookshelf. Frigga is facing Cora with a knowing smile on her face, “Would you like to see?” Frigga stretches out her arm and beckons Cora over, her smile not faulting at all.

Seeing that she has not interrupted anything of importance, Cora walks over to Frigga and offers her a small smile. Frigga laughs and brushes a few strands of Cora’s hair from her face. “I’m sorry my Queen,” Cora mummers and Frigga smiles wrapping an arm around Cora’s shoulders.

“Do not worry my dear, it is fine. Now would you like to see what I was doing?” Frigga asks and Cora nods her head. Frigga grins and points to a nearby table, “On that table is a spell and its ingredients are there as well. Gather them for me and bring them here.” Cora does as she is told and quickly gathers the six ingredients that the paper says. In the dim lighting, Cora cannot make out what the spell is, but she is eager to learn it. Carrying the ingredients over to Frigga, Cora waits for the next instructions. “Throw them in the fire.” Cora lets the ingredients fall from her arms into the small fire that Frigga has burning in front of them. The fire glows orange and purple and Cora is memorized by the colors. Frigga smiles to herself and pulls a single lock of black hair from her pocket, “Now put this in there as well.” Frigga hands the lock of hair to Cora and Cora looks at it confused. “Nothing with harm you, I promise.”

Cora tosses the black hair into the flames and she shields her eyes when the fire brighten into a single green flame. The flame dies down and Cora slowly lowers her arms from her face. Cora’s eyes widen when she stares right into a pair of dazzling stormy blue eyes. Blue eyes stare back wide, unblinking and unbelieving. There is no smile, no sudden flash of love nor any happiness, only shock and betrayal. “…Loki?” Cora breaths out finding her voice and she reaches out, but Loki shakes his head making Cora’s drop her arm at her side.

“We cannot touch.” Loki’s voice sends chills up Cora’s spin and the book in her arm falls to the floor with a thud. In his cell, Loki paces back and forth, his mind racing as he forces himself to keep his eyes off of Cora.

Cora watches Loki, her eyes tearing up as Loki’s face contorts into one of anguish and irritation. Cora bites her lower lip feeling her throat going dry as she watches Loki; he gives no sign that he is happy to see Cora and Cora’s heart beats painfully in her chest as one thought crosses her mind. Opening her mouth, Cora finds that her voice has left her and Frigga frowns as she watches the young lovers. Without a sound, Frigga turns on her heel and leaves, letting Cora and Loki have their time alone after a century apart. Cora’s right hand goes to the ring finger of her left hand and she twists the ring around on her finger. Feeling the cool metal on her skin, Cora swallows thickly and forces the words out, “Say that you love me.”

Loki stops pacing, his back is ridged and he slowly turns to face Cora, his eyes going right to the ringer on her left hand. Loki laces his fingers together in front of him and he raises his head, letting his eyes meet Cora’s. Cora’s eyes shine brightly with tears and Loki can read the doubt and hope on her beautiful face. “Why do you have such faith in me? You’ve seen what I can do! That all I ever touch or cherish crumbles before my very eyes! Through my arrogance you have suffered personal losses! So how can you stand there and still believe that I can be redeemed?” Loki yells staring at Cora in wonder. “How is it a simple woman like you can have such sincere conviction that there’s still a chance for me… when I’ve all but given up myself?”

Cora openly gazes at Loki, her eyes scrutinizing everything about Loki before she smiles sadly. “After all that we have been though, you still doubt my love for you? Loki,” Cora shows Loki her left hand, “I forgave you long ago.” Cora whispers and drops her hand.

A smile, a real smile finds its way onto Loki’s face and he licks his lips as he laughs lightly; his heart feeling much lighter knowing that he has Cora’s love and forgiveness. “I love you so much it hurts.” The tears fall from Cora’s eyes and the tightness around her heart loosens making it easier to breath. Loki’s fingers twitch, how he wishes he could touch Cora, wipe her tears away, hold her, kiss her…love her. “Don’t cry darling. It pains me to see you cry and not be able to stop the tears.”

Cora wipes at her face, trying to stop her tears, but it’s no use. Loki is here in front of her, she is talking to him and he loves her. “I-I love you,” Cora cries and nods his head, unlacing his fingers to push his hair out of his face.

Noticing that Cora’s tears have slowed down Loki smirks and clears his throat, “I hear that I have emerald eyes that like to change the color of the sky after a storm.” Loki’s voice is teasing and he laughs seeing the blush on Cora’s face. “So it’s true? Please do tell me more about myself. I have wondered many times how I am seen through your eyes.”

Cora shakes her head and tucks some hair behind her ear, “May I ask you a question?” Loki nods his head, his smile now gone knowing that whatever Cora has to ask is no laughing matter. “Is there any hope for us?”

Loki purses his lips in thought and sighs, “I do not have the answer darling. It would be a lie to say I have faith in Mother and the little one…Xaven to get me out of this forsaken Hell. I would move realms to have you in my arms again. I would swear an oath of loyalty to that half-witted bone-head, you call a King if it meant me being able to call you mine once and for all.” Cora stares at Loki, shocked by his honestly and Loki notices. Loki smiles sheepishly and rubs the back of his neck, a blush reddening his pale cheeks.

Cora glances down at the ring on her finger and smiles to herself, “If you asked…I would not say no.” Cora’s voice is so soft that Loki almost missed her confession, but ears caught it.

"Would you have me even now, stripped of my rank and left to toil in a cell? Am I still that princely to you?" Loki questions, his voice unsure if he heard Cora correctly.

Cora nods her head, “Your title I would bare proudly.” Loki presses his lips into a tight line and looks down at his slipper clad feet. “Would you have me?” Cora asks, her voice timid and Loki clears his throat nodding his head.

“I would have you a million times over, my darling.” This time it is Cora’s turn to blush from Loki’s crude joke and Loki smirks, happy that he is once again in control of the situation. “I long for you to bear me a child; that your belly should grow round and swollen with my seed so that all who gaze upon you will know that you are mine, and mine alone." Cora’s eyes widen and Loki smirks, “You wear one ring already, I would like to see another around that finger.”

“I do not understand you at times,” Cora grumbles and Loki raises his eyebrow. “You speak of such self-loathing like you are unworthy of love and yet here you are speaking thoughts of a future that I have only dreamed about. I want nothing more than for you to be set free. I want to marry you and raise your children. I want to fight, laugh and cry with you. I want you in my life, I always have, but that cannot happen if you will not forgive yourself.” Cora stares at Loki with piercing eyes as she continues. “Will you do it Loki? Will you forgive yourself and those who have wronged you for a change at a future with me?” Forgive himself? Loki has never even thought of doing such a thing. It was Loki rage that got him in prison and now Cora wants him to simply forget about it? Loki is haunted by his actions, he cannot simply forget- “I see every thought in your eyes, my Prince. To forgive does not mean you need to forget. Just forgive yourself, stop these feelings of hate and anger, they are poison.”

“I will try, but I make no promises.”

“That is all I ask of you, my Prince. I am-” Cora yawns and Loki chuckles.

“Get some sleep darling. I take it Mother has shown you the spell?” Cora nods her head. “I am not going anywhere, if you wish to speak again you know how.” Loki smiles at Cora and she bites her lip. “Sleep well Cora.”

“Goodnight Loki,” Cora mummers and with a wave of her hand she puts the fire out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cora's nightgown
Loki's outfit

Comment. Subscribe. Recommend.