Status: In progress!

A New Chapter.

Two.

I literally had nothing to say, absolutely nothing.

It was no secret that the Penguin’s players were up for a good time after their home games; win or lose. I had run in to quite a few players over the last couple years, sometimes they even wandered into my bar. However, their captain was hardly ever seen out and about with the boys.

So what had I done to not only get the pleasure of meeting the great hockey legend, but also insult him at the same time? Karma was not on my side right now to say the least.

“I promise I don’t bite.” Crosby said as his stretched out his hand closer to me. As welcoming as this gesture seemed, I was too embarrassed to sit there any longer.

“Sorry, I have to go.” I practically mumbled under my breath as I grabbed my belongings and left. I’m pretty sure I heard him say something back as I marched towards the exit, but I honestly didn’t care. If there was one thing that I, Danielle Blake, was good at it was running from my problems.

It didn’t take long to find a cab and get home. I had texted Jessica on the way and although she hadn’t replied, I wasn’t worried. Nights like tonight were becoming more frequent now than ever.

When I had first gotten to Pittsburgh, all I wanted to do was party. That was kind of how I ended up with the job at the bar and even after work I wanted to still be in that atmosphere. It was typically for Jess and I to get off at midnight and go bar hopping until they kicked us out. Sometimes we continued the party at guy’s houses if we had found keepers for the night. Life had just been one big party.

Once I hit the ripe old age of 24 a couple of months ago, I knew I needed to start growing up. I started taking my nursing job more seriously and cut back on my hours at the bar. I hardly ever went out anymore either.

Having showered, slipped in to some comfy clothes, and set my alarm I slowly started to drift off to sleep; desperately trying to forget my run in with Sidney Crosby.

********

“You! Shook me ALLLLLL night long! Ya, ya, you!”

I drowsily hit the button on my alarm. As much as I knew I needed to get up and around, my body was exhausted from the night before. I had tossed and turned all night still embarrassed by the mere thought of Fuel.

I groaned and forced myself to get out of bed.

45 minutes later I was strolling in to Pittsburgh Memorial Hospital with a Venti Carmel Macchiato in hand. After getting my stuff put away in the locker room, I made my way out on to the floor.

“Hey you!” A voice greeted me after I turned the corner and made my way to the receptionist desk.

“Allie!” I practically squealed and knocked her off her feet as I gave her a huge hug.

Allie was another good friend I had made my first couple of months in town. She was sassy and the most independent girl I had ever met. A couple of months ago her mom had been placed in to hospice care and Allie had rushed home to be by her side. She had passed only a couple of weeks ago, and I had not expected to see my red headed friend for a while.

We caught up a bit before Angela, our head nurse, cut our conversation short.

“Welcome back Miss Allie. As a present I got you a couple of VIP’s this afternoon.”

We gave each other smug looks. VIP’s either went one of two ways depending on who they were. Our faces must have tipped off Angela that we were curious as all get out.

“Get ready for some Penguins players to come in in a couple minutes. I guess one of the idiots took a puck to the jaw and needs some stiches. I’m sure his teammates will be by at some point too. You girls get him settled, clean it out, and get him started on something for the pain. Got it?”

We shook our heads obediently.

“Hells yes, first day back and I get some hockey eye candy to stare at? I’ll take it.”

I laughed, even though my stomach was in knots.

“Omg, Dani! What if it’s Sidney Crosby?!”

The knots tightened.

I didn’t know what to say back to her, but fortunately enough I didn’t have to explain anything. A couple moments later, Beau Bennett and what looked to be a trainer were making their way down the hall and towards us. Beau was obviously in pain as he held a towel up to the side of his jaw.

“Oh fuck. Of course the two girl’s stitching me up are hot as hell. I really am good looking ladies, and not a whimp. Promise.” The hockey player winced as he talked and we got him to sit down.

We both laughed.

Allie tried to make small talk with him as I looked at the cut. Pretty deep, but at least it wasn’t dirty. I was in the middle of getting together some solution to clean it out when I heard the curtain pull back.

Thinking it was Angela coming to check on us, I turned around without even thinking. Little did I know, I would be in a dead locked staring contest with the player I had just insulted the night before.

Fuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun, dun, dun!!!