Status: In progress!

A New Chapter.

Three.

“So you’re a nurse?” Crosby finally broke the awkward silence and tension that had filled the room. The only thing I could do was gulp.

“What the hell Dani?! You told me nothing new or exciting had happened lately! Why the fuck would you leave out meeting Sidney Crosby!” An angry Allie yelled in my direction.

“I didn’t meet him. He’s delusional.” I retorted back. It was a partially true statement, and Crosby called my bluff.

“Yeah, actually we haven’t met. You see I tried to introduce myself to her last night, but she left before I got the chance. I actually had no idea her name was Dani until a couple seconds ago. Thanks.” He said in a sarcastic, matter of factly tone.

“My name is Danielle. Not Dani.” I whipped back at him. “Only close friends and family can call me that and seeing as you aren’t one of them, its Danielle to you.”

Smart mouth Crosby had no comeback to that one.

“Ladies, let’s play nicely here and help the guy with the fucked up jaw now.” A medicated Beau Bennett finally said after a couple moments of silence.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing. Everything I had ever read about him said he was the jokester on the team (well, one of many) and some of the comments he had made throughout the day only solidified it.

I made an angry couple of steps towards Crosby before he took a couple back behind the curtain. I grabbed the top part from his hands and began to close them.

“Sorry, Mr. Crosby but you’ll have to wait out here until we’re done.”

He grimaced.

“Fine, Danielle.” He said as he dragged out my name and turned to leave.

***
Sidney’s POV

There she was. The girl that had run out before I even got to formally introduce myself and get her name. Never in a million years did I think I would see her again, and of course the moment I did I was right back to square one.

Let’s be honest, girls were not my strong suit. I could navigate my way through a rink full of opposing players, do fancy moves all day around a goalie, and make seemingly impossible passes but when it came to the female species I was completely lost.

The previous night at Fuel, I had found my way to the bar while my teammates made their presence very well known around the club. They had convinced me to go out with them, but something about taking body shots off puck bunnies wasn’t very appealing.

Dani looked just about as out of place as I did when I noticed her take a seat next to me. Something about the cowgirl outfit she had going on just didn’t jive with the atmosphere. Watching her yell at the screen as the highlight reel ran is what really got me though. Hearing her talk about the game made me 100% positive that this girl actually knew a little something, something about hockey. To a guy like me, there was nothing sexier than that.

Now, Sidney Crosby did not always introduce himself to girls but when he did he expected them to be just a little excited; not take off and run away. I had mopped around Fuel for the rest of the night just thinking about her.

And there she was, kicking me out of my own teammate’s hospital cubical. I had done absolutely nothing to this girl!

I knew I was getting worked up and didn’t want to make a scene. Frustrated, I yanked my cellphone out of my pocket.

“Sid! Long time no talk bud!” My manager exclaimed over the phone.

I rolled my eyes. There was a reason why I never called John or really never wanted to sit down and have any sort of conversation. He was a nice guy, but he liked to make a big deal out of the smallest of things. I knew with this request it was going to be no different.

“Yeah, hey I need a favor.”

“Anything for you kid. What’s going on?”

I sighed.

“I need you to get me two tickets for tomorrow night’s game. I want the best one’s you can get. Either on the glass somewhere or right behind our bench.”

“The parent’s coming in to town?” John asked inquisitively. Exactly what I expected from him. He just couldn’t fulfill my requests, he had to know what was going on.

“No. Two uhm, uhm, friends.” I barely choked out. Now I knew I was done.

“Sound like Sidney Crosby is trying to impress a FEMALE friend.” I could just picture the smug look on John’s face. He had been trying to get me out in to the dating scene for a while now and I had always refused.

“Whatever, just can you get me the fucking tickets?” I was beyond annoyed.

He laughed on the other end.

“Yep, two tickets are coming your way.”

I hung up without saying thanks. Now it was time to convince Danielle that she needed to go to that game. I was going to change this girl’s opinion on me no matter what it took.